too many carbs, not enough calories.

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new to this and I'm a little confused. By the end of the day I'll have over 200 calories left, but I'll be in the negative digits for carbs, Do I go ahead and eat my remaining calories and add to my carb intake or not? Since it's hard to find 0 carb food.

Replies

• sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    There's not much you can do at the end of a day, but it's a good indicator that you may need to be eating different foods throughout the day. Maybe more vegetables and lean meats in the place of carb-heavy foods?
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    Not really that hard to find zero carb food:

Do you have any chicken, steak, tuna, pork, eggs (1 carb each), cheese, cottage cheese (3-5 carbs per serving), spinach, broccoli, lettuce, sprouts, beef/turkey jerkey, or whey protein in the house?

Low-fat cottage cheese: 1/2 cup is 90 calories made up of 4 carbs, 3 fat, and 14 protein.
  • marcylara
    marcylara Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a problem getting enough protein calories instead of carbs. I was having the same problem. I have begun to have at least 2 protein shakes per day. Sometimes 3. That seems to help even the calories out and get me a lot closer to the protein cals I want. For instance, I will make a protein shake with half cup of soy milk and unflavored whey and put it on my oatmeal instead of just milk. I have a protein shake for one of my snack meals (I eat 5 meals per day), and tend to have a protein shake after my workout if I am still lagging behind on the numbers.

I found 2 protein powders that have been really helping: Nitro Core 24- it is a little higher in calories, but since I use it for a meal, it doesn't bother me too much anymore. It has 24 grams of protein per serving. The second is ADS Lean Mass Builder. It is 125 cal per serving and 29 grams of protein. It also doesn't have a sweet aftertaste, which I hate with protein powders.

Hope this helps!

~marcy
  • Dawn_2013
    Dawn_2013 Posts: 170
    Options
    I had to reframe the way I eat. Carbs are often easy foods and readily available anywhere...it is easy to overload. To get protein or fresh veggies takes planning, but the results are worth it! Try reading up on nutrition...it helped me a lot!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've made my food diary public. While I'm not claiming to be a role model, you're welcome to look at it. I think I'm under my carb allotment almost every day.
  • omidgett
    omidgett Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks guys! This was actually really helpful!