Scared.. Depressed after weight loss

Options
Hey guys! I lost like 80 pounds in one year.. I weigh now 147 pounds.. I am 18 years old guy.. and I feel really depressed and bad.. This is the third week of maintaining and I was weighing myself everyday but this week.. and in these 3 weeks I started to eat normal.. I changed my workout program and anything.. 30 minutes per day everyday.. I up my calories 100 more per week but I am soo scared to gain more weight! As I said I haven't weighed myself this week .. and I am really scared to check the scale on saturday after a week where I tried to eat everything in moderation... I feel really really depressed, scared, bad, tired and sometimes I go in a shop I wanna SCREAM LOUD when I check the calories of the product I like..

Replies

• missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I think perhaps you need to speak to your doctor about the way you are feeling.
  • AmberLee2012
    AmberLee2012 Posts: 540
    Options
    You need to talk to your doctor ASAP! Suicidial thoughts are nothing to mess around with. It sounds like you might have a chemical imbalance which requires a doctor to monitor. Congrats on your weightloss! See your doc who can help get your moods regulated so you can enjoy all the hard work you have done.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Please talk to a professional counselor. Here are some resources if you are in the US

In the U.S., call 1-800-273-8255
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

http://suicidehotlines.com/
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I think perhaps you need to speak to your doctor about the way you are feeling.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Seek help from a professional. Through your weightloss you have created a mental link between your self worth and your weight, which although entirely false, will continue to play on your mind unless you have the issue dealt with.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Well its not the end of the world if you rebound gain a little. Its going to be trial and error to find what works for you to maintain. Try to find some joy in your success. You have done an amazing job of loosing and it will be another job to find out what works for you to maintain.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    147lbs is an awesome weight for a guy to be. You've done brilliantly to lose so much. And don't forget, the transition from loss to maintenance can be difficult, it will take a bit of juggling to work out your quantities, so if your weight fluctuates up and down a bit for a month or two, THAT'S ABSOLUTELY FINE.

Focus on the positives, how far you've come, how amazing you've been to do this.

Keep rocking

PrimalGirl
  • carpetbagger12000
    carpetbagger12000 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can change your settings so that you establish a maintenance diet. MFP will tell you exactly how much to eat to maintain your new weight and still log your calories. That takes the guesswork out of "eating moderately". There's no need to be depressed. You might have other problems you want to talk to a doctor about other than fear of weight gain.
  • Fisherdh13
    Fisherdh13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi, Don't be scared. Its just living. Do you have a support system of friends and relatives? Talk to them. If not, talk to your doctor. You shouldn't feel that way. Nothing in life is quick, after all, you just spent a year doing a really good thing. Have some patience and take one day (or one hour) at a time. Get on the scale more often if that worries you. Find things that are fun and that relax you and add them to your life. If you continue to feel like you can't go on, get help.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Seek help from a professional. Through your weightloss you have created a mental link between your self worth and your weight, which although entirely false, will continue to play on your mind unless you have the issue dealt with.

^^^ This.
  • xbeingawesome33x
    Options
    Tried to change the settings but MFP gaved me too many calories after such a weight loss.. I up my calories manually every week..
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'll second everything everyone else said before me. Talk to a counselor about these feelings. Try to remember that life is a series of challenges and choices. Sometimes we slip up, fall down and have to regroup. We learn and become stronger for the next challenge.

You did great and should take comfort in knowing you CAN control your weight!! I've been dieting 6 months and only lost a fraction of that weight. Now you have to redefine your self-worth, so it doesn't hinged on what a scale says.

Gaining a few pounds should only serve as a motivation to tweak your diet, or work out harder. It should NOT BE a life altering (or ending) moment for anyone. Please relax and seek out someone to help you tweak your thought patterns as much as you did your diet.

Be good to yourself! You're 18 and have your entire life to figure this journey out!! ;-)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Food is not the enemy. It is energy. You learned how to get the weight off, now you must learn to continue to eat in a healthy way, in the right amounts, to maintain your weight. This is not something to be scared of.