How to start running?

Options
Hi. So I am trying to find an exercise I can do without being at a gym. I thought about maybe running? I've not a runner, always been a tortoise over the hare win the race type of girl. And every attempt to run or a rapid jog, I can never pace my breathing and I end up giving up to catch my breathe. I'm 246lbs, but I've never been the type to not try cuz of my weight, but i want to know what is the best way to learn how to run, in terms of speed and minutes and how to progressively get better.
If anyone knows a great way to start, let me know.

Replies

• hot2def
    hot2def Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Google the Couch to 5K program. There are even itunes mixes for the C25K that will tell you when to start running and when to walk.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Look up Couch 2 5K. Great beginner program and they have an app on your phone that will talk to you during the run/walk.
  • amberpic
    amberpic Posts: 20
    Options
    There's a program called Couch to 5K that's great for this (there is a group here on MFP). I understand that there are apps and podcasts that walk you through it, or if you're app-less the website is:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • juliannorton1000
    juliannorton1000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Walk a lot - an hour a day for about 5 days out of the week.

Use the Elliptical - At your current weight, its a good method to avoid injury/strain to your joints and back. This can also increase your heart's strength if you target specific goals (ex. set your target heart rate to 150~)

I'd suggest biking as well, but if you don't have a gym, biking doesn't do to much for you if you live in the city. Bike Machines allow you to gear at difficult levels consistently.

Other than that, you're going to be out of breath continuously until your body starts become adept to working out. You wont necessarily need to lose a lot of weight before you start feeling the benefits, but it is a slow process. Also, jogging is more about how you move your body rather than how fast you move it, at your weight. Simply jogging faster than what you would briskly walk at is going to benefit your body and heart. Stamina comes over-time.
  • mlalaz989
    mlalaz989 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am actually in week 6 of 9 of c25k. I highly recommend it, you can repeat weeks, it's not a race, and that's what I think I like most about it. It requires 3 runs a week for 9 weeks. Each week the amount you run gets a little longer. I could barely run a minute before I started it and now I can run for 22 minutes. You don't have to move on to another week if you're not ready. I think it's a good place to start. I never thought I would like running. Now I find it therapeutic in a sense. And every week I know I'm getting closer to my goal of 5k.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've not tried the C25K programs but I have gone form barely being able to run around the block to finishing my 5th half-marathon (running continuously) a little over a week ago. I'm not fast but I get across the finish line.

The way I started was just walking. then I added 1 min of slow "running" (more like a shuffle in reality) wit a 9min walk, the 2 minutes running with an 8 minute walk etc etc until I could run 10 minutes continuously with 1 minute walk breaks in between and, gradually, built on that.

Good footwear is essential - go to a running specialty shop and get fitted with the appropriate type of shoe.

Slow down. It's a perfectly natural tendency to try and run full tilt - that's how our ancestors escaped predators. In this context your goal is to build endurance first and worry about speed later. If you find yourself getting out of breath try to breath in counting 4 steps and out over 4 steps - it takes practice. If you're still having problems with pace try to find a more experienced running buddy (yes, experienced runners generally love to help new runners ease into the sport) or join a running group (many running stores will offered organized runs (for runners at every level) often free of charge.

Be consistent - get out (or on your treadmill) 3 or 4 times per week. Be patient - don;t try to progress too quickly; most running injuries are a result of trying to do too much, too soon, too fast.

and.....remember to have fun!
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    Lots of good articles out there about this, google away and you'll find out a lot about training programs and how to get started for heavier people, most are good sources.

An important thing is learning proper running form. Impact forces can be up to 2.0-2.5x your body weight when you run, especially if you are running slower (which you should be to start, and by start I mean several, several months) because the impact is increased when you have more vertical movement then horizontal movement like you would when sprinting. Thats a lot of stress on your joints and muscles when you think about it, good form will help keep that number lower.

So read up, try not to form bad habits, look for a beginning runners course, a C25K group in your area, etc, because starting the wrong way can rob yourself of potentially a lifetime of fun and enjoyment from running.

Also, if you like the experience, think you want to stick with it, go spend money on a pair of life changing running shoes that make your feet feel like they are making out with the pavement at a high school dance.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I started out just walking on a treadmill (winter time and not walking in cold). Then after a couple of months I found couch 2 5K and I completed that on a treadmill. Took it outside after that and ran/walked a 5K. Still working at it. My breathing gets me the most but they have also just told me that I have exercise induced asthma. So now I have an inhaler that I use just before running.
  • IliaShade
    IliaShade Posts: 20
    Options
    As all the others I started C25K too.. with the app on my phone. I just started, never run before in my life, in fact I'm a dancer so my muscles are developed all wrong for running.. however.. this works for me. My biggest problem right now is the pain in my shins that I get from running.. but the second tiem was already less than the first. But even without a program the thing for running is the same..

Start walking, then add in intervals of like half a minute or one minute running depending on what you can do. Extend the running and decrease the walking as you go. I try three times a week 20-30 minutes and it really does feel great!
  • Broadside23
    Options
    Do yourself a favour - get some proper shoes. This from someone who couldn't run 100 yards three years ago and doing 10K regularly nowadays.
    All the best.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I love all the programs, but I just went outside and ran. I stopped when I couldn't breathe and then went back out the next day to try again. I just kept that up.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This is the program I used: http://c25kfree.com

It was great for getting me started as someone who had never been a runner or any kind of athlete before. It helped me to build up my endurance. If I struggled with a day or a week, I'd repeat as necessary. However, it tracks the time you run, not the distance. Once I built up enough endurance to run for 20 minutes at a time, I stopped using it and worried about distance. Distance comes first, speed comes later. Running definitely helped me to lose weight, and I feel amazing afterward.

