Women- What are your BodyFat and Muscle Mass goals?

Options
savemama
savemama Posts: 105 Member
I'm almost 2/3 of the way through my weight loss goals. So far, it's been mostly healthy eating with some toning/light cardio worked in.

Even with that I've lost 4% of my body fat and increased my muscle mass 3.5% (with a 30lb weight loss).

My plan is to hit my weight goal and then add heavy lifting... and maybe a trainer as a reward for my weight loss. :)

I'm having a heck of a time finding out what is a healthy/average or even ideal muscle % online.

So I'm curious- for women with fitness/lifting goals...what is YOUR BF% and MUSCLE MASS GOAL?

I don't plan to compete or do anything like that- just want to be toned and strong. (So if your goals are competition, will you be sure to include that so I can gauge if your goals ought to line up with mine?) Also, if you could include age? Because I keep reading that has an effect on the "right percent for you"

Replies

• tlark88
    tlark88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 24, 5' 5.5" and 175.6lbs. I don't have a goal muscle mass but my goal body fat is 21%. I picked it because its in the health (still having your period) range (20-25%) and I've read a few studies stating its the ideal body fat percentage for fertility.

I've lost about 4-5% body fat as well and I'm currently sitting at about 32.5% body fat. For working out I just do Jillian Michaels (any one of her videos) 3 days a week and cardio for about 30 minutes, 2 days a week. I hope that helps :D
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I don't have a muscle mass goal, just measurements goals with overall weight and activity to give me an estimated body fat.
    My goal measurements
    height: 5'8" cw: 141lbs
    38Bust (c38)
    24Waist (c26")
    36Hip (c37")
    Forearm 9" (that's current can be whatever, if it goes up though it will lower bf)
    Bicep 11" (that's current, but can go up or stay the same, that's flexed)
    Thigh 19" (c20.5")
    Calves 14.5 (that's current calves, I'd like them to get to 13.5 but if they stay the same ah well)

Goal weight with said measurements 128-132lbs
    Goal body fat with said goals: 16-18% BF
    Current body fat: Around 20%'

Work outs; Started with 30Day Shred, Went on to Biggest Loser, Belly Butt and thighs, and Jillian Micheals kick box with elliptical for 40 minutes. Upped work out to 60 minutes following month mixing those work outs with elliptical. I am now doing Insanity the sixty day program. Next is P90x, then hip hop abs.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    My goals as of right now (they are always changing the more I lose) are to lose another 10 pounds max and lose another 6% BF... Which would put me at 20%. I used a calculator online to determine what weight I would want to be to maintain my current muscle mass and just lose fat, this is all likely to change as pretty much every month I add on to or change my ultimate goal. I dont think I will ever stop working on myself though, thats why I have new goals all the time! :flowerforyou:

I dont know my starting BF, but the first time I tested it in march it was at 29.5% (5 pounds ago)

ETA: Also, I am 26 years old and have two little ones. My height is 5'4", waist is 30", hips are 37.5' and weight is currently 138 pounds.
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    Hi! I'm 24, 5' 5.5" and 175.6lbs. I don't have a goal muscle mass but my goal body fat is 21%. I picked it because its in the health (still having your period) range (20-25%) and I've read a few studies stating its the ideal body fat percentage for fertility.

I've lost about 4-5% body fat as well and I'm currently sitting at about 32.5% body fat. For working out I just do Jillian Michaels (any one of her videos) 3 days a week and cardio for about 30 minutes, 2 days a week. I hope that helps :D
    I have been 16% body fat, though it isn't in the normal range it is for ATHLETES, which I am. Also, we still get our period. :D
  • savemama
    Options

I'd love to hear the research about ideal body fat % for fertility.

I am losing weight (in part) to get pregnant so this is particularly applicable for me!
  • savemama
    Options

I have been 16% body fat, though it isn't in the normal range it is for ATHLETES, which I am. Also, we still get our period. :D

ETA- I just realized... PP are you maybe confusing BMI with body fat %?
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and about 155 and 20-21%, but my goal is 135-140 and 16-18%. I don't actually have muscle mass goals...just keep the muscle mass I have, get stronger, and lose the fat covering them lol.
  • SerenaFisher
    Options

I don't think she means anything bad about that. I think she's referring to the research about lower bodyfat% for women be correlated with annovulatory cycles.
    I know she probably meant it just as a personal thing, but I want to ensure all women that are going for a leaner appearence that it will not harm their cycle in any way shape or form. It isn't ideal to go lower than 18% for fertility.

