so frustrated!

Options
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, and that stupid scale just won't go down. I measure myself weekly now and that hasn't budged either. I've been actively trying to lose weight for the past month or so and no progress. I've been using the mfp app since 5/20 to log food/exercise and have made sure to be pretty accurate. I thought I was seeing progress when last week the scale read 166.6, but then after Saturday (didn't log calories that day, was celebrating little sister's 21st bday. only had like 2 drinks though, and didn't eat a ton), the scale has gone right back up to 170 and hasn't budge since. I feel so dejected because this seems like it always happens this way. I made progress for a few weeks with whatever new diet or regime, then it's like my body says "okay, I think I've figured out your game, here's your weight back!"

what am I doing that I can change? am I exercising way too much? eating too much?

Replies

• Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Having a quick look at your last fully logged day, I think your sodium levels are too high. That can cause water retention and that may be part, if not all, of your problem.
    Cut your sodium drastically and increase your fibre. Try that for a fortnight and see what happens.
    Oh, and drink lots and lots of water.
  • adakane
    adakane Posts: 3
    Options
    I know how hard that is! You can do it! How much are you exercising along with cutting calories intake? Also, I know for myself, even when I am cutting calories, if I don't eat cleanly, the weight comes down very slowly or not at all! So I just started to go back to "clean" diet (as clean as I can anyway since I don't really cook). And I don't do steady cardio exericse, I do a lot of strength interval training to build muscle since that burn a lot more calorie much more efficiently.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You were retaining water after your sister's party thanks to an increase in carbs and sodium. It's your body's natural response to a cheat day and it's never a good idea to weigh right after one.
  • symplestytches
    symplestytches Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    okay, so drink water to flush out the excess sodium, cut current sodium intake a LOT (ie, I'm not adding salt to things for a while, just going with what's naturally there), more greens and fiber, alternate cardio days with strength days. I will give this a shot! hopefully something happens for the better! thanks guys
  • heathmarie143
    heathmarie143 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you are. I was stuck at 170 for forever..... I would go down to around 167 but then the next time I got on the scale it was back up to 170-171. I started drinking water like a champ and it is helping flush out a lot of the excess water weight.

I agree with the others.... drinks LOTS and LOTS of water and try to watch the sodium levels on what you're eating. I'm guilty of this too -- a lot of the stuff I think is a healthy alternative is actually high in sodium. Don't just cut out the salt you add to your food, but try to cut back on some of the high-sodium foods you normally eat. It's a pain at first, but it gets easier and I think with this you'll start to see a difference.
  • ElaineKennedyMoffat
    Options
    I feel exactly the same. I have been using MFP app for weeks as an alternative to Weightwatchers which used to work for me. I was really pleased when I started to lose weight using MFP but only lost 4-5 lbs and now nothing for weeks, I am guilty of indulging in sweets occasionally, but always record the calories. I'll try upping the water consumption and see if that helps.
  • littlebrownbat3
    littlebrownbat3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree with the water suggestion. I noticed that my scale would not budge at all unless I drank tons of water. In fact, on days I am lazy about water drinking I am sluggish, and feel bloated and like I need to feel "flushed" (I can be slow in making the "drink more water" connection) and I notice that the scale always reads higher the morning after I skip out on water. It can make a difference of a few pounds.

On the other hand...how is your vitamin intake? I used to be very "I get the nutrients I need from foods" but didn't realize medications I was taking for chronic conditions excessively depleted specific vitamins that are necessary for processing fats and sugars, and keeping your metabolism going. For women, common depletions are iron, calcium, magnesium, B6 and B12. I've given up my militant ways and have had to start taking vitamins, and I feel better, and it's been coming off faster. (I know, scale says I've lost 3 pounds, but I've been away for a while, so it's really more like...13...and I was too lazy to change the scale)
  • symplestytches
    symplestytches Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I take a One A Day for women. I also have an allergy pill (zyrtec), and blood pressure medication, along with a birth control that I "get" to take every morning to function properly. Been on the blood pressure meds for about a year now. I hate them, but with them my BP is usually 140/90, and without it has been as high as 180/120. I'm hoping that by losing the excess weight and doing cardio that I can get those numbers down to a range that I won't need the BP pills. but first I need to lose this stupid weight!!!