Grilled veggies?

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
I'm bbq'ing tonight at my brother's house and since I want to eat healthy, I need some ideas of what veggies are good to grill. I've never grilled veggies before, so any tips or ideas are welcome!

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I'm on a treadmill right now and it's much easier to ask than search around! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I love to do grilled mushrooms, squash, corn and potatoes, all of them are really good
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Asparagus, bell peppers, corn on the cob, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash.
  • maryroseclare
    Options
    Great grilling veggies - zucchini, red onion, red bell pepper, green pepper, sliced portabello mushrooms, asparagus. Toss with a little olive oil and chopped garlic first. Then grill, and sprinkle with black pepper and kosher or sea salt when finished.. You can either use a grilling basket, or skewer on wooden picks that have been soaked in water first, so the skewer doesn't burn.
  • georgette70
    Options
    Hi There, I grill veggies about 5 times a week on the barbecue, I absolutely LOVE them. I have a barbecue wok that works perfect for grilling veggies. I typically use broccoli, zuchinni, onion, mushrooms and red peppers. I toss them in a bowl with a bit of EVOO and some garlic plus and presto....yummy delicious grilled veggies.!!
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    We do this all the time. The easiest way i have found is to make a pouch out of foil. You can put any vegis you like sprinkle with a little EVOO and season to taste. They are great!
  • veracruz
    veracruz Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just had grilled veggies and brown rice for lunch! I have a large wok-like pan with small holes so you can put in any veggie and it won't fall through - but still gets the great grilled taste. I usually do mushrooms, zucchini, summer squash, red peppers, onions and sometimes I add fennel - if cooked right it carmelizes like onions and offers a lot of flavor. I pre-mix with grapeseed oil and a little kosher salt and throw into my hot pan. They're amazing!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet, because I don't have a grill right now. But I think it looks so freakin yummy, so I thought I'd share.

Ingredient List
    Makes 6 kebabs

1 head radicchio (9 oz.), quartered
    1 Japanese eggplant (5 oz.), halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch slices
    2 summer squash or zucchini (9 oz.), cut into 1-inch-thick slices
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    1/4 cup pine nuts
    1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 12 1-inch cubes.
    5 Tbs. olive oil
    6 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbs.)
    2 Tbs. chopped fresh marjoram or oregano
    1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
    Canola oil for greasing grill grate
    Directions
    1. Soak radicchio quarters in bowl of cold water 1 hour, placing plate on top to keep radicchio submerged. Drain, squeeze dry with clean towels, and cut each quarter into 3 1-inch sections, discarding stem portion.

2. Set steamer basket in large saucepan filled with 1 inch of water, and bring to a simmer. Place eggplant in basket, cover, and steam 1 minute. Add squash, cover, and cook 5 minutes more. Cool.

3. Soak raisins in small bowl of warm water 5 to 10 minutes. Drain, chop, and set aside.

4. Toast pine nuts in dry skillet 3 to 5 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Chop 3 Tbs. pine nuts, and leave 1 Tbs. whole. Combine pine nuts with chopped raisins.

5. Thread 1 radicchio section, 1 avocado cube, 1 squash slice, and 1 eggplant slice onto each skewer. Repeat threading so each skewer has 2 of each vegetable.

6. Heat oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, marjoram, and pinch of salt; cook 2 minutes, swirling skillet occasionally. Add balsamic vinegar, then remove from heat. Brush kebabs with oil mixture. Return pan to medium heat, add raisins and pine nuts, and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute. Set aside.

7. Heat grill to high. Grease grill grate with oil. Set kebabs on grill, adjusting eggplant and squash pieces so they touch grill as much as possible. Cook 2 to 4 minutes with lid open. Flip kebabs, and cook 2 to 4 minutes more, or until grill marks appear. Transfer to serving platter, and spoon raisin and pine nut mixture over kebabs.
    Nutritional Information
    Per Per kebab: Calories: 226, Protein: 3g, Total fat: 19g, Saturated fat: 2g, Carbs: 15g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 37mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 7g
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Sliced green tomatoes with Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning.
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    We do this all the time. The easiest way i have found is to make a pouch out of foil. You can put any vegis you like sprinkle with a little EVOO and season to taste. They are great!

We do that all the time you can cook any veggie in the pouch. Yum
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help!
  • Donnarama
    Options
    Tomato, Onion, Bell Peppers, Zucchini, Mushrooms, Green Beans, Asparagus, corn. Throw on a sprig of rosemary and spray with olive oil, salt and pepper..delicious! I usually marniate in olive oil, lemon, garlic and oregano first.