Frustrated...!!!

Options
Hi all,
I'm a regular in the exercise department, I am that stage where I'm fighting the urge not to have rest days but know that I need them.
My issue today is, I cycled 26 miles yesterday and walked a further 6 miles, all part of my commute which is how I'm increasing my training, in total I burnt well over 2k calories (I wear a Garmin HRM).
I gained 100 grams. Which I know isnt much but for goodness sake, surely it should be the other way around?!
I am being careful with pennies and also I disaprove of too many energy drink due to high sugar content, but also aware that Protein intake has to increase.
Am I being naive in thinking that if I burn 2k cals, surely I should be able to pretty much eat what I want - by that I don't mean Pizza/Burgers/Sugary foods.
My aim is to lose weight so that I can run/race at race weight so I need to be 67kgs and I'm at a stubborn 73.9kgs. I've lost 6 kg's since November by increasing exercise and being more cautious re food. Although wine stays on the list.

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Did you eat back those 2k calories back? because it is possible your HRM is overestimating calories burned.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hi - no I didnt, I did eat more than I usually do but MFP said I'd eaten 2,084 cals when I could have eaten 3,370 (inc the 2,170 cals I burnt), the profile MFP has given me suggests I eat 1,220, which I can do but not when I'm burning that amount of calories...
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    What I have learned is that weight loss is not instantaneous. Look at what happens over a month and you will see the results. Be consistent in your logging and don't starve yourself especially on days where you exercise a lot. Probably next week you will see the results of what you did. Weight also seems to come off in chunks rather than linearly, nothing for 9 days then the next day I can have dropped 2lb.
  • IronPhyllida
    Options
    Yes that is very true, thanks Sarah.
    Also from a female perspective, the time of the month affects things but I was just astonished that there was not only no change, but an increase...
    BTW I've been logging weight/fat/water percentages for about 6 years now, just havent been hugely consistent with food logging etc, specially with home made food...
    Will report back :smile:
  • chelseasue10
    chelseasue10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always find my weight increases for a couple of days after a heavy workout, a long cycle or a two hour run. I believe this is due to the muscles holding the water and it always decreases again after this time. The best thing to do is weigh yourself a few days after such a hard workout to get a true indication of your weight. If you look it up you will find most peoples weight increases after a heavy workout due to the water, hope this helps.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you are working out that hard it is more than likely water retention....
  • IronPhyllida
    Options
    Oh I see... I've read that sometimes people have a day of taking more salt, bit weary of this but have you guys done this and how would you go about it as i'm sure you dont have teaspoons of salt...
  • IronPhyllida
    Options
    Not even going to say what my weight was today, let's just say I'M NOT HAPPY... And I cycled again so I've burnt 1k cals already...
  • chantey16
    chantey16 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    if you're actually burning that many calories through cycling you should be eating WAY more than 2000 calories. probably more like the 3000 mfp suggests. you will put yourself in starvation mode doing that (i learnt the hard way) lol.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Odds are it is water retention, particularly if you have recently stepped up your exercise regimen. If you have any soreness after your cycling, that's a good indicator that you are generating micro-tears in your muscles (as part of the normal process of muscle building). Your body will cause inflamation and water retention at the site of the tears, resulting in a net increase in weight (but not fat) for two to three weeks. A lot of people get discouraged when this happens and give up before their body can adjust to the new exercise. Once it does, however, the weight will start to come off again. Give it a month before you decide that things aren't working. And you should definitely try to eat back you calories, particularly with burns that high.
  • IronPhyllida
    Options
    if you're actually burning that many calories through cycling you should be eating WAY more than 2000 calories. probably more like the 3000 mfp suggests. you will put yourself in starvation mode doing that (i learnt the hard way) lol.

But if I'm in starvation mode, wouldn't I be feeling weak whilst training?!
  • IronPhyllida
    Options
    Odds are it is water retention, particularly if you have recently stepped up your exercise regimen. If you have any soreness after your cycling, that's a good indicator that you are generating micro-tears in your muscles (as part of the normal process of muscle building). Your body will cause inflamation and water retention at the site of the tears, resulting in a net increase in weight (but not fat) for two to three weeks. A lot of people get discouraged when this happens and give up before their body can adjust to the new exercise. Once it does, however, the weight will start to come off again. Give it a month before you decide that things aren't working. And you should definitely try to eat back you calories, particularly with burns that high.

OK that does make sense, I notice that my ankles are slightly swolen so I do feel that I'm retaining water. I'll try to up my water intake and see if that will flush things through. So to speak.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this

why on earth would you weigh yourself the day after that much exercise!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

But if I'm in starvation mode, wouldn't I be feeling weak whilst training?!

your training may not suffer straight away but if you keep up such an aggressive deficit it probably will eventually.
  • runninggirl1981
    Options
    I do a lot of cycling and running, I'm a semipro athlete.

2k seems a hell of a lot of calories for 26m bike and 6m walk. Garmin HRMs are notorious overestimators. My figures come out at more like 950 calories for 26m bike and 6m run. I'm 5'5 and 61kg
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I did a huge cycle on Saturday and my legs were still pumped yesterday to the degree that my trousers were noticeably tighter, that's not muscle and it's not fat - just the muscles recovering from being stressed.

Unfortunately the only way to accurately see your progress is to track everything you eat and your exercise over an extended period of time. My numbers never matched all the various calculation tools but by being consistent and making small adjustments I found the sweet spot for slow & steady weight loss and then weight maintenance.

As you are serious about your exercise you really want a small deficit over a long period otherwise your sports performance will be compromised.
  • haidos
    haidos Posts: 69
    Options
    Usually after an intense workoout my weight will remain the same or increase then after a rest day drop 2-3lb.
    Nothing to worry about just how the body works.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

2k seems a hell of a lot of calories for 26m bike and 6m walk. Garmin HRMs are notorious overestimators. My figures come out at more like 950 calories for 26m bike and 6m run. I'm 5'5 and 61kg

Agree with this comment that your burn numbers do seem too high - for comparison I typically burn 600/hour at 15mph on a hybrid bike. I'm 5'9" & 77kg.
  • IronPhyllida
    Options

this

why on earth would you weigh yourself the day after that much exercise!
    I weigh myself everyday at the same time before breakfast. I can't do it weekly etc
  • IronPhyllida
    Options

Agree with this comment that your burn numbers do seem too high - for comparison I typically burn 600/hour at 15mph on a hybrid bike. I'm 5'9" & 77kg.
    I can do that calory burn as well for an hour on the bike, but I pushed hard (had a train to catch!), the same route varies from 650cals/hour to 850cals/hour on same settings on my HRM. When I started out when I was heavier i was doing just under 1kcals/hour. I'm 5'7" & 73kg.
    Also the run would be shorter timewise than a walk for 6m, so the burn would be lower.... Just saying :tongue: