Fat girl running????

Options
124»

Replies

• jme6976
    jme6976 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I too used to say I was envious of those who can run. Then I told myself I could too and I can. For me there was a huge mental block telling me I couldn't. I decided to work up to doing a 5k this year. Didn't train specifically just ran and walked intermittently along with Zumba, Pilates and some other exercises. Prior to the race I had never ran more than a mile straight. The day of the race I told my stepdad who was racing with me that I was just going to start out running and go til I can't give anymore then walk. I ran the whole race in 31:53. It was an awesome accomplishment. Even after the race there is that mental block and the first 5 minutes suck but after you get your rhythm (breathing is key) you will find you can just keep going! If you wanna do it then push. This year I've tried to focus more on "what if I..." Not "I can't"
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was 180 (@ 5'5") and so completely out of shape. And now I'm training for my first half marathon in October! It is totally possible if you want it bad enough!! I highly suggest getting properly fitted to avoid injuries to ankles and knees though. Add me if you'd like!
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    images_zps85145f59.jpg

I bought this t-shirt. I think running sucks, but I still do it everyday. I do like the way my legs feel when I all out sprint, but I can't do that for long periods of time.

If YOU love it...like others have said (and to borrow from Nike) JUST DO IT!!
  • GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", about 205 and I run. I love the feeling that I get after a good run, nothing else can top that feeling. I got fitted for running shoes after I started to have shin pain (I've had stress fractures in my shins before and I will do anything to avoid that again) and having the right shoes helps a lot. They weren't that expensive either, maybe $90. Also, I wear the Enell sports bra and I am a 36F and it has really helped, but it does make you have a uniboob. I, however, do not care what my boobs look like as long as they don't move when I am running, I am happy!

LMFAO

HAHAHA OH MYYYYYY....

I TOTALLY have a uniboob too!!! I know the feeling!!!

FUNNYYYYYY :P
  • soulmatesnvrdie
    Options
    When I went sports bra shopping, I went to a few places, but decided on this one at Dillards (http://www.dillards.com/product/Lunaire-Sports-Bra_301_-1_301_500477234?df=00748696_zi_white). I had the sales woman help me wrangle up all the sports bras in my size which was only about 3 or 4, being a 40DD at the time. I was literally jogging in place in the fitting rooms trying to figure out which one was best for me lol, I felt stupid but it helped me decide which would hold them in place. Before I got that bra it was almost impossible for me to go running without doing the whole "arms across your chest to hold your boobs down" thing.
  • soulmatesnvrdie
    Options
    ^^plus to that bra^^ no uni-boob lol
  • ammthegr8
    ammthegr8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 270 (and 5'4) right now and just starting to walk/run. My high weight was 390 and I bought a treadmill. At the time I felt like I was going to die when I walked a mile in 26 minutes! I lost a hundred lbs via the sleeve and didn't exercise. In April I decided to sign up for a 5k and got back on the treadmill. The first time I walked I did a mile in 18 minutes. I'm now down to 16:25. I walk at 3.3 and run on 5 throughout the mile and then do another mile walking at 3-3.5. I can tell a huge difference in myself in just the almost 2 months I've been doing it--my recovery time once I'm done is much better and I can still sing through both miles! I'm looking forward to when I can run the whole thing, but right now my goal is just to get one mile done in less than 16 minutes! Set mini goals and celebrate them when you reach them!
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Get a good pair of shoes. Not all brands are created equal. Some really "good" shoes make my feet hurt. Find the ones that are good for you. Try a combo of walking and running, Don't feel you have to run the whole way/time. Pay attention to those pains, if it's more than just mild discomfort, make adjustments. I pushed a few times with increasing speed and/or distance and ended up injuring myself. Better to go slowly. I borrow Runners Mag. from the library. It inspires me. I have a few friends who've had great success with running clinics/ clubs. If you can afford it, maybe a trainer the first few weeks or months to get you started. Cross train. I find it very helpful to bike and do leg strengthening exercises. It helps to stabalize my knees. Also, if you do have any persistent pains/injuries, check with your doctor or a sports therapist to find ways to work with and around these challenges. Finally, have fun! Be kind to yourself and enjoy the runs. Sometimes the first 10 minutes are the most difficult, but then you settle into a rhythm and enjoy running.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Even after the race there is that mental block and the first 5 minutes suck but after you get your rhythm (breathing is key) you will find you can just keep going!

It's funny. That block is there for Olympic athletes too. It's actually physiological.
  • nshidi
    nshidi Posts: 10
    Options
    Do not rush into doing running and for longer periods right away because you may be at a higher risk for joint/ bone injuries. Stretches are great way to prepare. Start by walking 10 minutes even before each meal. Do not start by doing a speed walk right away either; it is important to warm up your muscles and joints to avoid shin splints and risks of other injuries. Do a step more than you did yesterday. Increase your time every couple of days or weekly. Even when you get to fast walking & running, you want to always warm up before starting for a good 5-7 minutes and cool down, do not stop suddenly and wait and go about your normal routine, cool down by slowing down a bit to bring the heart rate down and do some gentle stretches. :)