Incorporating weight training

Options
About 7 weeks ago or so, I FINALLY started gettins some running in, which is something that I NEVER did when I was on weight watchers, so that in itself is a great feat for me, let alone to be doing it for 7 weeks. For some odd reason, weighs intimidate me. NO idea why, they just do. I don't know if I'm just nervous because others in the gym or at my weight room at work have been doing for so much longer than me that I just feel intimidated. I guess I am just looking for that little 'nudge' or some encouragement to get my *kitten* into the gym to start getting SOME sort of lifting started....thanks all! Everyone at this site has been super supportive so any help would be appreciated!! BTW, I'm 43 if that makes any sort of difference.

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It can be intimidating, BUT you already know that there are tons of benefits. My advice, find a workout partner for the weights, preferably someone who is experienced that can help you with form, spotting and a good program and get in there! If you don't know anyone, see if you can get a couple sessions (or more) with a KNOWLEDGEABLE PT! You got this ;)
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • jramaral
    jramaral Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Getting a workout partner would be great.
    As a woman I was also nervous about training with weights at first. Thankfully I had my brother in law help me get started. Now I am a strong female entering the weight room and I'm a regular. If I need a spotter I can usually detect a familiar gym rat to help me out.

You could always ask the staff at the gym for some pointers or get a few personal training sessions in just so you know how and what you're doing.

Also check out bodybuilding.com They have videos explaining the exercises and form.