Is late night workout as effective as a morning one?

Options
PippiNe
PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
I don't always get time during the day to do my workout. About half the time it gets done after I get all the kids to bed (after 10 pm). If all I do is shower and go to sleep after my workout, Is my workout being as effective as if I had done it at 10:00 in the morning?

Replies

• kfitz85
    kfitz85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The time of the day isn't really relevant. Your workouts will be most effective if you do them on an empty stomach. The longer you've gone without eating, the more effective your workout will be. For most people, the longest they fast is while they're sleeping, so their morning workout is most effective.

If you have children, alternating your fasting patterns probably wouldn't work since you would eat with them.

I don't eat between 11pm and 4pm. At 3pm, I workout, go home and eat until I'm stuffed. My work is more effective because I fasted for 16 hours, then worked out on that empty stomach.

So short answer: No, but just work out a little harder to make up for it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I don't always get time during the day to do my workout. About half the time it gets done after I get all the kids to bed (after 10 pm). If all I do is shower and go to sleep after my workout, Is my workout being as effective as if I had done it at 10:00 in the morning?
    What matters most is to fit your workouts in whenever is best for your consistency. A workout performed at 10:00 pm is more effective than a missed 10:00 am workout. Whether a workout is more effective at a certain time of day is irrelevant if you can't manage to do it at that certain time of the day.
  • Deathangl13
    Deathangl13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Your workouts will be most effective if you do them on an empty stomach. The longer you've gone without eating, the more effective your workout will be. For most people, the longest they fast is while they're sleeping, so their morning workout is most effective.

This has been debunked over and over again.
  • nickip91
    nickip91 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it depends on you. For me, if I go running first thing in the morning I'm so hungry and feel like I have nothing to burn. I can't work out as hard because it makes me feel sick and faint. I tend to go between 4pm - 7pm as I find this is when I can have my most effective workout for me. If I can't do then, I go later as I have the energy to go from the food I've eaten that day.

I don't mean to offend, but I disagree with the answer above in regards to fasting. Your body needs food - especially if you're going to be doing exercise so I wouldn't recommend doing a workout after not eating for such a vast period of time.

Just do what feel right for you and go when you can fit it in your schedule x.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I have found that the late night workout is FAR more effective than the no-workout-because-I-didn't-have-time-until-it-was-too-late plan.

Calories in vs. calories out is the main thing. Maybe not the only thing, but it really is the main thing. The most effective workout is the one you will DO. And I will not DO a 6am workout, lol. I am a night owl. I just have to go with it.
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    Morning workouts are better for me PURELY because I end up craving fruits and veggies if I get a good burn in the AM. If I don't, I crave crappy foods. I'm sure there is some scientific reason for it, but I don't care, I just like that I want the healthy stuff and it becomes easy to resist junk.

But not everyone is like me. I do not believe that the time of day impacts the effectiveness of the workout except minimally. At the very least it will be beneficial regardless of time of day.
  • Deathangl13
    Deathangl13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    About half the time it gets done after I get all the kids to bed (after 10 pm). If all I do is shower and go to sleep after my workout, Is my workout being as effective as if I had done it at 10:00 in the morning?

Sure. Time does not exist in the real world. It's a man-made concept that is of no significance to the biological process.
  • MizPassion
    MizPassion Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I do late workouts at times. I find it better than doing nothing. I have researched this topic before and it seems that there's no concrete evidence showing mornings are more effective than nights. Some people do feel too stimulated to fall asleep after late workouts. This isn't the case for everyone. You could give it a try and see how it goes :)
  • brazilnut05
    brazilnut05 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, yes. The only difference is that you might find it a little more dificult to fall asleep at night. But, working out is better than not working out. :)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the most effective workout is the one you'll be able to stick to. If you're a night owl (like me), it really doesn't matter if there is a minor difference between times. If I tried to do workouts in the early morning, there's no way I could stick with it long term. Any insignificant benefit I might receive is far outweighed by the fact that I will actually do evening workouts, and will do them full out. Do what works for you.
  • danglewtf
    danglewtf Posts: 29
    Options
    The main thing I find with exercising late at night is that I'm already completely knackered by the end of the day, and I feel I don't put as much effort in as I would in the morning. Granted, as many have pointed out, ANY workout is better than no workout!
  • schmanarchy
    Options
    The longer you've gone without eating, the more effective your workout will be.

