To those that have lost....

Options
a significant amount of weight, what does your diet consist of? What is your daily routine as far as workouts go? I'm just curious because I've seen a lot of people on here that have lost quite a bit of weight and I'd like to know some changes I may have to make in my diet and daily exercise. I'm looking to lose approximately 60lbs. BTW, Congrat's to everyone who's lost weight, big or small.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I qualify as having lost a significant amount of weight but I'll give my two cents anyway.

Eating:

I eat whatever I feel like. I make sure I hit my calories and macros.

For dinner, I usually pick a meat (chicken, turkey, beef, etc) and then center the dish around it. Add in some veggies, maybe some pasta or rice depending on how many calories I've got for the day. I almost always have a serving of ice cream after dinner. (personal preference). Or if I'm craving a certain dish, I make it to fit my calorie/macro budget for the day.

For lunch I usually stick to either chicken & rice or veggies, soup, salad, sandwiches, or wraps.

Exercise:

I started out on the elliptical, moved to the 30 day shred, then got into running with the C25K program, then I did Insanity, and now I'm lifting (stronglifts 5x5 program) and running.

My recommendation is to find something you enjoy doing because the likelihood of adherence will be better.
    There are so many options out there. I'd recommend a combo of both cardio and weight lifting/training.

Basics:

Maintain a caloric deficit (what is required for weight loss) and exercise regularly.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I qualify as having lost a significant amount of weight but I'll give my two cents anyway.

Eating:

For dinner, I usually pick a meat (chicken, turkey, beef, etc) and then center the dish around it. Add in some veggies, maybe some pasta or rice depending on how many calories I've got for the day. I almost always have a serving of ice cream after dinner. (personal preference). Or if I'm craving a certain dish, I make it to fit my calorie/macro budget for the day.

For lunch I usually stick to either chicken & rice or veggies, soup, salad, sandwiches, or wraps.

Exercise:

I started out on the elliptical, moved to the 30 day shred, then got into running with the C25K program, then I did Insanity, and now I'm lifting (stronglifts 5x5 program) and running.

My recommendation is to find something you enjoy doing because the likelihood of adherence will be better.
    There are so many options out there. I'd recommend a combo of both cardio and weight lifting/training.

Basics:

Maintain a caloric deficit (what is required for weight loss) and exercise regularly.

Thanks for the input. :) I like your choice of foods, very easy to stick with, yet not too overwhelming. Right now I am eating 2127 cals a day, sometimes less, about 300-400 less. Is that too much? I'm thinking I should maybe do a 20% or 15% deficit.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Eating:

Exercise:

Basics:

Thanks for the input. :) I like your choice of foods, very easy to stick with, yet not too overwhelming. Right now I am eating 2127 cals a day, sometimes less, about 300-400 less. Is that too much? I'm thinking I should maybe do a 20% or 15% deficit.

Where did you get 2127?

You should do TDEE - 20% if you're not using MFP's automatic settings.

See here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Everybody has their own methods. Personally, I believe in all things in moderation, so I have focused on portion control. However, I monitor my macros and pay special attention to my protein intake.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Eating:

Exercise:

Basics:

Follow this and eat within your calorie needs to lose weight everyday, repeat daily and you will reach your goals.
  • sassyann45
    sassyann45 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For me it has been a process. I started out just eating less and started exercising and it was hard!! I started with baby steps and set small goals for myself. As I achieved my goals I set some new ones.

As I started to lose weight and drop sizes it keeps me motivated to keep going!!!! Every time I hit a plateau I look to see if I am being honest with my food diary, it I keeping track of my workouts and what I can change.

Today when I weighed myself I am lighter than I have been in 26 years. Still have 40 or so more to go and have set new goals for myself.

I in the process of giving up my diet cokes and drinking mostly water. (this is hard for me and I am on day three). I will start PX90 Lean on Saturday and will follow the food plan in the program.

I started using MFP about a month ago and have made some awesome friends who encourage me along the way.

My best advice is to be honest with yourself, count your calories, start some form of exercise, find people who will encourage you, reach out for help when you need, too and don't quit!!!!

Add me as friend if you would like....
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    a significant amount of weight, what does your diet consist of? What is your daily routine as far as workouts go?

I've lost 133 pounds. My diary is open. How I eat now (maintaining) is about the same as how I ate while I was losing. Currently, I eat at a slight deficit during the week and a surplus on weekends. It all evens out. I cook basically all my own food. I eat what I like. 130+ grams of protein, a lot of fat (usually 90+ grams), the rest is carbs. I have treats every day. I eat out occasionally. I have taken a lot of "free days". I never plateaued, and I'm having no problem maintaining so far (9 months in). I always had a reasonable deficit, even when morbidly obese, and never restricted calories unnecessarily. My motto is "live the healthiest life you can enjoy" not "starve until you reach goal weight, then have a hell of a time learning to maintain." I implemented no changes I was not willing to live with for a lifetime. I love good food, and it was fantastic to learn that I could continue to love and prepare good food while still losing weight.

My workout routine is also fairly similar now to what it was when I was losing. I lift weights three times a week, full body routines, 45-60 minutes. I do cardio twice a week; these days it's Bodystep, running and/or HIIT. Time really depends...40 minutes usually, 60+ if I'm on a long run. Cardio I'll skip, weights are basically non-negotiable.

When I first started, I did the elliptical till I built up endurance (in terms of cardio) and confidence, then added some intervals and classes, eventually learning to love running. I lifted weights from month one, doing bodyweight stuff but also free weights, graduating to barbells and racks. I never used machines, other than cable machines.

I am a lot more active in my day-to-day life now. I walk my dog more, enjoy biking places instead of driving, and our weekend activities during summer usually include exploring state park hiking trails. I walk to the grocery store when I can instead of taking the car. I walk down the hall to talk to a coworker instead of sending email, little things like that. I use a Fitbit and aim to get in my 10,000 steps a day.

I've written a few blogs on how I did things:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls/view/follow-up-15-months-134-pounds-lost-at-goal-427140
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls/view/-how-did-you-do-it-262680

YMMV. This is what worked for me. That doesn't mean it's the best choice for everyone. Good luck :)
  • TattedCharli
    TattedCharli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50+ lbs in about 5 months. I use the food tracker on here. I am sure to stay under the calories, fat, sodium, etc. I workout about an hour almost every morning. Workouts consist of 30-40 minutes cardio and 20-30 minutes strength training. On weekends when I have more time I will spend about 2 hours in the gym. Building muscle is important as it speeds metabolism so am make sure I am getting my strength training in also. I have small snacks throughout the day and easily drink about 160 ozs of water daily.

No one is perfect, we all have cravings or slip up and that is ok... just work it off the next day ;-)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    a significant amount of weight, what does your diet consist of? What is your daily routine as far as workouts go? I'm just curious because I've seen a lot of people on here that have lost quite a bit of weight and I'd like to know some changes I may have to make in my diet and daily exercise. I'm looking to lose approximately 60lbs. BTW, Congrat's to everyone who's lost weight, big or small.

I've lost 40 lbs so far. My workouts are weight training 2-3x a week (depending on how sore I am on day 2, pretty much), 2-3 miles walks the rest of the time pretty much.

Otherwise I just count calories (I do TDEE-20%, well, a bit less) and try to eat 120g of protein a day. My diary is open. I eat mostly 'clean' I guess, with some 100 calories treats in there.