Eating clean, not enough calories. Help?

Options
I've been eating clean and my calorie goal is 1,290. I can barely make 1000 and I eat all day. I'm trying to have not too much of this, not too much of that... but I don't want my body to starve. I also don't want my grocery bill to skyrocket. I never thought I'd have this difficult a time eating MORE. If it's relevant I also do 40 minutes total of cardio and 30 day shred every day. I've read eating back exercise calories is important, so I try to do that, too. What's a good way to get calories that aren't going to fill me up too much and aren't processed with tons of extra chemical ingredients?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't know, my foods are processed and filled with delicious chemicals.

Try here,

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/133-clean-eating-group
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Throw in an avocado. Approximately 300 cals. Great for you.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Same here sister! Eating "clean" usually means a low fat content in foods, high in fiber (very filling), and probably just a larger volume of stuff you have to cram in there without drinking too many calories. I try to get in about 3000 calories a day and it's near impossible for me to do it. Force feedings are almost a must, and I can't wait to start cutting calories soon.

But, that's not a bad thing in your case. You're full, you're satisfied (aside from whatever cravings you may suffer), and I'd say you're in pretty good shape going forward. Just be careful not to fall off the wagon.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I disagree with aelunyu- eating clean doesn't mean low fat. Eat foods with more fat - avocado, cook in coconut oil, eat eggs, beans, nuts, nut butter. You are not trying hard enough. I know vegans who manage to eat 2,000 calories a day.

Look for local product shares you can participate in to save money, something like "bountiful baskets". Farmers markets are good also.

You can eat clean and not have to spend a lot of money. I actually spend way less eating clean.
  • hsilberman1
    hsilberman1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I disagree with aelunyu- eating clean doesn't mean low fat. Eat foods with more fat - avocado, cook in coconut oil, eat eggs, beans, nuts, nut butter. You are not trying hard enough. I know vegans who manage to eat 2,000 calories a day.

Look for local product shares you can participate in to save money, something like "bountiful baskets". Farmers markets are good also.

You can eat clean and not have to spend a lot of money. I actually spend way less eating clean.

Okay. I guess I still have a fear of "too much" that I need to shake. I do use a lot of healthy fats in my cooking... but probably not enough. Thank you!
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Same here, I figure if Im not hungry and recognize that fact, then Im doing right by myself. Eating just to eat is why I now need to lose weight. As long as you have the energy you need and feel good I wouldnt worry about the numbers.
  • hsilberman1
    Options
    Same here sister! Eating "clean" usually means a low fat content in foods, high in fiber (very filling), and probably just a larger volume of stuff you have to cram in there without drinking too many calories. I try to get in about 3000 calories a day and it's near impossible for me to do it. Force feedings are almost a must, and I can't wait to start cutting calories soon.

But, that's not a bad thing in your case. You're full, you're satisfied (aside from whatever cravings you may suffer), and I'd say you're in pretty good shape going forward. Just be careful not to fall off the wagon.

Thanks! I don't expect I'll fall off the wagon any time soon. I'm finding plenty of motivation around here :) You guys are all so great.
  • sallyracket
    sallyracket Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    peanut (or almond butter) helps me. Also adding a little olive oil to veggies.

Handful of nuts can also be quite a few cals. Good challenge to have!
  • hsilberman1
    Options
    Throw in an avocado. Approximately 300 cals. Great for you.

Yum! I love avocado. Great idea! I think I forgot they exist.
  • hsilberman1
    Options
    peanut (or almond butter) helps me. Also adding a little olive oil to veggies.

Handful of nuts can also be quite a few cals. Good challenge to have!

Almond butter is sooo good. I know what I'll be adding to my breakfast smoothies :)
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Nuts. Blown away by the amount of fat those tiny suckers pack.
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by clean, because I think it varies person to person, but I find that making meals at home from scratch helps a lot. Although my food is sometimes so filling, I have a hard time eating more but that's where snacks come in, like nuts, cheeses, etc.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options

Sorry! I agree, the whole term of eating clean is pretty loosely defined. She's right. if you really want to get to 1290, you can just literally down a teaspoon of flax or fish oil, or have a handful of nuts. But eating "clean" certainly doesn't mean high fat either...so a good balance should suit you quite well.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Ice cream
  • hsilberman1
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) Obviously I forgot the importance of fats in my diet and the awesome nuts and oils I have lying around. I think I'll be having a more balanced diet now without feeling too full. I appreciate all the responses!