MY DIARY IS OPEN

Options
can somenoe review? I've posted this before, and gave it more time, but I'm still not losing. in fact, some days I gain! I know I need more water and have been logging that, and also need to work on my sodium. I am just STUCK!!!! I log everyday. I think I missed Satruday or Sunday this past week, as we were away. I didn't eat terrbily though. I do measure my food. even when we cook with olive oil!

Replies

• Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Have you measured? You may be losing inches then what is on the scale.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    i do measure, and I think i have lost a couple, but i don't know. maybe I'm measuring wrong! i do see change in my body......it's just frustrating!
  • raylenel
    raylenel Posts: 41
    Options
    I found it helpful when I increased my protein a bit more.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks good. Are you getting any excercise? Do not weigh yourself every day that will drive you nuts. Try to weigh in no more than once a week. I do not know how long you have been trying but I know when I started it seemed to drop so slow. Be patient do not let it get you down. Maybe consult a doctor if you keep having a problem, I know with some of my wife medication hers is dropping real slow. Good luck and hang in there.
  • rlwaldie
    rlwaldie Posts: 5
    Options
    One of the first things I did was adjust my macronutrient goals in MFP since it was set to 15% protein and 55% carbs. I do a lot of strength training so I adjusted it to 40 carbs/30 protein/30 fat.

I'm not sure what your weight is, but a lot of people look to the 1gr per lb rule as a way to break some plateaus. Basically, for every pound of your 'goal weight' you should aim for a gram of protein per day. This doesn't really work for people looking to build a lot of muscle, since it will hinder that, but it is a great goal to work at when trying to break a plateau. This is just my experience though, so I'm sure there's many who will not agree with my suggestion.

Something you might want to try is, as well, is buying things that aren't flavoured and flavouring them yourself and avoiding prepared items in lieu of making them. For example, the greek yogurts you could buy plain and add your own fruit or honey instead of buying flavoured. Buy chicken breast and season it instead of buying seasoned chicken breast. These might not impact much but it's worth a shot if you're finding you're not seeing any results on your current plan.

Preparing your own food will help a lot with the sodium since prepackaged items often are higher in that area.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    your diary looks good - you could maybe have a fiddle with your macros - try upping the protein (&fat) to find what works for you.
  • djwife03
    Options
    thanks all! my weight is 166. but this morning it was 168! so, i was upset. I do exercise, and that is logged in my diary. i just finished the 30day shred. and am doing Jillian MIchaels 6 week abs workout, and just started her Ripped in 30 this week(i did the ab workout with the shred, and am still doing it with the ripped in 30 workout). Depending on how I feel, certain days I do all three....30 day shred, ripped in 30, and the ab workout. I am not eating exercise cals back mostly either. I don't want to deprive myself either, but I have been because I don't know what else to do! I try not to weigh myself everyday, as it drives me nutso!
  • djwife03
    Options
    Do I need to workout more? if so, then I need to eat more.....Dont' want to do that!
  • djwife03
    Options
    I can't help but feel that I'm doing something wrong! last year at this time I was 158!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Here's my question. Did you set your mfp up to lose a lb a week or to maintain. I'm mostly looking at how you're in the green every day and if you set it up to maintain, that's fine. But you're in a hell of a deficit if you have it already set up to lose a lb a week.
  • djwife03
    Options
    I set it up for 1/2 lb per week. my TDEE -20% is 1886, and MFP gave me 1810, so i stuck with 1810. Not eating back all calories, but i will have an apple or a banana after a workout. i set my MFP activity level as lightly active. I do sit at a desk for 8hrs a day, but i do workout at least 4 days a week, so I picked lightly active.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You are not supposed to have calories left over even when you work out. Your left over calories is supposed to be 0 or as close to zero as possible to lose the weight you told this website you want to lose.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't count any of your exercise activity toward their calorie goal. Most people are lightly active even with a desk job since the majority of us move around, cook, do chores, etc. That's what makes eating back exercise calories important. You have a 250 calorie deficit built in to lose .5 lb a week. By not eating the burned calories back your deficit gets too large.
  • glassyo
    Options
    i do measure, and I think i have lost a couple, but i don't know. maybe I'm measuring wrong! i do see change in my body......it's just frustrating!

*ahem* There's also this. If you're losing inches and your clothes are fitting better/getting looser, then that's more important than a number on the scale.

Also, teagirl's right. Even if you set up mfp to take into account your tdee minus 20%, you're putting yourself into a bigger deficit by not eating your daily goal calories.
  • djwife03
    Options
    i get so confused with all that! so, even when I workout, i need to make sure I NET 1810? is that right?
  • djwife03
    Options
    and, yes thank you! I do know that I should care more about the fact that I'm losing inches! I just like a hamster on a wheel right now!

so, if i burn 500 cals tonight, need to eat that much ON TOP of my daily 1810?
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    I would rather notice changes in my body that notice a difference on the scale any day. take some new selfies
  • glassyo
    Options
    So tdee is total daily energy expenditure. That normally means with exercise already added in. If you set mfp up so the 1810 includes exercise then, no, don't eat them back. If it doesn't include exercise, log it and eat those calories back too.

it might help to go in and put your own manual calorie goal instead of relying on the losing .5 lbs a week way, also. That might be less confusing.
  • djwife03
    Options
    how do i know if i set it up with exercise included? by my activity level? i have lightly active right now....???
    exercise goals? I have that set at 4 x a week.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You can click on setting at the top of the page. It should be between help and logout on the right hand side. Go down the list of what shows up and click on the one that says update diet/fitness profile (should be 5th one down). After clicking on it you will be able to see what you put in for your activity level and your exercise. I think it would be better if you do not include your exercises into your daily activity level and only include your exercises in the exercise section. I think it would be better if you choose your activity level based on your job.

You can also change the information in the activity level and exercise section a lot. I played with mine just to see how it changed my net calories.