TDEE and trac\ing exercise

Options
So I am using the TDEE method for my calories. I love that the app. lets me trac\ the exercise...but when I do it wants me to eat more. I \now that I am not supposed to but I don't want MFP to thin\ I am undereating either. ANy suggestions? Does anyone have a basic app to trac\ exercise they would recommend? Than\s in advance for your help and your patience with my lac\ of wor\ing \!!!

Replies

• dgoradia
    dgoradia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    MFP is not a person, it doesn't think anything. I get that it's confusing, MFP used your height, weight, age and activity level to factor a calorie intake level that would put you at a deficit. Consuming estimated calories burned while exercising is just a way MFP helps you make sure eating enough. At least that's how I think it's programmed.

Too many people eat too little in hopes of losing weight faster but doesn't always work out that way and end up sacrificing lean body mass in favor of fat stores.

Personally I never track exercise using MFP, instead I use Fitocracy. They have a smartphone app too. I find it simpler and motivating with the game-like experience.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    you ARE supposed to eat back your exercise calories as a deficit is already built in. Some people only eat back some as they feel that MFP over estimates the number of calories burned
  • decreasing_me
    Options
    I have already put in working out 3-5 days a week (as opposed to sedentary) which puts my calories higher each day. I understood that BC of that I would NOT eat back exercise calories. So...verify anyone??
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I'm confused. Ublike most calculators, MFPasks you to set your activity level,WITHOUT e ercise which is why you then add it in. There isn't a settingnthatbsays 'working out 3 times a week'. What do you mean.
  • proudmommy1003
    proudmommy1003 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method too and I don't log exercise or calories burnt. I just log the name of the workout and enter 1 cal burnt.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Sorry, just read OP again. I presume you didnt use MFP to calculate your calorie burn but used another calculator. If so, do as above, track it and then change calorie burn for the exercise to 1
  • decreasing_me
    Options
    I use the TDEE method too and I don't log exercise or calories burnt. I just log the name of the workout and enter 1 cal burnt.

THAN\ YOU. That is a great idea! That way I don't have to mess with learning another app!! I appreciate your help ;) Laura
  • decreasing_me
    Options
    MFP is not a person, it doesn't think anything. I get that it's confusing, MFP used your height, weight, age and activity level to factor a calorie intake level that would put you at a deficit. Consuming estimated calories burned while exercising is just a way MFP helps you make sure eating enough. At least that's how I think it's programmed.

Too many people eat too little in hopes of losing weight faster but doesn't always work out that way and end up sacrificing lean body mass in favor of fat stores.

Personally I never track exercise using MFP, instead I use Fitocracy. They have a smartphone app too. I find it simpler and motivating with the game-like experience.

But YOU ALL are MFP! I have heard many times on here that our biggest problem is not eating enough...I didn't want YOU ALL to thin\ that about me ;) But than\s for your response. It IS confusing for people li\e me that haven't been trying to be healthy always. I am so than\ful for people that will ta\e a moment out to help others ;)
  • decreasing_me
    Options
    Sorry, just read OP again. I presume you didnt use MFP to calculate your calorie burn but used another calculator. If so, do as above, track it and then change calorie burn for the exercise to 1

Than\ you. :flowerforyou:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise (and calorie burn) just because I'm curious. But I know my daily TDEE calorie goal, pre-plan my days within it, and ignore the extra exercise calories MFP adds to my goal.

I don't care if anyone thinks I am undereating :)
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options

THAN\ YOU. That is a great idea! That way I don't have to mess with learning another app!! I appreciate your help ;) Laura

I do this as well. And if you're really big on jotting down how much you burned you can enter it under exercise notes. :)
  • sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I do TDEE-20% too and have been logging all my exercise as 1 cal since Christmas and am very happy with it. I wasn't worried so much about what MFP/people thought as that I didn't like that my macros got changed with I logged the exercise. Best of luck OP!
  • decreasing_me
    Options
    if you're really big on jotting down how much you burned you can enter it under exercise notes. :)

BRILLIANT!!
  • decreasing_me
    Options
    I do TDEE-20% too and have been logging all my exercise as 1 cal since Christmas and am very happy with it. I wasn't worried so much about what MFP/people thought as that I didn't like that my macros got changed with I logged the exercise. Best of luck OP!

THAN\ You for the luc\ ;) I have been trying to recover since I did the HCG diet...and I feel stuc\...but I \now from reading stories on here that "slow and steady wins the race" and "if what I am doing is not ma\ing a change that I do something different". I only started exercising last wee\. And I \now this: I will NEVER give up. Because I AM WORTH IT ;)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Ublike most calculators, MFPasks you to set your activity level,WITHOUT e ercise which is why you then add it in. There isn't a settingnthatbsays 'working out 3 times a week'. What do you mean.

This had messed me up. I had been using "moderate" thinking exercise was factored in :noway:

I didn't realize my error until I got a FitBit. Anyway, now I use the correct multiplier of "lightly active". I was doing a lot of OVER eating. LOL!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    you ARE supposed to eat back your exercise calories as a deficit is already built in. Some people only eat back some as they feel that MFP over estimates the number of calories burned

She's using the TDEE method, not the NEAT method.

OP, I don't even bother logging anymore...I have a routine, I do my routine, and that's that. I don't even bother looking at my calorie burn anymore...In doing the TDEE method for sometime, I've found my sweet spot and it's just not even necessary to track my calories. I just do my thing. I've done this while losing and maintaining and now trying to drop down to 15% BF.

If you really want to log it just use the comments/notes. Also, I do use a running app/trainer that stores all of my running/walking data if I really want to see it. I log all my lifting with pen and paper because my routine is far too complicated to log here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

This had messed me up. I had been using "moderate" thinking exercise was factored in :noway:

I didn't realize my error until I got a FitBit. Anyway, now I use the correct multiplier of "lightly active". I was doing a lot of OVER eating. LOL!

She's using the TDEE method, not the NEAT (MFP) method. Two completely different methods...one includes exercise (TDEE) the other does not (NEAT). Many of us use the TDEE method and customize our calorie goals that we've calculated elsewhere...we just use MFP to actually count them, not for setting our calorie goals.