Going over sugar limit?

Options
I ran 2.5 miles today, and I didn't add that in, but I'm concerned that even though I am under the calorie limit the excessive sugar is going to effect my weight loss.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Not likely. What's the sugar coming from, mostly fruits & veggies or candy bars & ice cream? :tongue:
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Not likely. What's the sugar coming from, mostly fruits & veggies or candy bars & ice cream? :tongue:

Mine is most definitely coming from ice cream and candy bars.
    Eating my pint right meow.
    :O
  • yoshigreen94
    Options
    My diaries open, feel free to take a look. I eat really healthy usually... I had chocolate tonight because I was 440 calories over and ran. Slight treat :) But then I always feel guilty after eating, like even though I was under my limit I totally ruined my day of dieting by eating chocolate.
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    KIND dark chocolate bar with nuts and sea salt. Five g of sugar (honey). This keeps me from overdoing my sugar on most days. I still eat cheese and fruit, but rarely have a glass of milk now because it's loaded with sugar--always puts me over my limit (33 g) for the day if I have any fruit or sweet veggies.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    KIND dark chocolate bar with nuts and sea salt. Five g of sugar (honey). This keeps me from overdoing my sugar on most days. I still eat cheese and fruit, but rarely have a glass of milk now because it's loaded with sugar--always puts me over my limit (33 g) for the day if I have any fruit or sweet veggies.

great tip! thanks!
  • atlchc8
    atlchc8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So is fructose and sucrose in many fruits? I tend to always go over my sugar limit too but it's because there is sugar in things I wouldn't expect like carrots.
  • Freebird_
    Freebird_ Posts: 15
    Options
    My diaries open, feel free to take a look. I eat really healthy usually... I had chocolate tonight because I was 440 calories over and ran. Slight treat :) But then I always feel guilty after eating, like even though I was under my limit I totally ruined my day of dieting by eating chocolate.

darling do not feel guilty. tomorrow is a new day. besides i'm sure you've been working hard. treat yourself.
    and as for the sugar i really don't care too much about that as long as it's coming from something healthy.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You're running and eating at a deficit. Although it's not healthy, I've eaten a lot of junk o bad days and avoided weight gain by cutting calories the next few days - ideally you want to get nutrient dense foods at a deficit.

The biggest concern with a lot of white sugar is that it's hard to stop at one bite, the sugar spikes keep you hungry and you do lose out on the healthier foods that would have taken the place of those empty calories. I've also noticed drops in my lifts the day after eating a lot of sugary junk food.

I do get a ton of sugar but it's mostly through fruit and usually balanced with a protein source.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i probably eat waaayyy too much sugar (even though a lot is from fruit) and i'm still losing. I've never tried cutting it out to see if it speeds things up, but I'd rather enjoy what I'm eating and take it slow than torture myself with foods i hate.
  • yoshigreen94
    Options
    Thanks guys, I feel wayyy better. I'm just going to stock up on fruit and such.