Looking at my new and improved grocery list... boring..

Options
2»

Replies

• Eabec
    Eabec Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My goal is to NOT shop the inner aisles (except for coffee!) - most all located in the interior of the store is processed.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I like Dannon 2x protein greek yogurt because I cannot tolerate regular greek yogurt, it is so bitter and thick, ugh!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I love fruit, so I always get excited stocking up on strawberries, oranges, apples, and whatever else I can get (peaches and watermelon in the right season, and every once in awhile a pineapple). Ah, I love fruit. So, that gets me stoked. But yeah, as for the rest, yawn. It's especially hard walking by the bakery and the cereal aisle, my two big weaknesses.

I would advise you though, to keep trying new vegetables. I thought I hated all vegetables except baby carrots. Turns out I just hate all raw vegetables, with the exception of baby carrots, cucumbers, and summer squash. I'm not a huge fan of roasted eggplant, but I've heard if you do it right, it's awesome (I've never done it right). Roasted butternut squash is beyond awesome, roasted turnips, zucchini, summer squash, red and green peppers, and brussel sprouts are all decent. I also like steamed broccoli, green beans, and snap peas (I actually also like snap peas and green beans raw). So, I actually do enjoy getting home and seeing all my fresh produce stacked up, especially when there's a lot of different colors.

But yeah, some days I miss the times where I came home with Doritos, pizza rolls, candy, and fruit snacks, frozen meals (which weren't that high in calories but still not ideal), and like, 4 boxes of different cereals.

I make it a point to pick out a new veggie each trip to the store, and my girls are required to pick one fruit and one veg each themselves as well.

Some... have been major fail, but some I have discovered are simply amazing. I will say I am clueless about spices and making any kind of sauces or anything, so a lot of it is very bland, but I am slowly trying to learn. <3

Go to Allrecipes.com and search for recipes using the veggies you're planning on buying for the week, then buy the herbs / spices in the recipe and cook it. I love cooking and experimenting and use this website to get ideas. The recipes are well written and easy to follow.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    To get used to the Greek yoghurt structure, mix in some regular in the beginning and then slowly increase the amount of Greek while decreasing the amount of regular... Worked for me!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why does nutrient dense, whole food have to be boring. There are about a gazillion cookbooks and recipes out there that have you cooking from scratch that aren't at all boring. None of my food is boring and I shop primarily the perimeter of my grocery store. If it's boring, you're doing it wrong and you need to broaden your horizons with some good cook books and/or online recipes. Also, don't be afraid to cook with a little olive oil, etc...so many people are just terrified of dietary fat and frankly don't get enough...fat = flavor.
  • suzeya
    suzeya Posts: 12
    Options
    it's definitely harder in the beginning. you need to stock up on spices to make food taste great instead of a boring ol' chicken breast and plain greek yogurt.

i eat my greek yogurt with blueberries and sliced almonds. if you need a little bit of a sweet treat, add a drizzle of honey.

i buy lemons like it's going out of style. lemons, olive oil, garlic, and spices mixed with veggies or protein adds a lot of oomph. i also like sea salt and black pepper.

for now i'd just focus on making one recipe a week... finding something u like to eat and sticking with it. as you get more experience, you can expand your recipes.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Buying things that do double- or triple-duty helps me feel less bored with my shopping. I get more excited about, say, a huge bag of spinach if I know it's going to be a sandwich topping, an amazing avocado/strawberry salad base, a delicious addition to lentil soup, and a colorful pasta addition. I get a kind of meh feeling looking at something and thinking, "Well, that's it, that thing is all it is."

Don't forget to change things up as the seasons progress. Just as you're getting sick of apples (which are amazing diced fine and added to tuna salads, baked with cinnamon, or slivered into slowcooker oats -- not just raw), peaches are in season! And just when you can't take another bite of grilled salmon, shellfish like clams and mussels are at their peak. This really helps stave off some shopping boredom.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Bump
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Why does nutrient dense, whole food have to be boring. There are about a gazillion cookbooks and recipes out there that have you cooking from scratch that aren't at all boring. None of my food is boring and I shop primarily the perimeter of my grocery store. If it's boring, you're doing it wrong and you need to broaden your horizons with some good cook books and/or online recipes. Also, don't be afraid to cook with a little olive oil, etc...so many people are just terrified of dietary fat and frankly don't get enough...fat = flavor.

thats what I am talking about ...