Freakinf BiPolar Meds

Options
I've gained 50 lbs from the crap but going off of them really isn't an option. Any thoughts?:angry:

Replies

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    what are you taking specifically?

if i remember correctly, lithium carbonate increases appetite, not decreasing metabolism so just stay within your calories and focus on foods high in protein and fiber.
  • jhender5
    jhender5 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm on Depakote, Lithium, and Abitlify (but just asked the doctor to suspend the Abilify). I have been within my intakes in the past but did not seem to see any response (weigh loss/body fat loss).
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a steroid medication for my asthma for over a year now and I have gained about 30 pounds. It doesn't look like I'll be able to get off of the medication for a few months maybe till the end of the year. It's very frustrating because it's harder to lose the weight. I have however stuck to eating well and exercising so I can maintain the weight I am now. Have you discussed with you doctor any other alternatives? Good luck with everything and hang in there. I know how frustrating it can be.
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm an asthmatic, too and I now how hard it is to lose weight while on meds.

Talk to your doctor and see what he can tell you. If he doesn't seem to listen talk to another doctor. I've talked to two so far and have few answers, but I know they're out there.

Keep your head up and keep eating clean and keep on moving.
  • rochelle122665
    rochelle122665 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    try lowering lithium to 300mg and adding trileptal...it worked for me and seroquel at 25 and adding trazadone
  • meowmetta
    Options
    I was switched to Geodone (SP?) and I did loose weight after that. It makes you tired though, so my Doc put me on them at night. I also work out every morning. I'm a bit manic about it right now, but I think it's good. I actually leave my house for a couple of hours. Then I go home and I'm back in bed. It's better than before though when I would not leave the bed.:flowerforyou:
  • meowmetta
    Options
    I'm looking for Bipolar dieting budies?
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I think its just a case of making sure you work out and eat the right kinds of foods. Its hard when something you need makes it less difficult to lose or maintain weight,but theres nothing you can do but fight it.
  • loulouBell72
    loulouBell72 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would not mess with your meds without Dr supervision but i would talk with your Dr and see if you can speak to someone in the know about loosing weight. Maybe a nurse or dietitian that deals with meds also? Not sure what country you are in so don't know how it works for you.

I am on meds for OCD but luckily they dont affect my weight. I managed to do that all by myself :grumble:

Not knowing enough about your meds its difficult to know if they increase your appetite or actually make you put on weight somehow?

Needs some working out i guess.

Good luck with achieving your goals. We all have many hurdles in our path that need to be worked with some how so remember anything is possible.

Louise
    x
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i just got the script for geodon today feelin a bit nervous cause i dont want to gain the weight back that ive already lost
  • xplasticx
    Options
    I had and ed so they gave me bipolar meds thinking it mellow me out and maybe eat normal. GEODON SCREWED ME UP. I was always a sleeep. Too tired to workout. gained about 20 pounds when I decided they made me worse off. Now I'm med free. Honestly you should try ditching the meds, plus theyre so expensive.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I am so with you, xpltasticx! I've been on so many meds for so many issues for so many years and the cost of them really got to me late last year: that and the fact that some had made me gain weight that I just couldn't lose: I wasn't even maintaining even though I was working out really hard at the gym and being careful with food (seroquil was the WORST! :explode: ). I cut everything except Wellbutrin out a couple years ago, and tried sheer will-power. Earlier this year, I took my last Wellbutrin and haven't touched it since. I lost 4lbs within the first 1 month! I'm looking way better now than before & that helps - when your own self-image improves.
    I do take Rhodiola Rosea in the morning & afternoon which helps with the stress & anxiety I can't completely control and take DIM Plus which helps regulate estrogen metabolism. I know I'm not perfect, far from it, but I really don't want that junk in my system again, and I when I get pregnant, I can't take those meds anyway so I need to know I can do this on my own.
    Exercise is one of the keys and why I workout almost every morning (5-6days a week), and when I start to slip, my fiance knows my signs & symptoms and lets me know so I can try to do something to reverse the downward spiral before it gets too downward :tongue:
  • marykaynikki
    Options
    I am rapid cycling bipolar 1. I'm on Geodon, Trileptal, Cymbalta, along with other scripts RX as needed. NOTHING has made me gain weight like LIthium. I put on nearly 50 pounds. I WILL NEVER AGAIN TAKE THE STUFF. EVER. Plus, the mood stabilizing benefits weren't that great for me. I'm here to try to get off the weight I gained with Lithium. I only advise mental health patients to build a relationship with their pdoc. That relationship has saved my life more than once. My doctor was the one who decided I needed to get off Lithium and get on something that works. Only you and your doctor can make those decisions. I also advice not to become medically noncompliant. Getting off medication and on medication and off medication only increases cycling. Nobody wants to cycle. If you build a relationship with your pdoc, he or she will be able to better prescribe meds that work. It has taken several years and several different medications and a hospital visit to get me stable. BUT I am stable. So, there is hope. Don't give up.