Indian Diet for Insanity Workout!

Options
Hi All,

I am in the 4th week of Insanity and still have quite a lot of belly fat.

Since it's difficult to follow the Insanity diet to the 'T' with the non-availability of Shakeology or other suggested foods, I'd appreciate if anyone can suggest a proper Indian diet. Preferably someone from India who's completed Insanity.

My usual daily diet looks something like this:
Pre- Workout:
3 Pistachios/ 3 Almonds/ 2 Dried Figs/ 1 Walnut
1 Chapati with jam smeared on top

Breakfast:
1 Banana
30 gm Quaker Oats Strawberry flavoured porridge in cow milk OR 1-2 Egg Omelette + 60 grms Chicken Salami/ Sausage fried
30 gm Protinex in 125 ml cow milk.

Pre-Lunch:
1 Apple + 1 Chickoo

Lunch:
3 chappatis
1 bowl Indian vegetable/ sabzi or Soya granules sabzi or Paneer sabzi

Post Lunch:
Fruit (Mango) or Flavoured Yogurt

Evening Snack:
5 Pistachios/ 5 Almonds/ 2 Dried Figs/ 1 Walnut

Dinner:
3 chappatis
1 bowl Indian vegetable/ sabzi or Soya granules sabzi or Paneer sabzi or Chicken/ Mutton curry

Please advise if it needs any change or tweaking.

Thanks.

Replies

• dgoradia
    dgoradia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm not from India and I don't do insanity.

Looking at your food, I'm estimating these macros:
    95g-100g fat
    350g-375g carb
    90g-100g protein.
    ~2500 kcal
    (I'm being conservative; I know Indian curry is generally consumed with rice, which I didn't add).

Compare that to your adjusted BMR and you might find some tweaks to be made. Without knowing anything else about you; maybe your kcals are a couple hundred too high.

Although you didn't ask about training, I'd add that there are also more efficient ways to decrease body fat than Insanity.
  • SaiprasadK
    SaiprasadK Posts: 13
    Options
    My rice consumption is close to zilch. I only consume chapatis (wheat flatbreads)
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am an Indian.....I would suggest to reduce chapathi and eat more of chicken fish and eggs. Wheat has gluten and not good for tummy fat....avoid currys as much as possible. Go for grilled version or pan cooked without curry.....Dry fruits is fine ..not too sure about protein powders....You can also eat legumes with some Indian tadka on it...:) cheers..
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I am an Indian.....I would suggest to reduce chapathi and eat more of chicken fish and eggs. Wheat has gluten and not good for tummy fat....avoid currys as much as possible. Go for grilled version or pan cooked without curry.....Dry fruits is fine ..not too sure about protein powders....You can also eat legumes with some Indian tadka on it...:) cheers..
    I am an Indian
    avoid currys

>_o huh?
  • reach4thestar
    Options
    Yes....I know it's hard....but I got to do it....meat chicken cooked as a curry has all the fat in it....and lots of oil on top of it.....I keep it as a treat ofcourse once a week...:)
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Chapatis have a lot of fat in them - at least the way they make them at ours do - you might be better off with plain boiled rice?
  • AthenaErr
    Options
    The healthiness of the curries depends on how much fat is in them - if you are cooking its perfectly possible to make a nice curry with a little bit of spray oil and skinless chicken reducing a lot of the fat.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Chapatis have a lot of fat in them - at least the way they make them at ours do - you might be better off with plain boiled rice?

thats because you smear it in fat after they are cooked.
    Chappatis in itself are NOT unhealthy. (atleast wholewheat in itself isnt)
  • stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Maybe more lean meats, fish, vegetables and eggs and cut down on the chapatis! Maybe have them with one meal as your carbs but not every meal. I would also say mitten is very fatty to have in a curry. Why not try a fish curry when you decide to have a curry? :-)
  • stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    However all that being said jam no expert and just going from personal experience :-)
  • selina884
    Options
    The healthiness of the curries depends on how much fat is in them - if you are cooking its perfectly possible to make a nice curry with a little bit of spray oil and skinless chicken reducing a lot of the fat.
    QFT

The only unhealthy "bit" in a curry is the fats. (cream, oil, ghee etc)
    Everything else is fine.
  • dgoradia
    dgoradia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    In response to all the "fat is bad" replies within the context of OP's diet:

If the macro's I estimated in my initial reply are anywhere close to correct, your fat intake may only be slightly higher than necessary but I wouldn't worry too much about that.
    More importantly, you'd benefit from increased protein intake. Although there are plenty of studies that show 1g/lb of protein isn't necessary (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1850096 & http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129150/), protein is quite satiating and consuming more shows no harm in healthy individuals.

Here's another interesting study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19927027
  • SaiprasadK
    Options
    I have started eating Chapatis/ flatbreads made from soya flour with none to very little ghee. That way it ups my protein intake, hopefully. But will keep in mind to control my chapati intake.

I am nearly off rice. Not only since I thought its high carbs but also coz it makes me lethargic & sleepy thru a work day.

I do eat fried fish/ prawns once a week.
  • AthenaErr
    Options
    The chapatis I know arent just smeared with fat after cooking, but also on the several times they are rolled out. Thats what gives them that multilayer thing I really like. I guess it all depends whats in your chapati and curry - both could be great with moderate fat but both can have a lot of fat. Not that fat is to be avoided completely just that its easy to get too much fat when its cooked into food and you dont notice - plus its tasty
  • SaiprasadK
    Options
    Hahahahaha....let's not go stereotypical here :D
  • SaiprasadK
    Options
    You say that from experience? As in Chapati's are a staple of your diet too?

Also would steamed rice be a substitute? From what I understand, rice would mean more carbs right?
  • reach4thestar
    Options
    Switch to brown rice....you could try phulka version of chapati too if you like it...if you are eating with curry...phulkas are good...
  • selina884
    Options
    Switch to brown rice....you could try phulka version of chapati too if you like it...if you are eating with curry...phulkas are good...

What is a phula version of a chappati?

You mean a smaller chappati?
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    we switched to brown rice..even though its carb loaded..its gluten free and it takes a while for your body to break down unlike white rice....

Having chapati isnt bad at all..I never put ghee or anything on mine..the way I was raised...none of my siblings or myself like ghee.

Indian food overall is healthy..even though it has oil...I use olive oil..but you can always use coconut oil..these are good fats.

Mind you..I dont eat a pure indian diet unless my parents come visit..even then...its not everyday...
  • Viola14
    Viola14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    um,your diet is high in sugar man...the flavoured oats,jam and mango yoghurt .....have the plain stuff.....high GI stuff goes straight to the abs....cortisol receptors and all....