Shakes and Smoothies!

Options
awyler
awyler Posts: 78
I just got a new blender and I'm DYINGGGGG to use it! Please post all your favorite smoothie and protein shake recipes! Thanks so much! :o)

Replies

• kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I'm exhausted and can't think too coherently right now, but my favorite smoothie is banana peanut butter.

Take about .5 c yogurt (I use Light & Fit Vanilla), .5 c skim milk, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1 frozen banana, and I like to add .5 to 1 tablespoon honey for sweetness. It's kind of high in calories, usually around 300, but when I make it, it is the only thing I eat for breakfast and it keeps me full until lunch 5 hours later.

Once you get comfortable making smoothies from recipes, just start playing around! You'll get to be able to guesstimate the ratio of liquid/yogurt/ice/fruit you like and make some good smoothies. I've created a stockpile of frozen fruits in my freezer (things that are softer than I like to eat but still good, freeze them on a flat plate and then transfer to a ziplock baggie when solid). Yogurts can be fun to play with too, especially if you like different flavors. It's an easy way to add the flavor of something that you may not have frozen. A lot of people also like using juice in place of milk on occasion.

Have fun experimenting!
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    I like to use frozen fruit in mine. I start with 1/2 cup or so of water or juice (water to save calories) then I add a scoop of vanilla protein powder & then enough frozen fruit to make it nice and thick. I like to use frozen fruit because it saves me from having to use ice which tends to water them down.

Have fun, I love smoothies, especially this time of year.
  • Kristin79
    Options
    I like to keep it pretty simple and keep it as vegetarian as i can so i do frozen fruit (berries, and tropical) a little orange juice and a little chocolate soy milk...its so yum!!
  • skdk833
    skdk833 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I flash freeze strawberries and ripe bananas (seperately) and store in the freezer. For the strawberries, clean, dry, and hull the center. Place top down on a metal sheet, freeze, and place in storage bags. For bananas, wait til ripe, take off peel, cut in half, freeze single layer in a storage bag.

For the smoothie:

In the blender add 4-8 strawberries, depening on the size, and use the ice chip feature. Use a spatula and move it down to the bottom. Add one single serve container of yogurt of your choice. I love the vanilla low fat blended. Mix together. Cut up 2-3 halfs of banana. Add to blender with 1/4 cup skim or 1% milk. Blend (I use my Frappe setting). If it is extremely thick, add another 1/4 cup milk until you get hte consistancy you desire.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i have a love/hate relationship with smoothies, i love them, but i cant help but think how much fuller i would be if i just ate the fruit whole.
    but anyway, making smoothies is very easy, no recipe needed, but here are some hints and tips:

1.dont use:brocolli,grapes,cherries,oranges (orange juice is fine)
    2.bananas are really a must for texture, they keep it from seperating, and if you freese the bananas first they an icecream like texture.
    3.dont freeze bananas whole or with the skin on
    4.if adding vegtables blend them FIRST, DO NOT just add some spinach or carrot at the end, its gross
    5. berries are a great sweetener
    6.yogurt works in place of or addition to bananas, adding protein and calcium
    7.you can put carton eggwhites straight in, no additional flavor but added protien! (and the only good use for pasturized eggwhites in my opinion)
    8.use frozen fruit,it's very convenient and cuts out the ice, which keeps it from being watered down
    9,let the fruit and what ever liquid your useing get to know each other, it will help the flavors bolend and let the friut melt a little so it doesnt reck your blender
    10.go slowly, or you'll get air pockets
  • awyler
    awyler Posts: 78
    Options
    Thanks, these all sound delicious!
  • tiffanymeganb
    Options
    I like my smoothies plain and simple, although I don't do meaursements, sorry!
    In the end I have wat I would guess is 300ml maybe 500ml or smoothie? :S
    I add skimmed milk, ice, frozen banana and a little spoon of hot chocolate powder [low fat kind] for a treat. I add all different fruits at times :PHave fun with your new found best friend! :P

1686584.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    freezing bananas with the skin on...is amazing. i don't know why the person above wrote that.

freeze it with the skin on once they have browned too much. when you want to use them, run it under hot water for a few seconds and the skin falls right off! then just break into pieces over your bldender.....so simple and no need to wrap them for the freezer.
  • cleaneater80
    cleaneater80 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Every morning I make what is known as a Green Monster. Not only do I get a serving of fruit to start the day but also my veges too.

