Peeling nails...yuck!

Options
SoDamnHungry
SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
So, for the first time in my life, my fingernails have started peeling. It's absolutely disgusting. I've read it can be hormonal (which would make sense since I recently started and even more recently increased my dosage of Synthroid) or that it can be due to a nutrient deficiency. I'm vowing to eat more protein (have been eating almost none recently), and have also gotten fish oil supplements since supposedly that helps. Can anyone recommend anything else to help treat it? If you've had peeling nails, was it hormone related?

P.S. I'm going to talk to my endocrinologist to see if it's due to Synthroid, but my appointment isn't for a few more weeks.

Edit: Typo.

Replies

• GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've always had peeling nails-I think it just happens with some people. Are you getting enough iron? I know iron can really affect your nails. Also try taking biotin vitamins...they're good for hair and nails.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I've been on Synthroid for close to 10 years and have never had my nails peel. I would focus on the protein, as you mentioned (for a lot of reasons, not just nails).
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Maybe start taking a multivitamin? Also, it might just be environmental factors. You could try massaging them with lotion or soaking in olive oil.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Well, until i read the post I thought you were peeing nails.... so... be happy that you're not doing that, at least.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Nails are a sign of something else going on in your body. Often it's something related to liver (sigh). For me I found out through my nails that I have psoriasis. That will later lead to arthritis (it's that kind). Don't ignore your nails. Go to a dermatologist FIRST (not a regular doctor). They are the best to diagnose issues with nails. Good luck and keep us posted! Do not ignore this...it took 6 months for mine to start to heal.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    So, for the first time in my life, my fingernails have started peeling. It's absolutely disgusting. I've read it can be hormonal (which would make sense since I recently started and even more recently increased my dosage of Synthroid) or that it can be due to a nutrient deficiency. I'm vowing to eat more protein (have been eating almost none recently), and have also gotten fish oil supplements since supposedly that helps. Can anyone recommend anything else to help treat it? If you've had peeling nails, was it hormone related?

P.S. I'm going to talk to my endocrinologist to see if it's due to Synthroid, but my appointment isn't for a few more weeks.

Edit: Typo.

Go to dermatologist first.
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options
    Maybe start taking a multivitamin? Also, it might just be environmental factors. You could try massaging them with lotion or soaking in olive oil.

I am taking a multivitamin. Have been for years.
  • Onesnap
    Options

She should go to a dermatologist. I could be vitamin or nutrient related but in most cases it's something going on in her body (or like she said, something to do with meds). A dermatologist is a great place to start (for nails).
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options
    Well, until i read the post I thought you were peeing nails.... so... be happy that you're not doing that, at least.

Counting my blessings.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Same here lol. I was relived to see it was peeling fingernails and not "peeing nails."
  • Onesnap
    Options

I am taking a multivitamin. Have been for years.

My nail issue started in December and is just clearing up now. It will go in cycles. I was given a medicine to put on the nails at night (for my particular issue). I'm glad I went to the dermatologist she knew right away what it was. Other doctors are not trained in nail issues. Plus, if you don't already the derm can do a full body check (important for folks like myself that are pale).
  • HS2305
    HS2305 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've been taking 600mcg of Biotin every day for the past 2 weeks and my nails have never been so strong. My complexion has also cleared up and brightened and my hair looks much shinier as well. Maybe you could give this a go?
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    Peeling nails can be a symptom of being hypothryoid. You mentioned you recently started taking (and increased dosage on your ) synthroid. It can take up to 8 weeks to see the full effect of taking synthroid on your hormone levels. If you haven't been on it that long, I'd give it some more time to see if bringing your thryoid under control helps with the nails.
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options
    Peeling nails can be a symptom of being hypothryoid. You mentioned you recently started taking (and increased dosage on your ) synthroid. It can take up to 8 weeks to see the full effect of taking synthroid on your hormone levels. If you haven't been on it that long, I'd give it some more time to see if bringing your thryoid under control helps with the nails.

Thanks for the info. The odd thing is that when I was hypothyroid, my nails never peeled. I've been on meds for about four months now.
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options

Thanks for the info. The odd thing is that when I was hypothyroid, my nails never peeled. I've been on meds for about four months now.

That IS weird!
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I had always had really healthy strong nails until 3 yrs ago when they started peeling so much I had to keep cutting them off. My T3 levels were low at the time. A Nurse Practitioner suggested I take a B complex vitamin and Biotin supplement. Boy, have my hair and nails gotten so healthy again! Now I have to cut my nails because they grow so fast . I take 10,000 mcg of Biotin.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie intake? Do you notice any differences with your hair? When I was eating too few calories (read anorexic) my nails were peeling and my hair thinned. Could be a nutrition thing. Make sure you are eating enough, its hard to revers if its from nutrition, took me 6 months of eating healthy to start to go back to normal.
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Not sure of the cause, but I've always had weak nails. Biotin did nothing to improve mine. Recently I removed acrylic nails to find my nails were in terrible shape. I know this may sound really weird, but I saw on TV someone said to add crushed garlic to clear nail polish and let it sit for 5-7 days then polish with this and it will strengthen your nails. It smells terrible, but disappears after awhile. I now have the strongest nails I think I have ever had. Of course I've changed my eating habits also. So who knows what's helped. Just throwing it out there - worth a try.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options

HA! Me too. I clicked because I thought it would be about urinary tract infections. I have a lot of info on that. Can't help with nails, though.
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options
    Your diary isn't open but you said that you've eaten very little protein of late. How's your fat intake been? A very low fat diet can also cause skin, hair, and nail problems.
    What is your calorie intake? Do you notice any differences with your hair? When I was eating too few calories (read anorexic) my nails were peeling and my hair thinned. Could be a nutrition thing. Make sure you are eating enough, its hard to revers if its from nutrition, took me 6 months of eating healthy to start to go back to normal.

My fat and carb intake have been really high lately. I never net less than 1400 (my TDEE without exercise is around 1600) when I'm losing, and I've been at maintenance the past four weeks. In fact, I'd say I've been overeating (to the level of being a total pig) lately. About a month ago, I had three weeks of eating at a net of 1400 because I was a stuffing my face prior to that and gained a couple of pounds. With that exception, I've been eating over maintenance for quite awhile.