Sugar - What's up with that?!

Options
One of my greatest aggravations is that, no matter what, I end up going WAY over on my daily sugar intake. I've noticed that a large amount of the sugar in my diet, besides the obvious culprits, comes from fruits. Is there some sort of differentiation between "good" and "bad" sugar, or should I just lay off of the "obvious culprits" AND fruits as a whole? I would love suggestions, as I'm sure this can't possibly be good in the long run.

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    There are THOUSANDS of threads already here on sugar if searched using the search feature.

Pay attention to added/refined sugars. Ignore fruit/natural sugars provided you don't have a medical reason to keep your sugars in check.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an intolerance and/or medical reason to monitor your sugar intake, ignore it and don't worry about it.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Refined carbs are as bad as refined sugars. Sugars from fruits are ok, as are carbs from whole foods. So tracking "sugars" is useless.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Set it to a value you like at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom

It's the same stuff in fruits and packets but you can have whatever target you like.
  • danielleleigh1991
    danielleleigh1991 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    From what I have read else where, the difference between fruit sugar and table sugar is the way they are metabolized. Fruit sugar is not so bad and it usually comes with great vitamins and fiber....whereas sodas are basically empty calories that jack up your insulin levels and give you no nutrients. :)
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This will get beat to the ground ffs

If your eating at a deficit and don't have any underlying medical conditions SUGAR IS NOT BAD FOR YOU. Stop tracking it as it's a waste of time. If something you like has a lot of this evil substance then just make it fit in your calorie and macro goal.

That being said I consume about 50-100 grams of refined sugar nighly before bed and it hasn't hindered my goals at all, only has just made them more reachable.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

If your eating at a deficit and don't have any underlying medical conditions SUGAR IS NOT BAD FOR YOU. Stop tracking it as it's a waste of time. If something you like has a lot of this evil substance then just make it fit in your calorie and macro goal.

That being said I consume about 50-100 grams of refined sugar nighly before bed and it hasn't hindered my goals at all, only has just made them more reachable.

Strong username to post content ratio.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    At risk of inviting the anti-sugar crusaders to attack, I don't bother tracking my sugar intake. I do not binge on sweets but when I want a cookie, I eat a damn cookie and when I want a bowl of ice cream I make sure it has chocolate syrup and whipped cream on top.

And let me suggest pouring a cold (yes in this case and only in this case) Guinness and dropping in a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. It's particularly tasty to me on Father's Day and my Birthday.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar recommendation = American Heart Association's recommendation for ADDED/REFINED sugar.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

I love this. I have lost all my weight not tracking sugar.