ISO: Toddler friendly activities in Chicago and Milwaukee

Options
Christie0428
Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
Hi there,

Saturday we are heading to Chicago for a week and one day in Milwaukee. We will have three days of family time (my hubby, daughter & I) and then I will be working for four days so it will be just my hubby and 20 month old daughter during the day so he will need to keep her entertained on his own.

On our list for Chicago so far is the aquarium and the science museum ( I hear the mine in the basement is cool) ...
For Mulwaukee is the zoo...

what else should be on our list "not to miss" ... also please recommend great playgrounds especially near Lombard and Milwaukee and some where between Milwaukee and the Ohare.

TIA!

PS any great restaurant recs also appreciated!

Replies

• Christie0428
    Options
    bumping incase anyone on this mornign has any suggestions :-)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Chicago also has Lincoln Park Zoo, and The Children's Museum at Navy Pier.. Lincoln Park Zoo is totally free, you just pay to park or you can take a bus there. Children's museum at Navy Pier, I'm not sure how much but I know people really like it.

The mine at Sci and Industry is pretty neat, but know that it does cost extra now... it's not included in the museum admission anymore.

Restaurant wise, there are a bunch that are my favorite in Chicago, but none are really toddler friendly unfortunately.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My in-laws live right between Milwaukee and Chicago and I have been trying to figure out what to do with the little guy (he's 2) when we head for a visit this summer. Here is a website with a list of stuff for Milwaukee that I am trying to work off of. I haven't gotten to Chicago yet.
    http://onmilwaukee.com/family/articles/100kids.html
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Navy Pier will be fun for your daughter. They have a a children's museum there (certain days are free, check the website), build a bear workshop, the big ferris wheel, boat rides, carousel. Eat at the Billy Goat or Harry Carry's for Chicago eats.

Lincoln Park Zoo is a real nice zoo to walk through and is free.

You can take a walk through (or even picnic!) in Grant Park and stop at Buckingham fountain. There are even free concerts in the park on the evening of the 12th and the 15th. Walk across the street and maybe take an architectural boat ride. I am a Chicago native and really enjoy this boat ride - your LO won't appreciate the commentary but the boat moves slow and you can point out all the cool landscape on our beautiful skyline to her.

There is a really great rib fest going on in the 6 corners neighborhood (northwest side of Chicago) beginning on Friday. Chicago kind of prides itself on its medley of street fests all summer long.

If she is into dolls, you must hit up the mag mile (Michigan Ave) and take her to the American Girl Doll store. It is really precious.

The John Hancock Observatory is less crowded and scary than the Willis (Sears) Tower - you can get away with only buying a drink (non-alcoholic - they even have smoothies and milk for kids!) and take in the beautiful view.

PLEASE eat good food while you are here, there is too much around not to! For good stuffed pizza, try Gino's East or Giordano's. Everyone and their mother will try and tell you to go to Lou Malhanti's, but I find it to be very bland and not the best representation of chicago deep dish!

For Chicago dogs, try the Vienna Cart right outside of the Field Museum (it's along the pathway to the Shedd Aquarium) or head to Portillo's for a dog and italian beef sandwich.

Lastly, the L (our public transit train system) can be an attraction in itself for your daughter. You will likely need to take it at one point if you aren't driving (and I don't recommend you).

Like I said, I am born and raised here, so if you have any more questions - happy to help!

Have a great trip!
  • jqh23
    Options
    I found my link for free museum days and here is what it says about the children's museum @ navy pier:

Chicago Children's Museum
    Always free: Free for everyone from 5-8 p.m. every Thursday, and the first Sunday of every month for kids 15 and under. Always free to children under 1.

I found this too:

Family Fun Fest at Millennium Park
    Daily June 17 - August 18
    Michigan Avenue between Randolph/Monroe, Chicago
    Have a blast daily in the Activity Zone from 10am - 3pm, and enjoy Wiggleworms music at 10am; a Reading Circle at 11 a.m., and concerts and entertainment at 1 p.m.
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you are in Lombard, head to the Dupage Children’s museum in Naperville. There is a nice river walk in downtown Naperville, and also Centennial Beach. You can swim, take a paddle boat ride, all kinds of stuff.

I would also recommend Brookfield zoo, they have some cool exhibits going on.
  • jqh23
    Options
    Also, there are free fireworks at Navy Pier every Wednesday and Saturday night at 930 pm
  • Christie0428
    Options
    this is all awesome!! thank you all!!!