Calorie intake/outhoing please so confused

Options
So i was set at 1200 by MFP, this was not working for me i was so hungry all the time so i checked out my bmr which is 1795 and thought id up my intake to 1650 (odd number but still bmr seemed bit scary to me) anyhow i havent lost not 1lb in actual fact i have probably gained, im yo-yoing around 3lbs give or take of my weight at start. Anyhow i have just been reading that i need to burn more cals out than i take in... Is this correct or not? I mean that seems almost impossible to me has i am so unfit (although have moved along a bit just lateley) been trying to exercise ect...

My stats are:

Female, 5ft1, 220lbs and i dont do a lot throughout the day other than clean house, daily chores look after my son ect
I will exercise more if need be.
Hope this makes sense, so if anyone can explain to me what i need to do here i would be very greatful!

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Take in less than you burn and you will lose weight.

Log everything, make sure you weigh your food, if you guess the food weights, you could be hundreds of calories out, that will scupper your weightloss attempts.

Do your exercise, stick to your calorie intake. If you get hungry, eat lots of protein (unless you have kidney problems).

Weight and measure yourself once per week.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you're out hoing ?

crosspost in weightloss section
  • onesmallcupcake
    Options
    Hi Maggie. 1200 is very standard for a female wanting to lose weight. Yep, you will feel very hungry!! Aim to split your day into three main meals of about 300 calories each and then 2 snacks of no more than 150 calories each. The reality is that most of us eat much more than we need. Generally speaking, if you burn more 3500 calories more than you consume you will lose 1 pound. So if you can stick to 1200 calories (and I mean really stick to it ....weighing and measuring everything that goes into your mouth) you will lose weight. If you can do some exercise as well, even if it is only walking, you will speed up your weight loss.

I know it seems hard and feeling hungry is not a nice feeling, but if you can stick with it you will see the results. I hope this helps somehow. :)
  • gmove
    gmove Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    "feeling hungry is not a nice feeling"? please, please, please, tell me this was sarcasm!

instead try MOVING and eating GOOD FOOD :D

"I will exercise more if need be." not the attitude to have. while it's great that you're not a couch potato (chores and taking care of your son), it really isn't exercise, it's simply your normal day. make time for exerise. you'll know what you can handle and don't listen to the voice that says 'oh that's enough.' is it really? or are you giving up because you're afraid of the little bit of temporyary pain?
    good luck! :D
    Hi Maggie. 1200 is very standard for a female wanting to lose weight. Yep, you will feel very hungry!! Aim to split your day into three main meals of about 300 calories each and then 2 snacks of no more than 150 calories each. The reality is that most of us eat much more than we need. Generally speaking, if you burn more 3500 calories more than you consume you will lose 1 pound. So if you can stick to 1200 calories (and I mean really stick to it ....weighing and measuring everything that goes into your mouth) you will lose weight. If you can do some exercise as well, even if it is only walking, you will speed up your weight loss.

I know it seems hard and feeling hungry is not a nice feeling, but if you can stick with it you will see the results. I hope this helps somehow. :)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why MFP has set you so low, given your starting weight, unless you've said you want to lose 2lb per week. Try resetting to 1lb a week and see if that gives you a fwe more calories to play with.

While you shouldn't have to give everything up, make sure you log everything and reduce your portion size of things like potatoes and pasta while upping the leafy green veg - that will fill you up for longer. Wieghing is very important - its easy to over-estimate how much pasta is a 75g portion (it looks so tiny you can't believe its really 75g!!) Also try to choose "good value" calories (by which I mean things like 25g mixed nuts instead of 3-4 biscuits - calories might be the same but pick the ones which are better for you).

Because MFP sets a deficit from the start, the more exercise you do the more calories you will be able to eat. So an hour of zumba (for example) gives you approx 600 calories to use on food.

If you log everything and keep to your calorie goals (eating back exercise calories) you will lose weight.:happy:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring everything? This is especially important for fats, meats, cheese, pasta etc. -- if you are a little off on broccoli it won't be a big deal, but if you are a little off on cheese it adds up really fast!
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi there

there is a lot of information on here about both eating to MFP's formula and TDEE -x%

With the MFP scheme, you enter your statistics plus the amount of weight you want to lose per week and MFP gives you a calorie budget which includes the deficit. You can then also do exercise over and above what you have set on MFP. For example MFP might reckon you need 2000 cals a day to maintain your weight. You want to lose 1lb a week. MFP will give you a calorie budget of 1500. You go to the gym and work off 250 by fast walking on the treadmill for 30 mins. You enter that exercise in MFP and those 250 cals appear in your allowance. This works very well for a lot of people.

The other school of thought is that you calculate how much energy that you use each day and cut that by 10-30%. Here is a website with such a calculator: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    At 220lb, you are quite overweight (I hope you don't mind me saying that but actually initially the more you have to lose the easier it is to start with). Anyway this means that you can take off the full 30%. Once you get nearer your goals you will need to cut that down a bit, meaning your weight loss will be slower.

You should choose one of these methods and stick to it if it works for you.

If your BMR is around 1795, you should really eat above that but below the full amount of energy you use in one day. BMR is what you would burn while lying in a coma. Being up and about means you will burn more than that. There is evidence that eating below BMR for a long period will stress your body and cause weight loss to slow down. Keep your body happy by feeding it good food and enjoy exercising it as much as you can.
  • ezziepug
    ezziepug Posts: 57
    Options
    I know it seems hard and feeling hungry is not a nice feeling, but if you can stick with it you will see the results.

I have to politely disagree with trying to get used to being hungry. One of the quickest ways to fail at weight loss is to go hungry. For those people who make that the basis of their lifestyle change, there are many more who understand how important it is to NOT go hungry if they are to succeed.

As others have suggested, try measuring your food to the gram for a few weeks to see what 1,650 calories really looks like. If you start to lose weight again, then you know you have to be more precise about what you're eating (I myself am a generalist, and need to take my own advice).

A lot of exercise doesn't burn as much as we'd like unless we put in some serious effort on high burning exercises. I would learn to enjoy exercise for its own sake, for energy and stress release. Along the way, it will help your weight efforts for certain, but learning to like it and make it a regular activity is the first step. Also, strength training is super important, and is easy to start doing at home with free weights or DVDs.

Good luck, you're on your way! It's normal to have lulls and periods of frustration. Often minor changes can have big results, and can lead to bigger changes and challenges.
  • Maggie1moo
    Maggie1moo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying all. Most of you have gave good advice.. :)