Gained 4 pounds - is it muscle?

Options
I know the best way to measure if your weight is muscle or fat is to have your body fat percentage measured. Since I can't do that right now, I was wondering if this is a safe assumption. I had to have thyroid removed as a teen and am constantly having to watch my thyroid hormone levels because of it. Well, I hate to blame it on the thyroid, but I have been finding it difficult to lose weight over the last 6 months. Hopefully I can get my levels adjusted and get back to it. However, even though I've gained 4 pounds in 6 months, all of my indicators improved - blood pressure, cholesterol(good, trig and bad) and glucose. I went from 158 to 162 at 5'6.

I'm wondering if it is safe to assume that at least most of that weight gain is from muscle gain? I've been hitting the weights pretty hard in the last several months. I have been eating somewhat more than when I was losing, but I think trying to gain muscle accounts for the increased hunger. What do you guys think?

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    No, you did not gain 4 lbs of muscle in 6 months.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Some of it might be muscle, some of it is likely fuel storage that your body needs from lifting.

Four pounds is really a blip in the radar, though. You probably fluctuate more than that each day. I would say go by how clothes fit, but four pounds isn't likely to make a noticeable difference in that, either.
  • Marley2310
    Marley2310 Posts: 304
    Options
    do u lift ? if yes then u gained muscle
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    do u lift ? if yes then u gained muscle

Yes, I lift 3-4 times a week. My clothes fit about the same.