Fiber supplement suggestions please!

Options
TheKitsune6
TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
I need more fiber in my diet - definitely.

I've never taken a supplement before and I did use google but I'm not sure how much I can trust the promises made by sellers so I'm hoping people on here will be a bit more... honest. :)

I see that most of them to have calories in them so it needs to be low calorie (definitely) and low-carb if at all possible. Some have sugar and refined sugars make me ill so I'd like to avoid that.

Any suggestions? I eagerly await your knowledge :)

Replies

• Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Psyllium Husk - powder or capsules. Incredibly good for you - google it and read up! Just make sure you drink LOTS of water with it. :)
  • theatremack
    Options
    I like FiberChoice, you can get them sugar free and they taste good. But just adding ground flax is really good too. I put it in my yogurt or cereal in the morning, but I add it to my flour and anything I bake.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    FiberSmart was recommended to me by my Naturopathic Physician.
    It's a great fiber formula with probiotics, flax & other ingredients for a healthy gut!

http://www.renewlife.com/fibersmart.html

It's not a weight loss product......... but keeps the "plumbing" free flowing. :drinker: :bigsmile:
    Great product, really works for me! Easily available at your health food store or supermarket.
  • danogg
    danogg Posts: 8
    Options
    I use Metamucil regularly...tastes good plus you get 2 waters in at the same time.
    Also, I was reading the nutrient value on the box of Mini-wheats this morning as I ate my cereal...and was surprised to see that one serving provides 6g of fibre!!
  • Rivalee
    Rivalee Posts: 22
    Options
    Try to adjust your diet, too - I get a lot of extra fiber by having multigrain wasa crackers with hummus, orowheat double fiber bread, oatmeal, whole spelt, edamame, and other good foods. Ever since I have added these meals in, everything 'works' and I feel waaaay better. Water intake should be high, too!! Supplements are good tools, but don't let them substitute for good nutrition, because they really can't.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    When needed I incorporate a night time snack of a bowl of Bran Buds 1/3C and 1/3C of skim milk, and if I have the calories available I add blueberries. Filling tasty snack at less than 140 cals. I found that if I eat it at night it works better than if I eat it for breakfast.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I also think you should try getting it through diet. Honestly, a lot of healthy food have great amounts of fiber in them, and it may be worth it for you to try that. I may be only 24, but personally I actually really love prunes (sweet! juicy!) and they have a lot of fiber, only twenty calories for one. I also eat one apple a day, and try to choose a few high fiber veggies. From my personal experience I have learned not to trust the fiber in breads, cereals, etc (though it may be different for you), so I just count the fruits and veggies fiber to make sure I'm getting enough :)

Here is a good list of high fiber foods, just ignore the bit about it being for thyroid disease ;)
    http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/highfiber.htm
  • beccabeccac
    beccabeccac Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know my husband swears by Metamucil. He has digestive issues, and is confined to the bathroom if he forgets to take his fiber in the morning (I'm sorry - TMI). I don't know what the sugar content is, but Metamucil seems to have the most bulk - way better than Benefiber. Also instead of having a laxative quality like some people think, it actually seems to work by keeping things regular.