Apples just make me feel more hungry

Options
Anybody else have this issue or am I crazy?

Any time I eat an apple it makes me even more hungry than before I ate it. I will literally have a gnawing pain in my stomach for about an hour afterward. Which really sucks, because I love apples. :( If I eat something else with them it'll help alleviate it a little bit, but not much.

Same thing with oatmeal, just makes me ravenous.

Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyy?

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Me too! I love apples, but they do NOT work as a "keep me full" snack.
  • Amypep
    Amypep Posts: 5
    Options
    Same goes for me with apples!
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Dude, this happens to be me all the time. Just like when I just eat 1 taco, I usually want 3 more.

But in all seriousness, I know the feeling you're talking about..it's like a hunger pain, and I always thought it was just the fiber, and the sugar all kind of lurching about in there. Don't know the real reason though, I never eat apples by themselves these days.
  • tuathanari
    tuathanari Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I'm not the only one, haha. So many people suggest eating an apple to feel full between meals, or just as a good filling snack, and I've always scratched my head at it.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Unless there peanut butter involved. And that also includes bananas. Bananas alone = more hunger faster.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I'm very hungry shortly after eating oatmeal too. I think the problem is you're eating straight carbs - try and mix some protein in there and you should feel fuller longer. Eat your apple with a piece of string cheese or some peanut butter. Add protein powder or nuts to your oatmeal.
  • Micheetah
    Micheetah Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    my husband was just telling me the same thing the other day. I LOVE honey crisp apples and he said he gets sooo hungry after eating an apple it defeats the point of eating at as a snack.... i had packed it in his lunch. wonder why that is?
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am the same way with apples and oatmeal! For this reason, I typically have my apple with a meal or later in the day. Sometimes I dip it in peanut butter. I rarely eat oatmeal.
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    yup! that's why I never eat apples!
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Just an apple does the same for me. But apple slices with peanut butter do the trick! Or for a lower calorie option, I dip apple slices in either Dannon nonfat vanilla yogurt or a fruit dip I make with fat free sour cream, a little bit of brown sugar, and vanilla.
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way with apples! I thought I was the only one!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Add some protien
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    its the natural sugar in it. eat a complex carbo with it next time. say a handful of raw nuts, some rice chips, etc.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Pair it with some protein! Apples dipped in (natural) peanut butter is one of my favorites!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I was laughed at and called weird when I said that "apples activate the hunger juices in me". Never been able to eat them because of that. My doctor wanted to send me to a counselor, said something was going on in my head. people make me sick!!.
  • tuathanari
    tuathanari Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh wow bonniecarbs, what a ridiculous reaction from your doctor! Some people.
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    have it with some protein!
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I also never eat apples for the same reason! Or sometimes if I have one on an empty stomach it makes my stomach hurt. I thought i was crazy!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Try eating the apple with a low-fat cheese stick or 6 almonds. I find this helps satisfy much longer than the apple alone.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I eat one as a "snack" if I know I'm gonna eat soon. For me it works for right before hubby gets home and I should really eat with him, but i'm starving to death now, but if i have something else I'llbe too full for dinner. That's a good time for one. For waiting more time to eat, I always combine it with something. Lots of options. I like apples, especially gala.

No you are not alone though. If I eat an apple and nothing else and time passes, yeah hunger city. Try eating it with flaky crust and cinnamon and sugar baked for a long time. Way hay hay more filling.