How about this idea... Would it work?

Options
Im tired of being uncomfortable! I had an idea.... I buy a bike and ride it to work and back it is 4 miles to work so it would be 8 miles total for my fat butt. I think it will be effective! What do you think?

Replies

• zachherda
    zachherda Posts: 47
    Options
    It definitely can't hurt :) anything is better than doing nothing!
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Good idea. Especially if the weather is nice!!!
  • Ottinger13
    Ottinger13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike back and forth to work. It is a great workout. You need to plan ahead though. I work in an office, so I leave dress hoes there, and a change of clothes. My bike has saddle bags on the back to carry my lunch and change of clothes.

Riding in gives you so much energy in the mornings to get stuff done.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Work for what? Not sure what you are asking there. I'm assuming you mean would that work to lose weight.

For me, biking about 8 miles would burn roughly 300 calories (you may be higher or lower depending on your age, weight, height, metabolism, etc). If you changed nothing else (ate the exact amount of calories to maintain your weight), and rode your bike 5 days a week, that would be 1500 calories, or just under 1/2 a pound a week (43%). Certainly not a bad idea, and pretty good for your legs and heart. But I would suggest tracking your calories and eating healthy also. Weight loss is mostly what you eat. And don't fall into the trap of "oh, I can have this extra treat, I've been good, I biked to work and everything" because it's VERY easy to eat back over 300 calories without even noticing.
  • ssami_89
    ssami_89 Posts: 79
    Options
    I have also made the choice to not eat foods that are processed so like fruit vegtables meats. No can of raviolies and no microwaved meals just pure foods
  • ssami_89
    Options
    I ride my bike back and forth to work. It is a great workout. You need to plan ahead though. I work in an office, so I leave dress hoes there, and a change of clothes. My bike has saddle bags on the back to carry my lunch and change of clothes.

Riding in gives you so much energy in the mornings to get stuff done.

I'm sorry I cracked up when I read that you leave dress hoes at your office lol but yea im going to need a backpack or something!
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking of doing the same thing:flowerforyou:
    thing is my ride to work would be all up hill :grumble:
    but on the other hand my way home is all down hill:laugh:
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Is there a place for you to shower when you get there in the morning?
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Do it. Challenge yourself for 30 days and take a before and after shot! Really can't hurt! Good luck!
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Yes! DO IT :D
    Ive started bicycling to places a couple of months ago and it definitly works. I have to go a total of 14 km a day.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Is there a place for you to shower when you get there in the morning?

Good point.
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've thought about that too, but I'm paranoid about showing up at work smelling sweaty.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    couldnt make u fatter for sure!! lol
    it would suck in the rain tho
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    That would be great, but make sure you are also eating at a moderate calorie deficit. You could ride a bike for 18 hrs a day and not lose an ounce, if you are overeating.

"You can't out-train a bad diet", and it is SO true! Good luck!
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Do it! I was riding my bike about 7 miles each way a few times a week when I lived in the east bay. There were shower facilities but I didn't use them. Really, unless it is super hot out I don't think you'd sweat so much you had to shower when you got there.
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My partner puts 12,000+ miles on his bike a year. He didn't own a car for 25 years and now that we're moved doesn't drive.

Go to a bike shop. Get the right bike for you. TELL THEM you want to commute and you need gear for clothing, lunch, etc. Ask for discounts/freebies. (He's been in the industry since 1979. Trust me.) A good shop will fit you, watch you ride, ask about the types of roads/paths you'll be taking AND work within your budget.

Panniers do not affect your balance. A basket will work better of mounted to the frame, not the handlebars.

Wear wicking clothes and you shouldn't have much odor/sweat to deal with. Do pack a washcloth/deodorant etc for a quick wipedown when you get to work.

HAVE FUN!!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I have also made the choice to not eat foods that are processed so like fruit vegtables meats. No can of raviolies and no microwaved meals just pure foods

I think it's more important that you eat FEWER calories than "clean" calories. Eating "pure foods" (wtf does that even mean, anyway?) won't make any difference if you are eating more calories than you are burning. Sure, it's important to get fresh vegetables in, but there'd be nothing wrong with a can of ravioli for lunch, if it fits into your calorie goal. Just so you know. :)
  • ssami_89
    Options
    pure foods like in its original state not processed Im not going to eat a bunch of calories I will still be within my calories I might raise mine because of more activity but im not going to overeat