This is not only wrong (as another poster already mentioned) but it is completely in the opposite direction. It seems like a good intuition, but the most recent real research on this topic has shown that actually eating a light snack just BEFORE you work out will help you burn more calories in the long run. It not only provides you with the energy to perform, it will tell your body that you aren't starving so it's okay to burn calories.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    The longer you've gone without eating, the more effective your workout will be.

This is not only wrong (as another poster already mentioned) but it is completely in the opposite direction. It seems like a good intuition, but the most recent real research on this topic has shown that actually eating a light snack just BEFORE you work out will help you burn more calories in the long run. It not only provides you with the energy to perform, it will tell your body that you aren't starving so it's okay to burn calories.

I've found I can eventually get a good workout on in a fed state, but I'm more sluggish getting warmed up.

I think if you choose random subjects, you might find fed workouts to be the same or superior, but if you took a bunch of people like me, you would find that fasted workouts are superior. They also keep me busy until I break my fast. Which means less chance of eating too early, which means higher chance I will stick to my planned diet because I won't spend that many waking hours tempted to eat. Perception wise, I am happier doing fasted workouts and more motivated. Also, no issues planning my pre workout meal so I'm not throwing up in my mouth.

However, that said, the best program is the one you stick to.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Here's a great article by Lyle McDonald which helps put it in perspective:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fundamental-principles-versus-minor-details.html

Basically, too many people worry about minor details without having the fundamentals in place. It's like trying to put the finishing touches on a house when the walls haven't even been built yet. The "fundamentals", in this particular case, are consistent proper workouts. Any slight edge in effectiveness due to workout timing may matter to an elite athlete, but it's not going to make any difference for the average beginner/intermediate trainee. As Lyle says in the article, "Just Do Something".
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Here's a great article by Lyle McDonald which helps put it in perspective:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fundamental-principles-versus-minor-details.html

Basically, too many people worry about minor details without having the fundamentals in place. It's like trying to put the finishing touches on a house when the walls haven't even been built yet. The "fundamentals", in this particular case, are consistent proper workouts. Any slight edge in effectiveness due to workout timing may matter to an elite athlete, but it's not going to make any difference for the average beginner/intermediate trainee. As Lyle says in the article, "Just Do Something".

Awesome post, thanks!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, late night is just as efffective as morning. Personally, I cannot get up early to workout. I've tried, it just doesn't work. So I workout in the afternoon or evening and I have no problems at all with it. The most effective time to workout is the one you'll stick to.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Personally i do a slightly better job on mornings which i do Saturday and Sundays and on public holidays or when i'm on leave from work. Probably becuase i've had a good sleep and a feed, but it's not that far off in the evenings which is my Monday to Friday workout regime depending on how tired i am after work it's a bit harder to maintain a steady flow. as for best on an empty stomach thats bull crap and dangerous. you need fuel to give you the energy to workout harder.

You might lose more weight that way but it will be mostly muscle

Saying that when i was doing martial arts 7x2hr classes a week in my late teens to mid 20's i never ate til i finished but that was primarily cause i felt bloated if i ate and then did high intensity karate for 2hrs. Now i need something or my stomach aches and i feel sluggish doesn't have to be a meal, just a snack
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    don't over think it, workout whenever you can, it's all beneficial
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Also, I find that I'm more likely to put my all into it and go that extra mile or lift that extra set when I'm overly tired. I call this state Super Tired. I'm already tired, that extra set isn't going to make me any more so. When I'm half asleep and bleary eyed, I want nothing to do with exercise or putting in extra effort. I just want to pull the covers over my head.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The time of the day isn't really relevant. Your workouts will be most effective if you do them on an empty stomach. The longer you've gone without eating, the more effective your workout will be. For most people, the longest they fast is while they're sleeping, so their morning workout is most effective.

If you have children, alternating your fasting patterns probably wouldn't work since you would eat with them.

I don't eat between 11pm and 4pm. At 3pm, I workout, go home and eat until I'm stuffed. My work is more effective because I fasted for 16 hours, then worked out on that empty stomach.

So short answer: No, but just work out a little harder to make up for it.
    What?