This isn't working

Options
Ughhh. I have been doing bad for weeks now. My pants are tight again. Im trying to figure out what my problem is. I want the food that I cant eat(french fries, chicken fingers,ect.) that all im doing is obsessing over food! I just dont knowwwwwww.
here is something Im going to try and I know everyone is probably going to disagree but Im just going to see how it goes.

I'm not going to log in the calories for the fruits and veggies I eat. I'll put them in my notes-but Im not going to deduct them from my calories. When i see my calories going close to the red or even in the red..my mentality is well ef it. the day is ruined so Ill start fresh tomorrow. So i figure if i stop logging in the fruits and veggies I wont go so close to the red and feel like I cant eat anymore.

Replies

• jrh5249
    jrh5249 Posts: 28
    Options
    I tend not to log the little things, like if the boss left peanuts out for use to eat and i have 10 or so, i dont log that. However when i go to work out i push myself a little harder to make up for the uncounted calories. What does your work out routine look like?
  • bbombard
    bbombard Posts: 17
    Options
    I hear ya..... Are you exercising too? I ask because I was the same way but have used exercise to refill my calorie balance so I dont get off track. Also, it is OK to have french fries and chicken fingers, just exercise a little more that day and dont have them everyday ;-)
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    sometimes our bodies crave things because we are depriving them of some nutrients...for instance, when I'm craving peanut butter like there's no tomorrow, I know I need protein and carbs. If you are craving fried chicken, maybe your body needs protein and the only way you got it before this lifestyle change was via fried chicken. So you could try having grilled chicken. just a thought.
  • LadyNay191
    Options
    I think it helps to log every little thing! Every sip, every nibble. Everything that goes into your body has calories and those little things add up quickly. I've tracked every little thing, even the bad things and exercised five or six days a week and I've lost a pound a week for the last 18 weeks. Even on bad days, I log everything and make sure I work it off that day or work extra hard the next day. You can get back on track, I know it!
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Try to make things that you are tempted to have but in a healthy way... I make my own chicken fingers with egg whites and whole wheat bread crumbs.. soo good! If you are enjoying the foods you eat you might not feel as tempted.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    sometimes our bodies crave things because we are depriving them of some nutrients...for instance, when I'm craving peanut butter like there's no tomorrow, I know I need protein and carbs. If you are craving fried chicken, maybe your body needs protein and the only way you got it before this lifestyle change was via fried chicken. So you could try having grilled chicken. just a thought.

Ditto!

I was having a mad craving for chocolate milk and ice cream sundaes for daaays...guess what... I wasn't having enough fat in my diet. I had a nice big steak and that craving went away. How did I know it was fat? Because I know my body. I need fatty proteins to do well and I hadn't been getting enough of that. (And by fatty proteins I don't mean fast food!)

Listen to your body. You don't need those things you are saying you are craving. There's a lot of getting back in touch with ourselves that has to happen before you can really be successful at losing weight and leading a healthful life. If not logging those things helps you, then fine. But I'm betting it's something else that's going on with you. Are you not eating enough earlier so you are ravenous when you get home from work? Obviously the way you have been going about things wasn't working, so props to you for deciding to try something different! Be proud that you are sticking to figuring yourself out.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Try to make things that you are tempted to have but in a healthy way... I make my own chicken fingers with egg whites and whole wheat bread crumbs.. soo good! If you are enjoying the foods you eat you might not feel as tempted.

This reminds me! delish.com has some great alternative recipes like that. Like these awesome pork tenderloin fingers that you bake. The breading is crushed almonds and ww breadcrumbs. AMAZING!
  • tbrewer29
    Options
    I've experienced similar issues i.e. obsessing over food I can't have... I end up overeating them when I finally do eat them. So, how I've tried to work through it, is to eat a little of it. Sometimes, if I eat a little (slowly) it satisfies my cravings. Also it has to be something I reaaaaallly want. I mean, I'm dreaming about it and thinking about it all day. If it's one of those, I'll get it. I know that for me, the thought that I can't have something makes me want it more. So I give myself permission to have a little of it.

My suggestion is to not get caught up in what you CAN'T have. You can have anything. Just make sure you count it in your calories. To me, nothing is off limits, you just have to make the right choices for you. I know I've swapped my lunch and ate a piece of chocolate cake instead - that is what I wanted. (and it was SOOO good!) I counted it in my calories and just ate better the rest of the day so I wouldn't be hungry and start going crazy. This is not an every day occurrence but sometimes, I want what I want and I don't want to feel bad about it. You can also add a more exercise to offset some of those calories. It's all about balance.

Give yourself a break... You won't be perfect every day.

Good luck!
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other that said it is important to log everything... if you don't you won't get an accurate picture of where your calories are going... and those unaccounted for calories can add up pretty quickly -- even if they are "healthy" calories.

