Manual Labor Calorie Counting

Options
LoriIAM
LoriIAM Posts: 73 Member
I don't have the time or the motivation to "exercise." I like to get stuff done. Yesterday, I spent two hours with my husband clearing brush on a hillside. Today, we hauled and stacked it and some firewood. I'm burning calories, but I don't know how to count them. I was sweating and breathing heavy. My muscles are sore. I know I burned calories.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• rachelwarner32
    rachelwarner32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Gardening is an exercise option. Cleaning is another. I would meet somewhere in between those for calories burned.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't compare gardening and manual labor. Look for some listed exercise that combines light cardio with heavy lifting and use that. If nothing else, err on the conservative side and log it as brisk walking, hiking, or light swimming. You might be able to find something for wood chopping or moving boxes listed online somewhere.
  • rachelwarner32
    Options
    2 hours of gardening listed on this sight is 724 calories burned which sounds pretty accurate with clearing brush and stacking wood.
  • RobynLB83
    Options
    2 hours of gardening listed on this sight is 724 calories burned which sounds pretty accurate with clearing brush and stacking wood.

Oh. Then they are way overstating the gardening calories. And... have you ever DONE manual labor... I mean really DONE it? You burn upwards of 1,000 calories per hour. Not 300 something.
  • rachelwarner32
    Options

Oh. Then they are way overstating the gardening calories. And... have you ever DONE manual labor... I mean really DONE it? You burn upwards of 1,000 calories per hour. Not 300 something.
    I burn 450 doing 45 minutes of Insanity. I don't think over estimating calories is a good idea. I don't know why you're being mean but I was just trying to help find an accurate burn. I thought this sight was to help motivate and inspire one another :-)
  • bill323
    bill323 Posts: 100
    Options
    The easiest way is to make a note of it but don't bother trying to figure out a calorie number and eat like you would any other day.

I do this because for every day I exert myself more than normal there will be a day where I just bum around the house and don't move much.
  • RobynLB83
    Options

I burn 450 doing 45 minutes of Insanity. I don't think over estimating calories is a good idea. I don't know why you're being mean but I was just trying to help find an accurate burn. I thought this sight was to help motivate and inspire one another :-)

I wasn't being mean. I was just saying that those calories are obviously wrong for gardening. I thought you were a full grown woman, jeeze. (See; that's what mean sounds like. Insert passive aggressive smiley face). My point was only that gardening does not equal clearing brush. I didn't tell her to log it as 1000 per hour. That's hauling *kitten* and carrying uncommonly heavy loads. I told said log it like light cardio which is just under 500 per hour.
  • LoriIAM
    Options
    Thanks for all the good ideas. I'm going to look around for wood chopping and hiking.

I'm sure that no one was trying to be mean, but some people really haven't done much in the way of manual labor. I haven't done Insanity for an hour, so I can't compare. I just know that I get sweaty, my heart beats harder than normal, and my muscles speak to me for a couple days afterward.

I like manual labor a lot, ... much better than going to a gym or recreation-type exercise. (Personal preference) It's great to look back at a hillside cleared, for example. My sweet husband and I are both over 60 and by God's grace, we accomplish some seriously strenuous projects. He's given us the strength to accomplish some work. I appreciate it.

"Let Your work appear to Your servants and Your glory to their children." Ps 90:16

Again, thanks for all your suggestions.
  • GypsyPirate
    GypsyPirate Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone already suggested it - I wear my heart rate monitor when doing things like this so I can get an accurate idea.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    There is an exercise for moving furniture/boxes. That might work. In the search bar just type in "Moving".
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    If you are going to be doing it often though, why not set your activity level higher?
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I don't have the time or the motivation to "exercise." I like to get stuff done. Yesterday, I spent two hours with my husband clearing brush on a hillside. Today, we hauled and stacked it and some firewood. I'm burning calories, but I don't know how to count them. I was sweating and breathing heavy. My muscles are sore. I know I burned calories.:flowerforyou:

I used to just consider it "strength" and not "cardio"; and with the way I log, I usually just consider strength a wash and only count my cardio calories...but then I wore my HRM the other day when I was loading/unloading lumber and cement bags in a trailer. Dang! Yeah...from now on, I'll wear my HRM when I'm going to be doing some heavy manual labor. Not as good a burn as a three-mile run...but definitely not the same as sitting on the couch. :)
  • quiltlady77
    quiltlady77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have had the same problem because like you I do a lot of yard work, cutting branches off of trees and other things you mentioned and I enjoy doing it. I found this website: http://caloriecount.about.com/activities-occupation-ac11 which lists many activities and the calories they burn. I now use that when I do something out of the ordinary although I do go to the gym at least 3 x wk. I am 72 and also thank the good Lord for this strength and good health and hope I can continue too. Good luck!
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    invest in a heart rate monitor and wear it during the activities. I KNOW you are burning tons of calories because I did the same kind of outside chores with my husband. You'll be amazed at what you burn. Polar is a good brand and you can get one on amazon or there are other kinds, personal preference. Good luck!!
  • willtrainforchocolate
    willtrainforchocolate Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A calorie burn is a calorie burn. Doesn't matter how you do it. A HRM is a great idea to be specific. Otherwise there are loads of great calorie calculators online.
  • LoriIAM
    Options
    I love the combination of brain and brawn on this site. I think I will try a heart rate monitor. Thanks for the insights.
  • LoriIAM
    Options
    "I'll either find a way or make one." Good motto.