Overnight Oatmeal

Options
For those who want a healthy breakfast to kick start your day, and may be in a rush in the morning....try making your oatmeal the night before and refrigerate it. It is pretty good, and you can put whatever type of fruit in it.

I like to make what I call 'Funky Monkey Overnight Oatmeal'

1/4cup oats
1/3cup unsweetened Vanilla almond milk
1/4cup silhouette vanilla greek yoghurt
2TBLS of light creamy peanut butter
1/2 banana
=326.2 calories (so a good day starter)

Mix it all together and put in the fridge. I usually keep them in mason jars. Another added bonus to the already protein packed meal is Chia seeds. You can use any type of milk as well, I just prefer almond milk because it has less calories. I made other ones without the PB and put in blueberries or strawberries.

Enjoy :)

Replies

• Achieveyourdream
    Achieveyourdream Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    sounds very yummy will have to try it. thanks :)
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Sounds yum!
  • beckydozois
    beckydozois Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sorry. its is 1 tablespoon of PB
  • par57
    par57 Posts: 74
    Options
    I am going to try this tomorrow! Has anyone made the overnight crockpot oatmeal?
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I make this all the time, I use chobani flavored yogurt and fruits that compliment the flavor.

My family's favorite.

Black cherry chobani
    Dark chocolate almond milk
    Chia seeds
    Oats
    3 fresh cherries chopped
    1 square of 72% dark chocolate chopped
  • dgoradia
    dgoradia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Looks like a good before bed meal. Thanks, bookmarked.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    Sounds delish, thanks.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Does anybody on mfp just bung the oats in water in a pan, leave them soaking overnight and then just heat it up in about 30 seconds in the morning?

Not having a go at you, it just seems that everybody has to add extra sugars, flavours, chewy bits and anything possible to make it not taste like porridge/oatmeal. When it's great just as it is.
  • jenniferbushey69
    jenniferbushey69 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    that sounds so good !!!
  • froyojr
    froyojr Posts: 60
    Options
    Does anybody on mfp just bung the oats in water in a pan, leave them soaking overnight and then just heat it up in about 30 seconds in the morning?

Not having a go at you, it just seems that everybody has to add extra sugars, flavours, chewy bits and anything possible to make it not taste like porridge/oatmeal. When it's great just as it is.

I have a pot dedicated to oatmeal but I worry about the oats going off overnight like that. Does this work for you?
  • dgoradia
    dgoradia Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Yes, I just use milk instead of water.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Options

I have a pot dedicated to oatmeal but I worry about the oats going off overnight like that. Does this work for you?

They don't go off that quickly. If it concerns you, then stick a lid on the pan or chuck it in the refrigerator. I'm pretty careful with food hygiene though, and soaking oats for a few hours doesn't worry me.

I would say that, to get the best texture, give it a quick stir with a wooden spoon as it heats up, though. I don't always bother with this and it's still fine.
  • froyojr
    froyojr Posts: 60
    Options
    They don't go off that quickly. If it concerns you, then stick a lid on the pan or chuck it in the refrigerator. I'm pretty careful with food hygiene though, and soaking oats for a few hours doesn't worry me.

I would say that, to get the best texture, give it a quick stir with a wooden spoon as it heats up, though. I don't always bother with this and it's still fine.

I have followed your instructions for two nights in a row and so far it is working great. I make it in a sort of double boiler (I think it is called a porringer). I tried crock pot oatmeal before but it's always icky by morning. Thanks a lot!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Options

I have followed your instructions for two nights in a row and so far it is working great. I make it in a sort of double boiler (I think it is called a porringer). I tried crock pot oatmeal before but it's always icky by morning. Thanks a lot!

Great! Glad to help!
  • tashalloyd330
    tashalloyd330 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That sounds good. I will have to try it soon! (The original post)