10k ready?

Options
I started running a year ago and have signed up for an organized run every month with my best friend since last August (usually 5ks). The last two events were 4mile runs. I usually run about 4 days a week ranging from 3-5 miles each. In the past two months due to graduation/finals/feeling blue in general, I've slacked off some. My runs are going down to about 1-2 times a week (same mileage though).

I'm trying to re-motivate myself and think signing up for a 10k in July might be just the thing. The 4 mile runs I finished in about 45 minutes and my 5k times average about 31-32 minutes. Do you think aiming for a 10k in one month is too ambitious? To be clear, I mean running a 10k WITHOUT a walk break.

Replies

• closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    not at all... you have a month.. If you can run 5 now you can run 6 tomorrow.. You will be fine.. Sign up, continue running and have a great race!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I agree, that seems like a reasonable goal. Go for it. There are some good 10K training plans out there that should help you out, although they are typically longer than a month so you might need to modify them a bit. Here's an article with some good general advice:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/10-Steps-to-a-Successful-10K.htm
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Not at all - I ran my first 5k, 10k and 15k all in my first year - which was last year! Good luck!