Insanity...Can I do it?

Options
So, like I mentioned in an earlier topic I am going to be away from a gym for 4 weeks (not by choice). A friend of mine has the insanity dvds and said I could take them with me....so I started reading the message boards and looking on youtube at what it's like. I remember the commercials with the guy yelling and super fit people doing. So I googled "can fat people do insanity' and "fat girls doing insanity" I have concluded that I can do most if it except there seems to be a lot of jumping-- I know that comes with high intensity workouts- but here is the thing I have broken my right ankle twice (in one year-8 years ago) and I have two metal plates on either side. I can't jump without it hurting really bad and sending shock like feelings into my ankle. In zumba when the jump I do high knees or jog in place (which too hurts my ankle but not as bad as jumping).

Here is my question for those who have done insanity-- do you think I can modify the jumping moves? When you did it did you have to modify the moves? Did you still see results? I weigh 278 and I'm 5'7--anyone close to those numbers who have done this program? What was your success like?

I am competing against my husband in a 60 day challenge on who can have the highest percentage of weight loss...he will be here at home for the 4 weeks using the gym, so I need something to keep me getting the burn I need to beat him and continue on this journey to the healthy me!!

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of high impact exercise that is particulalry hard on your ankles. I wouldn't risk it. Nerdfitness.com has a lot of body weight circuit exercises that can be done with no equipment and are a lot less joint intensive (but still provide an impressive burn). I'd recommend that instead.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bumping cause I want to know too! I am 257 and 5' 6" and have fibromyalgia.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    So, like I mentioned in an earlier topic I am going to be away from a gym for 4 weeks (not by choice). A friend of mine has the insanity dvds and said I could take them with me....so I started reading the message boards and looking on youtube at what it's like. I remember the commercials with the guy yelling and super fit people doing. So I googled "can fat people do insanity' and "fat girls doing insanity" I have concluded that I can do most if it except there seems to be a lot of jumping-- I know that comes with high intensity workouts- but here is the thing I have broken my right ankle twice (in one year-8 years ago) and I have two metal plates on either side. I can't jump without it hurting really bad and sending shock like feelings into my ankle. In zumba when the jump I do high knees or jog in place (which too hurts my ankle but not as bad as jumping).

Here is my question for those who have done insanity-- do you think I can modify the jumping moves? When you did it did you have to modify the moves? Did you still see results? I weigh 278 and I'm 5'7--anyone close to those numbers who have done this program? What was your success like?

I am competing against my husband in a 60 day challenge on who can have the highest percentage of weight loss...he will be here at home for the 4 weeks using the gym, so I need something to keep me getting the burn I need to beat him and continue on this journey to the healthy me!!

I'll be honest, I'm not the fittest person in the world and I'm making my way through insanity and I'm happy with the results (5 2, started at 160)... but two caveats.

Part of it is diet, so I don't know where you are going but will you have problems with the diet part of it all - did your friend give you the nutrition guide? Some people don't follow it but I've had my best results when I did.

I have carpal tunnel in my wrists and notoriously weak ankles, and I find that the pounding on my ankles and shins is the most difficult thing for me. I have modified some to be low impact (power squats to regular squats with arms for example) but so much of month one has high impact I'm worried for you without talking to your doctor.

I wonder what others thing...
  • zachherda
    zachherda Posts: 47
    Options
    I started Insanity on May 27th and it is high impact but not as bad as you may think. The most impactful workout I would say would be when you do your power jumps and those can be modified into something less hard on the joints. I know that this is possible to do with an injury because I just had ACL surgery 7 months ago and I am doing good. Just listen to your body, there are a few stretches especially that I skip and surprisingly some of the jumping jacks are hard on the lateral knee movement so I do those but not as intense. It is still a killer work out. You can do it! just be smart about it and listen to what your body is saying.

If you are interested in seeing my daily journey I have a daily blog. If you look you can see I am no where in good shape and can push thru even with a weaker leg and knee.

guidanceforgoinginsane.blogspot.com

add me as a friend and I would love to help you thru with any motivation and tips! *no I am not a beach body coach or trainer lol* just wanna help out.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Honestly I have not tried it, but a friend at work started it (I'd guess her weight at about 170 lbs) and within two weeks she had broken her foot doing the workout. After explaining the cause of her injury to her doctor, he told her that he has seen soooo many people with injuries related to doing that particular workout. She is now back at work, but her foot is still in a boot. If you already have joint, ankle, or knee issues, I'd find something else. There are lots of workouts you can do with tons of cardio that is much lower impact. Best of luck whatever you decide :o)
  • zachherda
    zachherda Posts: 47
    Options
    Honestly I have not tried it, but a friend at work started it (I'd guess her weight at about 170 lbs) and within two weeks she had broken her foot doing the workout. After explaining the cause of her injury to her doctor, he told her that he has seen soooo many people with injuries related to doing that particular workout. She is now back at work, but her foot is still in a boot. If you already have joint, ankle, or knee issues, I'd find something else. There are lots of workouts you can do with tons of cardio that is much lower impact. Best of luck whatever you decide :o)

It sounds as if your friend already had a small fracture or problem and at which point any type of physical activity would have caused that.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It sounds as if your friend already had a small fracture or problem and at which point any type of physical activity would have caused that.

I don't believe so, as we are both waitresses. If she had a foot fracture before she began the program, I would think she'd have noticed discomfort at work before beginning the program. No way to know for sure though.
  • iwilldoit100
    iwilldoit100 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I don't believe so, as we are both waitresses. If she had a foot fracture before she began the program, I would think she'd have noticed discomfort at work before beginning the program. No way to know for sure though.

Knowing about fractures in the foot area--it is possible that people have hair line fractures without even knowing it. When I broke my ankle the first time I broke the fibula and my doctor told me that some people can walk around with a fractured fibula just thinking it was a tweaked ankle because it's not a weight baring bone.

All in all thank you for the advice!
  • iwilldoit100
    iwilldoit100 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!! I think I might take them with me to try. I know what my ankle can take and not take...so I won't do any movements that I know will hurt. I have to modify in other workouts like Zumba and kickboxing. When they jump I just do fast high knees or run in place or I do squats.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    OP--As others have mentioned moderate as necessary and take breaks accordingly. It is a very demanding workout but even after a week you'll find yourself doing more and more. It really is a great workout and even the fitness models modify and take breaks. Do your best and continue to push yourself a little more each time.

One recommendation I would make if you can afford it is get a proper surface to cushion the jumping aspects of things. Most sporting goods stores sell 2' x 2' foam/rubber squares that you piece together to form a workout area. These are also good as you'll sweat a lot so spares your carpet! They're usually 3/4" - 1" thick.

There really aren't a ton really high impact jumps and frankly at that start you will likely only be able to do a couple "power jumps". On some of the others just don't jump as high. You'll still get a great workout regardless.
  • Dennysmith6
    Options
    I'm really thinking doing insanity as I'm sick of not doing anything but 2 years ago I had car accident an was in wheelchair for a year I'm not so worried about the workout on my legs but iv got bad wrist literally no strength iv had wrist fusion so can't assume press up position so is it still worth doing??

i wanna no if its possible to do workout?

What other workout can I do when it comes to press ups?

Is insanity worth doing just for cardio an weight an fat loss?