I'm scared...

Options
So I am 200ish pounds and I want to weigh 160 and have a medium frame size. I guess I am scared to lose weight. I want to but I'm worried about losing my breasts and having extra skin. I'm 22. My skin should still be elastic enough that if I were able to lose the weight it would retract right? I need opinions :(

Replies

• MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    hi and welcome.

change can be scary and challenging but it can also be good. I don't know what your height is but 200 lb is probably too much. Don't focus too much on the "what might go wrong" and stay focused on the good. and if you exercise properly, you will probably prevent any saggy skin issues.
  • StarlightAria
    StarlightAria Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet and 1 inch tall..way too much. I have been 150 in the past and I was loving it and comfortable with my body because I have a bigger frame. I guess I rely a lot on what people think of me. I think 160 is reasonable. I'm excited because this is really the best thing I've done about my weight. I'm just not very educated on how to judge portions or anything
  • jessicabillman77
    jessicabillman77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet and 1 inch tall..way too much. I have been 150 in the past and I was loving it and comfortable with my body because I have a bigger frame. I guess I rely a lot on what people think of me. I think 160 is reasonable. I'm excited because this is really the best thing I've done about my weight. I'm just not very educated on how to judge portions or anything

im hopeless with portion sizes too
  • teshiburu
    teshiburu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    So I am 200ish pounds and I want to weigh 160 and have a medium frame size. I guess I am scared to lose weight. I want to but I'm worried about losing my breasts and having extra skin. I'm 22. My skin should still be elastic enough that if I were able to lose the weight it would retract right? I need opinions :(

Whilst you are scared you have made the right decision and a step in the right direction here and you should be so proud of that! My advise to you would first be consult with a physician find out your ideal weight, and don't try to loose it too quickly.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I'm just not very educated on how to judge portions or anything

Definitely get a food scale. It's so easy to under estimate portion size and think you are taking in less/more calories than you are taking in. You don't need a fancy scale, just one that is accurate.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Don't worry about loose skin. You are trying to find excuses not to lose weight. Cross the "skin bridge" when you get there - not now. Focus on the losing, being healthy and feeling good. You will be so happy with yourself that the skin issue will get solved - if it happens!!!
  • StarlightAria
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words, and you are completely right. I really never thought of them as excuses, but I can see that is exactly what they were. Talk about a lightbulb moment
  • wegsta
    wegsta Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I really don't have the knowledge to advise but I would think that being the youngster that you are , you'll prob tone up pretty well.

You have passed the first hurdle by wanting to take part & do it for yourself, give yourself a big pat on the back for having the courage to do so.
    :happy:
    Whatever route you take on the exercise front-enjoy it !!!!!
    Well done you.

;-)
  • StarlightAria
    Options
    Thank you thank you! I am so happy I decided to do this!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You are young and you are not morbidly obese. If you lose the weight slowly, like a pound or less per week, you will probably never have saggy skin. If I could only give you one bit if advice it would be, make sure you set a realistic calorie goal and focus on hitting it everyday. Not under, not over. Learn about the other things like macros and incorporate that over time. Concentrate on calories to begin with. And yeah, get a food scale.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You are young and your skin should be flexible! Whilst I haven't lost a large amount of weight recently all I can say is that when I was pregnant my belly was ENORMOUS and although it didn't exactly spring back in overnight my skin seemed to cope pretty well with stretching out and then shrinking back to normal. If it hadn't I reckon I'd have a gigantic flap of skin hanging down to my knees! The human body is amazing and our skin is designed to adapt to changes to the rest of our body. Take your weight loss sensibly, do some exercise and look after your health and you will be fine.
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    Fear...my fear is that I won't be successful at losing weight without surgical intervention. Make changes now so you don't have to face knee replacement surgery, high blood pressure, diabetes, .... Weight training and strengthening is the best thing you can do to keep skin tightening as you lose. Remember to get your cardio in as well as you need that too. In the summer, I do yard work every day as my exercise. So, best wishes. MFP is a great tool and you will find many success stories here! :flowerforyou:
  • 24redwine
    24redwine Posts: 43
    Options
    At your age you should not have a problem. Sometimes initially the skin seems loose in spots, but it does adjust. Imagine the health challenges you would face if you continue to carry your current weigth or gain over the years, which is typical. You will love the new confidence you feel as your weight and fitness improve over time. It is so empowering that it affects your relationships, sexuality, confidence at work, willingness to try new things, etc. It's amazing.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Losing 40 lbs at 22 is not going to give you loose skin. As for losing breast tissue - your body doesn't eliminate fat from one area of your body. You will lose it from all over. But that shouldn't keep you from being afraid of getting into a healthy weight range for your body type and height. GO for it!! :)
  • Louisa1979
    Louisa1979 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Your skin will recover. And if you are worried about losing your shape I would really recommend getting into exercise which will enable you to stay curvy and lose weight! Whether its pilates, the gym or something else that tones your body, it will also release happy-hormones to help you feel good as you work towards your goal!
  • indyducks
    indyducks Posts: 43 Member
    Options

As others have said, invest in a food scale. The single best piece of advice that I got when I first joined a month ago, and it has been awesome. You would be amazed how easy it is to be WAY OFF when you estimate, both high and low. Sometimes, I was eating 3 portions or less than half a portion when I thought I was eating 1. I now weigh pretty much everything that goes in my mouth so I know EXACTLY the amount I am eating.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    You can't choose where the weight goes from, but it does eventually go from all over. My breasts actually haven't gone down (yet!) just lost some back fat. And side and front fat.:happy:
  • awetherell
    awetherell Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It should be okay as you're still young. It might be that you hold a lot of your weight on your chest, in which case they may get smaller, but it's better to be small everywhere than big everywhere! As everyone else has said, just focus on losing weight slowly and steadily - if it's too quick you're more likely to get saggy skin I think. Also exercise consistently throughout - as well as cardio, include toning and strength exercises. If you're particularly worried about your chest, press ups are good and you can google other exercises to work on the muscle groups surrounding that area to 'lift' your chest and keep it looking perky!

Don't be scared though, it's so worth it. You don't want to go through your twenties being overweight and unhappy. Think how amazing you could look by the time you're 23!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Just concentrate on being healthy with your diet, buy some digital scales like someone else advised, they really are a godsend. I'm sure if you exercise regularly and lose weight steadily, your body should react positively and you won't have to worry too much about excess skin, although remember that everyone is different. My hubby has never been overweight yet has stretch marks, I've carried 2 babies in my mid 30s and don't have a single one.

MFP is a great support, I'd recommend you use the forums for advice or general chit chat, its helps keep up your motivation. Good luck ;0)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm 45, started at 190 and am now at 164. No loose skin and I'm WAY older than you. Don't worry about the skin. As for portion control, weigh and measure everything. After awhile you'll be able to tell on your own what the portions are. It's all a learning process.