Just get over it already!

Options
I think this was why I've failed so many times before. I couldn't get over feeling "overweight" and "fat" at the gym. So I wouldn't do certain things. If too many people were by the weights, I wouldn't do them. If someone was RUNNING on the treadmill I wouldn't go over there because I couldn't GET OVER MYSELF!

Now, I am finally over it. I go to the weights with all the boys. I do sit ups on the sit up bench and don't care if I have rolls showing. And I get on the treadmill and the elliptical whenever I want--I don't care who's over there!

I honestly don't know what clicked. And it's weird because I never really had "insecurities" until I was in the gym. But I think I just thought about...okay what if someone DOES laugh at me or look at me weird? What will that really do? Absolutely nothing! And of course that never happens, it was all in my head. But somehow something clicked one day, and I just asked myself what I was afraid of...and I just picked up my ****, walked over and did it!

Since I've started not caring about others I've been able to do a LOT more in the gym and I'm definitely noticing a difference now! Have any of you had this kind of epiphany?

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm still not confident enough to go in the weight section, I just do it at home lol.
  • kmartinixx
    kmartinixx Posts: 197
    Options
    Lol trust me I was there. And like I said in my post, I don't know what clicked for me but one day I was like "F" this I'm going to do some weights haha!
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to get over that. Mostly because I don't want to be the idiot-girl-that-doesn't-know-what-she's-doing-in-front-of-the-boys with weights. I'm always asking my boyfriend to take me to the weight section and help me out.
  • kmartinixx
    Options
    Yeah I had my boyfriend go with me sometimes, too! But I had a free membership to my school and he didn't go to my school so he'd always have to pay to go with me which is why that was difficult. But I promise you can do it without your boyfriend, too! Looking silly is all in your head lol. Start out light, and maybe when not too many people are around. Then you'll start to get the hang of it and soon you won't be able to stay away haha!
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I think this was why I've failed so many times before. I couldn't get over feeling "overweight" and "fat" at the gym. So I wouldn't do certain things. If too many people were by the weights, I wouldn't do them. If someone was RUNNING on the treadmill I wouldn't go over there because I couldn't GET OVER MYSELF!

Now, I am finally over it. I go to the weights with all the boys. I do sit ups on the sit up bench and don't care if I have rolls showing. And I get on the treadmill and the elliptical whenever I want--I don't care who's over there!

I honestly don't know what clicked. And it's weird because I never really had "insecurities" until I was in the gym. But I think I just thought about...okay what if someone DOES laugh at me or look at me weird? What will that really do? Absolutely nothing! And of course that never happens, it was all in my head. But somehow something clicked one day, and I just asked myself what I was afraid of...and I just picked up my ****, walked over and did it!

Since I've started not caring about others I've been able to do a LOT more in the gym and I'm definitely noticing a difference now! Have any of you had this kind of epiphany?

Yup. I was there. When I started working out with a trainer again in March, I would only do weights with him. He finally asked me why I wasn't doing weights on my non-PT days. So I gathered up my courage and started going to the free weight area. Keep in mind I'm in 47 years old overweight woman in a room full of 20-something testerosterone-filled boys and old enough to be their mother. LOL. But I still go. And it's given me a lot of confidence in myself.

As a side note, I had a nice thing happen the other day. I was working on hang cleans with my trainer. One of the bodybuilder guys was using the bench next to us. I was getting frustrated trying to get the technique right. The bodybuilder approached me and said, "Hey, don't give up. You're really close to getting it right, and it's one of the most difficult lifts to master. Good work!" Now when I see him at the gym, I always get a head nod and a "whassup" from him. :happy: Makes me feel like I BELONG in the free weight area. LOL.
  • firecat918
    Options
    Even though I know everyone is on their own journey and doesn't care what I'm doing I still don't do the weights because I don't know how. I'll ask a staff member when I hit my goal weight so I can sculpt some are muscles!
  • firecat918
    Options
    that's an inspiration Jody!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    You know, I think this is a great way of thinking about life in general, not just for going to the gym. We worry so much about what other people are thinking that it stops us from truly living a full life. It's great you got that epiphany. Go get 'em! :bigsmile:
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yeah I had my boyfriend go with me sometimes, too! But I had a free membership to my school and he didn't go to my school so he'd always have to pay to go with me which is why that was difficult. But I promise you can do it without your boyfriend, too! Looking silly is all in your head lol. Start out light, and maybe when not too many people are around. Then you'll start to get the hang of it and soon you won't be able to stay away haha!

They only time I am able to go is after work, and that's when EVERYBODY is off work as well. It's always busy. Lol
    Except on the weekends.

Slowly, but surely, I will get over it.
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You know, I think this is a great way of thinking about life in general, not just for going to the gym. We worry so much about what other people are thinking that it stops us from truly living a full life. It's great you got that epiphany. Go get 'em! :bigsmile:

Too true. So glad you got over yourself. The worst limitations are those we impose on ourselves for fear of what others may think.
  • kmartinixx
    Options

Yup. I was there. When I started working out with a trainer again in March, I would only do weights with him. He finally asked me why I wasn't doing weights on my non-PT days. So I gathered up my courage and started going to the free weight area. Keep in mind I'm in 47 years old overweight woman in a room full of 20-something testerosterone-filled boys and old enough to be their mother. LOL. But I still go. And it's given me a lot of confidence in myself.

As a side note, I had a nice thing happen the other day. I was working on hang cleans with my trainer. One of the bodybuilder guys was using the bench next to us. I was getting frustrated trying to get the technique right. The bodybuilder approached me and said, "Hey, don't give up. You're really close to getting it right, and it's one of the most difficult lifts to master. Good work!" Now when I see him at the gym, I always get a head nod and a "whassup" from him. :happy: Makes me feel like I BELONG in the free weight area. LOL.

Awww I love this! Yes, a little motivation when you don't expect it goes a long way. Thanks for your story! Glad you got over the fear, too. It's a great feeling!
  • kmartinixx
    Options
    Even though I know everyone is on their own journey and doesn't care what I'm doing I still don't do the weights because I don't know how. I'll ask a staff member when I hit my goal weight so I can sculpt some are muscles!

That makes sense! I would try watching youtube videos at home and trying to work on your form. Or like you said, ask a staff member! The staff at my gym always remind us that they're there to help and not to be afraid to ask questions. that's what they're there for! Keep it up and you'll get there :)
  • kmartinixx
    Options

thank you, and you're RIGHT! This definitely goes way beyond the gym!
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    And you're probably inspiring others who were just as afraid as you, even though you may never hear it from them. People are probably seeing you as their motivation so just keep doing what you're doing. Great job!
  • kmartinixx
    Options
    And you're probably inspiring others who were just as afraid as you, even though you may never hear it from them. People are probably seeing you as their motivation so just keep doing what you're doing. Great job!

Thank you! That was the purpose of this. I was hoping to give at least just a little motivation to some other women who are afraid because a lot of times we just make things a lot bigger than they really are. And like someone else said, this really isn't only about the gym but lots of different aspects in life! It's also nice to hear other stories of people getting over the fear, too!

Thanks for your nice comment :smile: