Analogy to help motivate counting calories

Options
I've lost about 15 lbs since the New Year by eating between 1800 and 2000 gross calories per day and doing as much step aerobics as my knees will permit. One thing that shocks me looking back on my habits before the New Year is that I never counted calories - I just tried to "eat healthy" in a vague, aimless manner. An analogy popped into my mind, and while the comparison may not be precise, I've found it helpful in inspiring me to count calories. Maybe someone else will find it helpful too. Anyway, here it is:

Imagine you walk into a store and you see an item on the shelf. It's an impulse purchase, you don't need it, you know you can't afford it and that you will probably have buyer's remorse as soon as you take it home. Most importantly, it has no price tag. But you decide you want to buy it anyway, so you take it to the register and ask the cashier how much it is. The cashier just shrugs and says, "give me your credit card and we'll send you a bill." Instead of insisting on being quoted a definite price, you hand over your credit card and agree to be liable for the charges, whatever they happen to be. Then you anxiously wait for your credit card bill to arrive at the end of the month and hope the damage isn't too bad. Well, that's pretty much what you're doing with your body when you eat something without knowing how many calories it is.

Again, it's not a precise analogy, it's supposed to be motivational. If anyone found this helpful and wants to help motivate each other, please send me a friend request.

Replies

• lambchoplewis
    Options
    I like this!!! It amazes me when I put all the food into MFP how fast the calories add up. Even some veggies are high in calories. I started weighing things and 4-6 ounces of a protein is not much.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I think of my calorie budget in the same manner as a financial budget. I have x amount as my salary (my calorie goal). I have bills that have to be paid (my macros that I must hit). Beyond that is my fun money (any excess calories left over) to do with as I see fit. If I want to spend more than my salary (eat more than my allotted calories), I have two options. Save some money (eat less calories on other days), or earn more money (do cardio and burn calories that I can eat back).
  • harrybeard
    harrybeard Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In answer to the above posts: I would say that might work but remember all calories are not equal!
    Some are better for you such as fibourous carbs and cost more to purchase. Remember to take this in account.
  • rose555005
    rose555005 Posts: 15
    Options
    Perfect Analogy! I always think about calories in terms of "cost."
    Thanks for posting!