buying a treadmill :)

Options
Finally convinced my hubby that a treadmill would really help me achieve my weightloss goals. He's really skeptical....and rightly so...has watched me go to WeightWatchers, join the gym, buy exercise equipment that I never ended up using only to bring me back to my starting weight! I am determined to make this work this time though!! Any advice on which treadmill to purchase...looking for a higher end model that will last me forever....

Replies

• Sonflower
    Options
    I had a treadmill once and I did not care for it, my knees always hurt after I had finished my workout..we finally purchased an elliptical and I just love it..I will admit that I have not worked out on it all the time..but I am back at it now that I am doing this program..I am more determined to loose this 30 lbs...
  • KellieMcMurdy
    KellieMcMurdy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a treadmill too ... please let me know what you decide on and how you like it. I've heard that the ellipticals are easier on the joints but I'm hoping one day to be able to run again and not so sure that would work for that ... then again maybe by then I'll have won the lottery and have everything I want as well as a trainer and chef :)
  • Danielle_81
    Options
    I have no idea about what brand to buy but if I could go back and do it again I'd buy an elliptical instead of our treadmill. You can't run on the elliptical but you're getting the running motion, and it's better for your joints until your weight is down so that running is easier.
  • danogg
    danogg Posts: 8
    Options
    I've tried the ellipticals at the gym...and I know they're supposed to be easier on your joints...but honestly, I found my knees hurt more after working out on them and also, my feet would go numb? Maybe I wasn't using the machine correctly but I much prefer the treadmill just for the variety of workouts you can do on it...walking, jogging, hills, etc. I guess I won't be able to use the weather as an excuse not to exercise anymore LOL.
    Super stoked to get my treadmill!!!!
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It is all about quality... dont buy a treadmill that is only a few hundred dollars... you get what you pay for... my apartment complex had some inexpensive treadmills and I managed to make them smoke.. literally....

I highly recommend the bowflex treadclimber for home use...you can find them on the web... they are expensive... but they have a monthly payment plan... as long as you use it ... its worth the money.. I play mental games with myself.. My goal is to exercise 90 minutes a day but on the days I dont feel like it I tell myself that I must do 30 minutes if I still feel like quitting, fine... but at least I got the 30 minutes in. The treadclimber burns twice the calories of a treadmill...
  • danogg
    Options
    I totally agree...my husband is prepared to shell out around 2G for a high quality machine :)
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    I've tried the ellipticals at the gym...and I know they're supposed to be easier on your joints...but honestly, I found my knees hurt more after working out on them and also, my feet would go numb? Maybe I wasn't using the machine correctly but I much prefer the treadmill just for the variety of workouts you can do on it...walking, jogging, hills, etc. I guess I won't be able to use the weather as an excuse not to exercise anymore LOL.
    Super stoked to get my treadmill!!!!
    My feet went numb too on the elliptical...but I LOVED the treadmill when I did go to the gym, more so than the road. The treadmill keeps pushing you along where as the road takes more motivation to keep going in my opinion. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    Wow, a skeptical husband who is willing to drop 2g's on one!

I tried to convince my wife that we should get one and she said that I could go buy a $50 pair of shoes and go outside, haha. That's not even enough to get a good pair of running shoes, lol...
  • brat1076
    brat1076 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    In my head treadmill or my friend Elise has a better name for it the dreadmill. Will look wonderful in the corner of your room with clothes on it. Very expensive clothes hanger. I think there is nothing more mind numbing and boring then plodding along on a dreadmill. Oh my friend elise up there is training for a marathon. lol Plus you do all that work for the calorie burn to stop when you get off the piece of equipment. My suggestion is if you want to get fit really fit then find something that keeps your brain engaged as well as your body. If you want to know what I am doing check out my blog: http://zsfitnezz.blogspot.com/ Since I started my last fitness program I have dropped 20lbs and 5 inches from my hips.
  • fitnesscalv
    fitnesscalv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you had an iphone, i encourage you to buy an armband for it and download one of the many good running apps that track you via gps or buy a nike+ sensor, then run outside. Rain or shine, why do people hate running in the rain? keeps you cool.

Some good apps:

runtastic Pro
    miCoach
    nike+ (built in)

ifitness for all different workouts. (more of a tracker)

runtastic for example plots your route via gps tells you calories burned, speed, average speed, gradients, how fast you done your last mile etc... its great... miCoach I havnt used yet but has voices that tell you when you are going to slow and to speed up.

