Metamucil

Options
does drinking metamucil make you gain weight or lose weight ? and is it good for you ?
:)

Replies

• Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    It has about 80 calories per serving, and it makes me bloat.
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Metamucil = psyllium husks + flavoring.

Excess Psyllium husks MAY cause bloating. It is a fiber supplement, nothing more.

Buy whole psyllium husks if you're not getting at least 25g a fiber a day. Your goal should be 25-35g of fiber a day as a woman. Too much fiber MAY decrease nutrient absorption so don't go overboard.

It MAY help with weight loss as its a bulking agent...it expands in your stomach creating the sensation of fullness.
  • amandaanderson2786
    amandaanderson2786 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i take it but not for weight loss i take it for constipation and its only 20 calories.:smile:
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    Options
    It's ideal to get your fiber from fruits and vegetables though.
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    Options
    Whole psyllium husks = 1tbsp = 15cals
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Never. Again. with. Metamucil. I was worried I wasn't getting enough fiber so I had some (according to instructions) for the past two days. It's been a constant pain in the lower gut. I've guzzled water, taken olive oil straight, drank hot drinks, and moved around to get things going in the GI. Ugh. Really bummed - tomorrow is my weight loss support group weigh in - it would have been a loss on the scale if I wasn't so bound up.
  • moonflower0906
    Options
    Actuallyyyyy...I used to eat 28grams of fiber a day and I lost a lb a month doing that. Fiber helps flush everything out of your diet!

I stopped taking Metamucil because it thickens too quickly. I didn't know it was about 70 calories but now I take Benefiber. According to this thing, its about 8 calories and it doesn't thicken!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    my mom used to make me drink that. i think it's horrible. for me, there are much tastier ways to get fiber.