Chicken tenders can be done as noted - baked, dip in egg whites and breadcrumbs. I like to add a little seasoning for some kick... like chile powder. You can also make or buy sweet potato fries and bake them.. then broil the last couple of minutes to crisp them up.
  • irchrismm
    irchrismm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Pure Protein bars..pretty cheap from Wal-Mart. It is 200 calories, but it is 20g of protein. It also has a hunger supressor, that helps. I eat 2 a day. So I eat a total of 5 small meals a day, so it feels like I'm eating all the time. Also, if you are not so worried about carbs, get you some bags of Popcorn. Drink the WATER!. Lots and lots. Do a daily exercise routine. Even if it is walking for 20 minutes. Keep your body thinking it needs fuel. Your metabolism will fire up. There are of course other ways to achieve the same goals. I just found this to work for a lot of people. I normally have less than 100g of carbs per day and nearly 200g of protein by the time it's all said and done. Stay focused. Some people offset the calories by working out for more hours. Find what works for you.
  • maleamae
    Options
    try 800 calories a day be very stict and exercize my mom did that and lost 10pounds in one week but she didnt even exercize try that : )
  • amtrust
    amtrust Posts: 178
    Options
    I hear ya. I CRAVE food. I have days I just don't document, but I try to keep in mind...it this food really worth it?
    I've been stagnant with weight for a few months. I keep gaining and losing the same two. I really want to feel comfortable in my pants again, too....I refuse to purchase more! =)

You/We can do it. We'll get there. I'm a stress eater, too, and want to just say, "screw it...I'm eating what I want." But, then I regret it later (like eating an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's....yikes!)

So, a new day, a new start.......or a new moment, a new start.

Deep breaths....
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Well I was working out on a reg basis but the last couple of weeks ive only gone once a week:blushing:
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    WIll Power
    Exercise
    If you exercise you can still eat the guilty pleasures - you just have to make room for it.
    Don't deprive yourself of the things you love.
    But you also have to use your will power to stop putting all the crap food in your mouth too!
    You have to have balance.
    Good luck to you.
    Steph:flowerforyou:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the wet blanket here but I've read a lot of your posts and you don't seem ready to make the lifestyle change (and I don't mean that in a negative way, I have been where you are). Until you decide that your health is more important than the chicken nuggets and french fries you will not be successful. A lot of people have the vicious cycle of doing well with their eating all week, then it all goes to hell over the weekend and we say "Starting on Monday..." etc..

You need to feel it in yourself to control your urges to binge on junk food, not obsess over it all of the time, and only then will you will successful. The "Aha Moment" as I like to call it. Until you flip the switch, it will be hard to do it any other way.
  • mayclai
    mayclai Posts: 12
    Options
    Sounds like it's more of a mental thing right now for you. My advice is that you should start eating the things you crave and just limit how much you eat (e.g. just one chicken finger). Make sure you record all of the calories (even veggies and fruits) and you will start to see that you can have anything you want in moderation. It's truly a balancing act. If you want something, you have to sacrafice somewhere else. If you deprive yourself of something, it just makes you want it more. So give into your craving every now and then.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

Ditto!

I was having a mad craving for chocolate milk and ice cream sundaes for daaays...guess what... I wasn't having enough fat in my diet. I had a nice big steak and that craving went away. How did I know it was fat? Because I know my body. I need fatty proteins to do well and I hadn't been getting enough of that. (And by fatty proteins I don't mean fast food!)

Listen to your body. You don't need those things you are saying you are craving. There's a lot of getting back in touch with ourselves that has to happen before you can really be successful at losing weight and leading a healthful life. If not logging those things helps you, then fine. But I'm betting it's something else that's going on with you. Are you not eating enough earlier so you are ravenous when you get home from work? Obviously the way you have been going about things wasn't working, so props to you for deciding to try something different! Be proud that you are sticking to figuring yourself out.

Great post and she is soooo correct!!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the wet blanket here but I've read a lot of your posts and you don't seem ready to make the lifestyle change (and I don't mean that in a negative way, I have been where you are). Until you decide that your health is more important than the chicken nuggets and french fries you will not be successful. A lot of people have the vicious cycle of doing well with their eating all week, then it all goes to hell over the weekend and we say "Starting on Monday..." etc..

You need to feel it in yourself to control your urges to binge on junk food, not obsess over it all of the time, and only then will you will successful. The "Aha Moment" as I like to call it. Until you flip the switch, it will be hard to do it any other way.

Another great post and it is straight forward and not sugar coated.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    try 800 calories a day be very stict and exercize my mom did that and lost 10pounds in one week but she didnt even exercize try that : )

800 calories per day is unhealthy! Please don't do that!! :grumble:
  • mayclai
    mayclai Posts: 12
    Options

800 calories per day is unhealthy! Please don't do that!! :grumble:

I agree, 800 calories per day will put your body into starvation mode and put all of your calories into storage. You will not lose weight this way.