Some tips:
    -Get professionally fitted for shoes and inserts at a place that will not only check the weight distribution on your feet, but also will track your gait to determine if you pronate or run funky or whatever. This will help prevent injury.
    -Get reflective tape or bands for running outside.
    -Run facing oncoming traffic. You can see them coming, even when they can't see you because they're too busy talking or texting on the phone. Even on the sidewalks, do this.
    -Stretch. Before and after. And well. Or suffer the next two days (or more). Shoulders, sides, back, quads, hammies, hips, neck. Don't forget to stretch the bottoms of your feet and your calves and shins. This will help prevent shin splints AND plantar fasciitis, which could take you out for weeks. Roll your feet on a tennis ball or frozen water bottle after every run. Soak them in an epsom salt bath.
    -Hydrate well the night before and during the day before your run, then afterward.
    -Starting out, distance is more important than speed. I'll repeat: Distance is more important than speed. Once you get the endurance, you can increase your speed. You may have to jog so slow you think you could walk faster, just to complete the workout. Just do it.
    -It never gets easier: YOU GET BETTER at it! Make it fun. Get a great play list.
    -The hardest part is that first step out the door.
    -Smile; you never know who you're inspiring :wink: And it hurts/sucks less if you're smiling.

If you're on Facebook, there's a great motivational page called Favorite Run. There are novices and experts and everything in between giving advice and feedback. And they post lots of motivational memes too.
  • alisonsouth
    alisonsouth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started at 240lbs,and asked exactly the same question! I couldnt run 30 seconds without my heart beating out of my chest,gasping for breath etc...But i joined the gym and did walking,cross trainer,rowing etc everything to get my fitness up,and didnt even attempt running until i was 10lbs down 5 weeks later. It is now alot easier as i can control my breathing,and i can run for about 7 minutes so far (progress is progress!),so id advise getting your general fitness up maybe by walking slightly faster than you normally would,just enough to get your heart rate up,and do that for a week or so,and up it every few days or something. Thats what worked for me anyway :) add me if you want someone in the same boat to talk to.good luck :) p.s i just started 30 day shred,which you do in your living room,is really great for beginners,as you dont do any one exercise for more than 30 seconds,and its only a 20 minute work out.oh,and its all free on youtube if you dont want to buy the dvd :) ..give it a shot.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend the Couch to 5k program. It's a great program to get started in running.

I started it a little over a year ago at about 270 pounds, never having run before in my life. I'm now about 190 and can complete a 5k in under 23 minutes.

I had never been a runner and didn't think I would like it, but I forced myself to do it anyway. I now really enjoy it and run more than 5k 4-5 times per week. I actually set a goal of running 100 miles last month and made it!

You can do it!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    A little heads up on your endeavor....whatever plan you use to get yourself started. Running causes you to breathe hard, and at times feel breathless. It can cause your feet to be sore as well as your muscles to ache. That "runner's high" people seem so adamant that they must achieve. . .it's real, but in my case it only comes after an all out, feel like I"m going to puke, effort. You don't feel like you're floating on a cloud as you're running. Your heart pounds....legs may ache....nose runs....sweat stings your eyes...all uncomfortable things.

But, when you fall in love with running...as soon as you slip off your running shoes, you start thinking about the next time you're scheduled to lace up again.

Running is hard....but so is any worthwhile endeavor. Push through it. . .mentally. You CAN do this!!!
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend the Couch to 5k program. It's a great program to get started in running.

I started it a little over a year ago at about 270 pounds, never having run before in my life. I'm now about 190 and can complete a 5k in under 23 minutes.

I had never been a runner and didn't think I would like it, but I forced myself to do it anyway. I now really enjoy it and run more than 5k 4-5 times per week. I actually set a goal of running 100 miles last month and made it!

You can do it!

IrJeff- Dude, you are very impressive. Congrats!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 256 pounds, not very fit and I'm just starting too. I downloaded the C25K app on my phone and I'm still trying to tackle day one! I am improving, but I can't do all 8 cycles of walk 90 seconds, run 1 minute... That's ok, I just keep trying.

Also I didn't want to injure myself so I went to www.goodformrunning.com for some tips on form and foot strike. It takes some concentration to remember to keep good posture and try to keep your foot from making a heelstrike if that is how you naturally run, but I do believe it is less damaging on my joints to use the form recommended on this site. (it's similar to chi running)

Also, this may not apply to you but at 41 years old and having lost over a hundred pounds already, this definitely applies to me, I had to figure out a way to compress everything that needs to be compressed to prevent it from jiggling all over the place. When you're heavy and have a lot of loose fat like I do, especially in the lower belly area.. you need to keep everything in place. Tight clothes are your friend.. throw something loose over it if you must, but seriously a nice tight foundation feels soooo much better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Find an acceptable training program (tons of C25K and equiv out there) and then put one foot in front of the other...

ready-lets-go.jpg
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Good luck.

As others have said, C25k is awesome and its free. It worked like a charm for me.

Someone else pointed out getting good shoes. Get some minimalist style shoes. I love my Brooks Pure shoes. I had lots of injuries when I started out. I have not been injured since I switched to them.

Also, read up on Chi Running. It helps if you are new to running.

The most important thing is to remember to pace yourself. You should be able to talk when you are running. If you can't talk you are going too fast and need to slow down. Speed comes with time.

Make sure you up your protein intake for the C25K program a bit. Your body will need to build muscles.

Lastly, good luck!