Excellent motivation and will cost you like £20 for the armband and £2 for the app.

Is there a reason why you won't run outside? seems like a waste of money investing in something you could have at the gym along with everything else you could need.

I've seen so many people buy stuff like treadmills and after 2 months stop using them...
    If you do decide to get one, I wish you all the best with your weight lost goals.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Finally convinced my hubby that a treadmill would really help me achieve my weightloss goals. He's really skeptical....and rightly so...has watched me go to WeightWatchers, join the gym, buy exercise equipment that I never ended up using only to bring me back to my starting weight! I am determined to make this work this time though!! Any advice on which treadmill to purchase...looking for a higher end model that will last me forever....

hi

It all depends on how much you want to spend on one as the prices go from one extreme to the other.

I have a treadmill, it is a Powertrek ultimate treadmill, the maximum speed on it is 20kph which is around 12.5mph. It has 20 different inclines on it. It has 24 programmes, which includes just the manual one, that is the one I use all the time, I like to up my speed and incline myself, as I go along.

There are price deals on the net regarding treadmills at the moment, so you could end up getting a good deal, some semi-commercial ones are going for around £400.

The only thing though, many treadmills, have to be assembled when you receive them. However, having said that so does a lot of gym equipment, this is where patience comes into its own :wink:

Good luck with finding a suitable treadmill, I have had mine for around two years and have used it loads and loads of time, I :heart: my treamill :love: :love: :love:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    In my head treadmill or my friend Elise has a better name for it the dreadmill. Will look wonderful in the corner of your room with clothes on it. Very expensive clothes hanger. I think there is nothing more mind numbing and boring then plodding along on a dreadmill. Oh my friend elise up there is training for a marathon. lol Plus you do all that work for the calorie burn to stop when you get off the piece of equipment. My suggestion is if you want to get fit really fit then find something that keeps your brain engaged as well as your body. If you want to know what I am doing check out my blog: http://zsfitnezz.blogspot.com/ Since I started my last fitness program I have dropped 20lbs and 5 inches from my hips.

What do you mean the calorie burn stops as soon as you get off the treadmill? It doesn't it continues for over 24 hours afterwards!

There has been research on that subject and both cardio and resistance training continues to burn for many, many hours afterwards.

Nothing wrong with treadmills, for some people they are a lifesaver!
  • danogg
    Options
    Wow, a skeptical husband who is willing to drop 2g's on one!

I tried to convince my wife that we should get one and she said that I could go buy a $50 pair of shoes and go outside, haha. That's not even enough to get a good pair of running shoes, lol...

LOL...my husband used to say the same thing. I had a pretty convincing argument this time on why I needed a treadmill....he bought himself a brand new boat last year so this is just a small investment for which he may also reap the rewards...in more than one way...
  • danogg
    Options
    You mentioned you had an iphone, i encourage you to buy an armband for it and download one of the many good running apps that track you via gps or buy a nike+ sensor, then run outside. Rain or shine, why do people hate running in the rain? keeps you cool.

Some good apps:

runtastic Pro
    miCoach
    nike+ (built in)

runtastic for example plots your route via gps tells you calories burned, speed, average speed, gradients, how fast you done your last mile etc... its great... miCoach I havnt used yet but has voices that tell you when you are going to slow and to speed up.

Excellent motivation and will cost you like £20 for the armband and £2 for the app.

Is there a reason why you won't run outside? seems like a waste of money investing in something you could have at the gym along with everything else you could need.

I've seen so many people buy stuff like treadmills and after 2 months stop using them...
    If you do decide to get one, I wish you all the best with your weight lost goals.

Actually, I don't have an iphone...just an ipod Touch. Basically the same except no phone and no GPS....so unfortuantely the apps you suggested won't work on it :(
    I don't mind jogging outside but there are several problems...summers are very humid here and winters are very cold and snowy and our road doesn't get plowed very well so difficult to run in winter here. Also, with my work schedule, I don't get home till dusk once the time changes and really don't feel comfortable running in the dark alone. I know these are all just excuses but I really do believe that a treadmill will motivate me to workout daily. When I do find time to go to the gym, it's my favorite piece of cardio equipment.
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options

Some good apps:

runtastic Pro
    miCoach
    nike+ (built in)

For those who have iPhones, I HIGHLY suggest downloading the runmeter application. It is by far and way better than any other app that I have come across. It is very highly ranked and is a great value at $4.99. Great customer service as well.