How much does your weight fluctuate in a day?

Options
I am very active, and my weight can fluctuate up to 8-9 pounds in one day! Yesterday I woke up at 162, and ended the day at 169. I guess I should stick to only weighing in the morning, but I can't help to get a little discouraged. I'm lifting and trying to lose fat without losing muscle.

How much does your weight fluctuate?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Generally 4 lbs from morning to night.
  • betsyr13
    betsyr13 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It can fluctuate by as much as 8 pounds from morning to night, depending on workouts, how much water I've been drinking, whether I had salty Thai food with a ton of coconut milk, etc. :-)
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Typically only about 4 lbs, unless I just lifted. Then closer to 7-8. Lifting = +3 to water weight over the next 18 hours...
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    A lot!! Especially after drinking a lot of water all day long. I agree that you should only weigh in the mornings. Just my opinion.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If I have not eaten jerky, kfc, or ham I fluctuate maybe 2lbs (unless I pound water right before weighing myself).

I have eaten the foods above then its around 5lbs. I freaked out at first thinking that I was getting fat on 1500 calories a day, but now I know its just water weight
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    3 to 5 lbs. Salt intake, water, et al all effect me.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    mine fluctuates about 2 to 4 lbs depending on the day. I read an interesting article, I can't remember where, that said something about if your weight fluctuates more than 2 lbs in a day, then you've eaten too many carbs. So I've been kinda watching my carb intake (not a lot but some) and I've noticed that it is the case for me. Like I said I can't remember where I saw the article, but its interesting. Who knows its its just coincidence or truth.
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm usually 2 pounds heavier before bed than when I wake up in the morning.
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Since I've altered my diet my weight only tends to fluctuate 1-2lbs between morning and night.
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm 2-3 lbs heavier by the end of the day.
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    mine fluctuates about 2 to 4 lbs depending on the day. I read an interesting article, I can't remember where, that said something about if your weight fluctuates more than 2 lbs in a day, then you've eaten too many carbs. So I've been kinda watching my carb intake (not a lot but some) and I've noticed that it is the case for me. Like I said I can't remember where I saw the article, but its interesting. Who knows its its just coincidence or truth.

That's quite interesting! I've lowered my carb intake quite significantly recently, so I guess I can attribute that to the fact that my weight fluctuates a lot less than it used to when I was going overboard with the carbs! :p
  • Summerxx13
    Summerxx13 Posts: 22
    Options
    5 pounds is the most I've ever had it fluctuate in one day
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    If you've eaten all of your meals and have had water or other beverages all day and you haven't had a bowel movement, the 'bulk' of the food hasn't left your system yet so obviously you would weigh more. Some of your liquid intake will pass but some will be retained as well. Put the scale away and stop worrying about it.
  • ddslowly
    ddslowly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    usually just a pound or two unless i've had a lot of salt (or beer). then 5 pounds isn't unheard of.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and fine that my weight fluctuates +/- 2 lbs. I weighed 176 yesterday morning, ate japanese food for lunch and this morning weighed 180. I'm sure that with drinking a lot of water and avoidiing salt today I'll be down to 178 (my average) by tomorrow
  • deanjou59
    deanjou59 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    5-7lbs....I think the most I have is 8lbs!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    2-4 lbs
  • calbadger
    calbadger Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm usually 7 pounds heavier each night.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    7 or so
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    Options
    As much a 6 pounds, but usually a few pounds through a day.