Help!!

Options
Well I've been on and off Myfitnesspal for almost 2 years. I was doing really well last summer and come fall I totally fell off the wagon. I feel very lost. I just can't seem to find a plan that I can stick to. I need structure but can't seem to muster the determination I had a year ago to plan and pack what I need for the day so I end up eating whatever is around. I have gained so much weight in the last 6 months and feel like a complete failure.

What has worked for you? Any suggestions?

Replies

• Bella3119
    Bella3119 Posts: 104
    Options
    We're friends and I know you've seen the many restarts I've done in the past year so I can totally relate to what you're feeling. Not giving, forgiving myself and letting go of the "failures" works for me.

I know it's hard but eating as cleanly as possible helps me to feel better. That means restricting the processed foods and eating out. Binging is bad, but its better to binge on strawberries instead of Stacy's pita chips.

I am here with you. :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well I've been on and off Myfitnesspal for almost 2 years. I was doing really well last summer and come fall I totally fell off the wagon. I feel very lost. I just can't seem to find a plan that I can stick to. I need structure but can't seem to muster the determination I had a year ago to plan and pack what I need for the day so I end up eating whatever is around. I have gained so much weight in the last 6 months and feel like a complete failure.

You're not a failure, but it doesn't matter what other people have done, it's what works for you! You say you did really well last summer, so do that again! It's not a case of you can't lose weight, as harsh as it sounds, you just don't really WANT to right now!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options

The suggestion I would offer is one you seem aware of ~ the value of *planning*, so that you're not ending up just eating whatever is around. Go do a good grocery shopping and fill your fridge with handy, tasty, healthy foods so that you can easily prep meals.

Good luck! It's great you're back and wanting help ~ that's the first step :).
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I know I go through times when I just want to eat whatever looks good around me. So for me I have switched out some of my foods for lower calorie options of the same thing or similar things but from different brands, or low fat versions from the same brand.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Last summer I started eating Primal based on Markk Sissons book. It worked very well. I just have to stock my cupboards with these foods and suffer through the processed carb withdrawal for 2 weeks.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Last summer I started eating Primal based on Markk Sissons book. It worked very well. I just have to stock my cupboards with these foods and suffer through the processed carb withdrawal for 2 weeks.

I'm not Paleo bashing at all, but maybe the problem is that cutting out carbs so much isn't something that you can stick to long term?
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    If you read that book you might have a different opinion. Habits are built over long periods of time and so undoing habit is just as bad.

All I know is I felt better than I ever had before. Then depression over some things at home brought me right back to that place where my sugar addiction gets the best of me.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    If you read that book you might have a different opinion. Habits are built over long periods of time and so undoing habit is just as bad.

All I know is I felt better than I ever had before. Then depression over some things at home brought me right back to that place where my sugar addiction gets the best of me.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to bash any way of eating, just trying to help. Sorry.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your restarting of primal. I hope you'll find it sustainable.
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options

I'm not Paleo bashing at all, but maybe the problem is that cutting out carbs so much isn't something that you can stick to long term?
    I agree with this. if you start cutting food groups out of your daily intake, it becomes a diet. This isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle change. You can't live the rest of your life without any carbs. Just doesn't make sense. :huh:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've been a member at MFP for awhile (and a couple of other fitness sites before that), and also went through the stopping and starting of staying focused and on track. Life happens, we get lazy, we get busy, whatever. It happens.

Yesterday I logged my 645th consecutive day on MFP. I finally got to the point about 650 days ago, that I was done with the stopping and starting, with the frustration of regaining weight that I'd lost, of the incredibly sore muscles from starting from scratch, and trying to clean up my eating habits yet again. It was a new mind set for me - this was it, I was going to stick with it this time, and roll with the punches that life threw at me.

I started with logging all my food, good or bad, under or over, I tracked it all. Not every day was a home run, but I've always found that seeing the actual numbers of the calories, proteins, fats, carbs, sodium, etc, and where I did well, and where I could have done better, was a big help. I set short term goals and planned out my exercise, what I was going to do on what day, and made it reasonable - no more than an hour.

I stuck with this through illness, a miscarriage, the holidays, vacations, crazy schedules, and so on. The habits were being formed, and I was making progress - always a good motivator! Another thing that helped me was changing my calorie goal - I switched to the TDEE method using the info in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet I had more knowledge of my calorie limits, the high and low end, and aimed to hit in between BMR and TDEE. This gave me more freedom with foods, especially during the holidays, and busy schedules with unplanned dinners out or whatever.

And I kept making progress, losing the fat, buying new jeans, and have now pretty much changed my lifestyle for the better - there is no stopping, this is life! I still exercise 5-6 days a week, about an hour or so each session. I run three days, and do strength at home with my dumbbells the other three. I always take at least one rest day, and have found over the past year that a full rest WEEK every so often does me good (I still log food though, of course! :bigsmile: ).

If you want it, resolve to go get it and stay with it. Find what works for you. Read topics of those who've been successful, who have the body you're aiming for, read their stories, diaries, see what they do, and adapt some of it to your life. That has been the key for me - making it a lifestyle change, not a diet, nothing temporary - a way to live that keeps me healthy and fit, but still enjoying the goodies in life!

My dairy is open (and I was on vacation last week - burgers galore! LOL), feel free to have a look. You can do this! Set your mind to it and GO!
  • jsukhan
    jsukhan Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Your one of the strongest people I know. You just have to find the motivation and drive to get back to where you were last summer.
    You know my routine, every weekend I cook lunch for the week. Yeah it gets repetitive but at least your have one less thing to plan everyday. And yes you have to shop more often when buying fresh food. But you will feel better for it.
    Only you can control what you eat.