Green Monster
    1 cup milk (some times i use chocolate)
    1 handfull of spinach
    1 frozen banana
    1/4 cup oatmeal
    ice

Blend together till smooth

You will never know that there is spinach in there besides that it is a lovely green color. The banana is strong enough to carry the smoothie. I also will add chocolat protein powder or chia seeds for a extra boost or switch the banana up with frozen cherries or strawberries.
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    bump
  • labelleariane
    labelleariane Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    .5 cup of choco milk
    handful of strawberries
    1/2 banana
    + ice
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    Every morning I make what is known as a Green Monster. Not only do I get a serving of fruit to start the day but also my veges too.

Green Monster
    1 cup milk (some times i use chocolate)
    1 handfull of spinach
    1 frozen banana
    1/4 cup oatmeal
    ice

Blend together till smooth

You will never know that there is spinach in there besides that it is a lovely green color. The banana is strong enough to carry the smoothie. I also will add chocolat protein powder or chia seeds for a extra boost or switch the banana up with frozen cherries or strawberries.
    This may be a silly question, but dry oatmeal or cooked...?
  • cleaneater80
    cleaneater80 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I put in dry oatmeal, it thickens up the smoothie nicely. For a extral thick smoothie I add xantham gum (i get it from the health food store). it's a thickener
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Vanilla yogurt, blueberries or strawberries, banana, pineapple or orange juice. Add ice if your machine can handle it. Maybe a touch of honey if you use plain yogurt. Enjoy!
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Here is my recipe for smoothies: MAKES 2 SERVINGS
    CALS CARBS FAT PROTEIN SUGAR SODIUM

Big Valley - Mixed Berries * Canada* Costco, 0.5 cup frozen 40 10 0 1 6 0
    Biggest Loser - Protein Powder Vanilla Bean, 1 scoop 50 9 1 6 2 0
    Danone Silhouette 0+ - Vanilla Yogurt, 100 g 35 6 0 3 3 50
    Generic - Banana (Med 4-5inch), 1 whole 90 27 0 1 14 1
    Sealtest - 1% Milk, 0.5 cup 55 6 1 0 0 3
    Add Ingredient
    Total: 270 58 2 11 25 54
    Per Serving: 135 29 1 6 13 27
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    i have a love/hate relationship with smoothies, i love them, but i cant help but think how much fuller i would be if i just ate the fruit whole.
    but anyway, making smoothies is very easy, no recipe needed, but here are some hints and tips:

1.dont use:brocolli,grapes,cherries,oranges (orange juice is fine)
    2.bananas are really a must for texture, they keep it from seperating, and if you freese the bananas first they an icecream like texture.
    3.dont freeze bananas whole or with the skin on
    4.if adding vegtables blend them FIRST, DO NOT just add some spinach or carrot at the end, its gross
    5. berries are a great sweetener
    6.yogurt works in place of or addition to bananas, adding protein and calcium
    7.you can put carton eggwhites straight in, no additional flavor but added protien! (and the only good use for pasturized eggwhites in my opinion)
    8.use frozen fruit,it's very convenient and cuts out the ice, which keeps it from being watered down
    9,let the fruit and what ever liquid your useing get to know each other, it will help the flavors bolend and let the friut melt a little so it doesnt reck your blender
    10.go slowly, or you'll get air pockets

This is the best guide to not screwing up smoothies ever. Thanks for posting!!