Options
Chickyjd
Chickyjd Posts: 131 Member
Why am I never hungry after a workout??

Replies

• sweetmelissaphoto
    sweetmelissaphoto Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If I workout after work I don't get hungry at all. But if I don't workout and just go home, I am ravenous. So, me too! But don't know why!
  • kajungrill
    kajungrill Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good question, I'm not either just thirsty for H2O. With the temperature heating up, I'm pretty much not hungry at all during the day so I eat small and I'm super hungry by dinner and eat my fill.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I would love to know this too. After I workout I'm not hungry for 60-90 minutes so I end up eating dinner between 8:30 and 9pm.
  • Chickyjd
    Options
    I would love to know this too. After I workout I'm not hungry for 60-90 minutes so I end up eating dinner between 8:30 and 9pm.

Lol my point exactly, I'm running a bit late today so only finished my 60 min workout 50 mins ago and I'm still not hungry at all...
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    For me, when I run a significant distance I am immediately ravenous - but after weight training I am not really hungry at all (and I train on an empty stomach). I have no idea why...
  • Chickyjd
    Options
    I found this - http://www.livestrong.com/article/405012-exercise-loss-of-appetite/

And this:

Do workouts cause an increase or decrease of hunger?

Many athletes have reported that after a hard workout that they are not that hungry. Although they had used a lot of energy to perform their exercises, it caused their bodies to have a feeling of fullness. This is because strenuous exercise reduces the ghrelin in your body, which results in a loss of hunger. This causes an effect which lasts about an hour. Research has shown that only 20% of people eat more after exercise than they would without the effort. 65% eat the same amount and 16% eat even less after exercise.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Exactly.
    And why knowledge of that tells you to NOT trust the body.

Because getting some carbs and protein in you quickly can have a great effect on performing well tomorrow.

Coaches have to encourage their athletes to do this all the time. Hydrate when needed, not when it feels like it, electrolytes when needed not because it feels like it yet, and eat enough to keep performing well.

The body can and will fool you, if all you do is listen to it.
    Let knowledge override how you feel.

Besides, usually as soon as you eat something, and the body starts packing it away and restoring glucose stores, now you will be hungry.