HRM Question

Options
So I've never owned a HRM before and I am considering purchasing one.

Only thing I am wondering is if the chest strap fits larger individuals. Are the chest straps that come with these things big enough to fit those of us who have a lot of weight to lose. I'm like 255 lbs and don't want to spend a lot of money just to have to lose weight to use the thing, haha.

Replies

• tbenart
    tbenart Posts: 1
    Options
    HRM's have straps that are adjustable and will fit anyone. I really suggest that you use one as it really helps you to see just how many calories you really are burning. Until I used one I had a hard time balancing calories consumed and calories burnt.

Good luck.

By the way - I found a Polar FT4 to be a reasonably priced and efficient HRM.
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Rob, my husband just got me the Polar FT7 which is unisex and it fits me and I am 228 lbs. I still have more to stretch it out even at this weight. I have looked into the Garmin Fore Runner, Puma, Polar and everyone has said that Polar is the best. Hope that helps cause I love mine!!!
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I love it, the chest strap is fits up to about a 60" chest I believe and is adjustable. I was a bit concerned as well, but it fits perfectly under the breast area of your chest. Good Luck!
  • acreator24
    acreator24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I bought a Timex Ironman version with the chest strap, it came with 3 different size stretchy straps and I needed the big one since I was 275lbs at the time. THe stretch straps still adjust a bit too so if the big one is too big you can make it a smaller. Love this tool...it was about $75 via Amazon.com a year ago which was about half the cost of some of the other more popular HRM's and it works perfectly - even matches up with the eliptical trainer HRM which is made by Polar (name brand hrm).

The one i got also counts calories burned...I made sure of that before I bought one.
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I was 246 when I started and it fit fine. I would highly suggest getting one.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar FT7 a few months ago and I love it! I just measured the chest strap on it, and it was 36 inches long. But at least half of it is elastic, and it's adjustable, so it's pretty forgiving. I think you'll be fine with it.

BTW, I like the FT7 because it's coded. That means the wrist computer only picks up the frequency of the transmitter it came with. This is handy in the gym. The first one I bought wasn't coded, and it wouldn't work right around other HRMs or around the machines due to RF interference. I took it back and got the FT7 and I haven't had a problem. It's also water-proof so you can swim in it, and the strap is machine washable.

Good luck!
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It sounds like one will fit just fine.

My birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and now I know just the thing to ask for!