Is it Possible to Eat too much Healthy Food?

Options
I know it is possible, and eating too much healthy food can make you fat bc you're consuming more than you're burning. But in reality, is it possible to eat too much healthy food because it's so filling? Like I feel as though your body craves what it wants and if you give it that substance with a healthy food, won't you get full and just not want to eat/not get cravings anymore?

For instance, I think my body wanted protein. I ate a lot of greek yogurt - 2 cups and was satiated. I didn't want to eat anymore cause I was full.

I'm wondering because I've had kind of a binging problem, but it isn't as bad when I eat clean.

Replies

• Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is bad :wink:
  • lb628
    lb628 Posts: 75
    Options

I know, but I feel like you wouldn't eat too much because you get too full
  • nahiluoh
    nahiluoh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's tougher to overeat if you stick to whole foods. It's easier (for me, at least) to overeat more processed foods. I can only eat so much steak, chicken, fish, or veggies but I could eat pizza or candy bars until my insides begin to cry.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, even too much water is bad for you. You still have to balance things out with macros...just gauging by hunger isn't smart or safe for your body.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,931 Member
    Options
    Most people binge on carbs and ones with lots of refined sugar. If by eating clean, your not eating many sugary foods and getting lots of protein, it's probably the satiating effect that a higher protein diet has on quite a few people, my wife for example, and me. :smile:
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    You pretty much answered your own question. Trying eating 2000 calories of carrots, tomatoes, and cherries. You will find this to be a very difficult mission! Now try eating 2000 calories of big macs...not hard at all.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible! I could eat a jar of peanut butter every day without feeling full and it would certainly make me fat!
  • AbnormalYak
    AbnormalYak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual. I've had such a messed up relationship with food in the past that I could stuff myself well beyond the level at which I was physically uncomfortable. I've had such a messed up relationship with food that I would never feel satiated unless I was eating the unhealthy food I was used to, and "clean" food would never seem satisfying to me. I forgot what "satisfied" and "hungry" meant. I was completely turned off to my body's signals.

If you're not as messed up as that then you might be able to depend on your body's messages about what food it wants and when it has had enough. Someone else might have to log every mouthful because their intuition about food is really unreliable.

There's no single answer. It depends on the individual.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    LOL, of course. If you need any advice on how to get fat from overeating healthy homemade food, I'm happy to help.
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's tougher to overeat if you stick to whole foods. It's easier (for me, at least) to overeat more processed foods. I can only eat so much steak, chicken, fish, or veggies but I could eat pizza or candy bars until my insides begin to cry.

^^Agree!

Processed foods are made to go down easier. There are some foods you can pretty much swallow without much chewing. So it's easier to down a bunch of junk before your body catches up and tells you to slow down.

Any food you over eat can cause gains whether its Big Macs or salad. A person could lose weight by eating junk if they stick to their macros - might not last long or be the healthiest way but they'd see a loss.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some of us have unhealthy relationships with food and fullness. Give me a few tubs of hummus and some veggies and I'll show you what too much healthy food looks like.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    It depends on the food. From your example, it would be easy for someone to eat 1500 calories of yogurt per day...and at 160 calories per cup of plain full fat yogurt (not to mention any cals from fruit/sweetender, etc...)..its under 10 cups of yogurt. I could easily eat 10cups of yogurt a day if thats the only thing I ate. Now celery? Carrots? Might be a bit harder gecause they are low cal.

It would be more with lowfat yogurt, but I dont think its healthier simply gecause of all the extra stuff they add to it.
  • lb628
    lb628 Posts: 75
    Options
    Of course it's possible! I could eat a jar of peanut butter every day without feeling full and it would certainly make me fat!

I'm with you there. Peanut butter doesn't count....However I find it hard to believe you wouldn't be full.