As stated here. Spent some time searching and shape magazine recomended 21% plus. However, no website is entirely clear and it's hard to find much saying what body fat is healthy for conception.
    http://www.fertilityauthority.com/blogger/cindy-bailey/2010/12/21/you-need-body-fat-conception
    I have two children, and have always been pretty lean, I will say I was around 21% when I conceived both though.
  • SerenaFisher
    Options

Nope. My BMI is currently 21.4
    At my goal weight my BMI (lowest weight 128) would be 19.5

And the websites I posted clearly state they are centered around body fat percentage ^_^. Not sure what she meant, but yes I meant BF.
  • alison590
    alison590 Posts: 61
    Options
    I was tested today and am at 24% body fat. I hope to be at 20% which according to an online calculator is 109 pounds (I am currently 126) and I'm 5"3
  • savemama
    Options

Nope. My BMI is currently 21.4
    At my goal weight my BMI (lowest weight 128) would be 19.5

And the websites I posted clearly state they are centered around body fat percentage ^_^. Not sure what she meant, but yes I meant BF.

Lol. No, I meant the other PP.Sorry! I'm posting as I ref the kids. Distracted. ;)
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

I am losing weight (in part) to get pregnant so this is particularly applicable for me!

Skinny = natural birth control? Who knew?
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5, 148 lbs. I usually look and feel my best at about 16-18% body fat. My period is sketchy anyway, and I have all the kids I intend to, so that's where I'm trying to get. I've been fairly athletic my whole life, so I remember the body I had before I got sick and then pregnant and then sick again... :P I'm headed back to where I was happiest as fast as I can get there!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I am 5'4 and my goal body fat % was 20. I am already past that. I would like to be 18% and then go from there to see if I want to go lower.
  • InsolentMint
    Options
    Sorry, dumb question maybe, but how is muscle mass meassured?
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 2/3 of the way through my weight loss goals. So far, it's been mostly healthy eating with some toning/light cardio worked in.

Even with that I've lost 4% of my body fat and increased my muscle mass 3.5% (with a 30lb weight loss).

My plan is to hit my weight goal and then add heavy lifting... and maybe a trainer as a reward for my weight loss. :)

I'm having a heck of a time finding out what is a healthy/average or even ideal muscle % online.

So I'm curious- for women with fitness/lifting goals...what is YOUR BF% and MUSCLE MASS GOAL?

I don't plan to compete or do anything like that- just want to be toned and strong. (So if your goals are competition, will you be sure to include that so I can gauge if your goals ought to line up with mine?) Also, if you could include age? Because I keep reading that has an effect on the "right percent for you"

I have a goal based on my measurements/stats from before I got pregnant. I take into consideration my age and the fact that I have more muscle mass now but my goal body fat percentage is 18-20%. Lean body mass would be around 118-120+ pounds. At this point, I'm heavy lifting but since I'm eating at a deficit to lose fat, I'm not gaining much mass, only about one pound since I started lifting again, which is okay. I may need to re-evaluate later.. but that's okay with me! Btw, I'm 26.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Skinny = natural birth control? Who knew?
    I agree with the consensus. 16% - 18% is pretty ideal. I still don't have the abs I want at 16%, but I have sad deflated non-boobs below that.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I think I'm about 24% bf right now (measured at 24.7 in march).I think I'll probably be around 21% when I get to where I want to be composition-wise. It's really hard to guess though IMO.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I just want to look Jacked in a flexed picture, I guess u should think of something more specific.
  • CarolinaGrace77
    Options
    I did some body building a few years ago...
    I initially started wanting to be healthy and for me that meant ignoring the scale & BMI charts. I went 100% off BF% determined by 3 different sources, trainer, scale, & BF analyzer thingie.

I can say I was very, very happy at 20%. By then it was so easy for me to do what I needed to do, I went down to 14%. I was 14%, size 4 and still had not hit ANY of my "ideal" weight suggestions found online. Also, it did not interfere with my period at all.

Surgery happened and I'm starting all over again.

My goal will be 20% BF. I weigh myself, but lbs lost have nothing to do with where I want to be. I put 38lbs on my ticker, just to have something. I'll reach 20% way before those lbs are off.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!