I DON'T WANT TO!!!

Options
So, I need some encouragement. I need to get back with the program...I just really don't WANT TO! Anybody else out there that was at this stage? I was doing great, losing weight, getting fit! Then! I got two rather significant injuries that caused me to have to take a break from working out. It has been 5 weeks and I can now start slowly doing exercise...problem is...I DON'T WANT TO! I have gained about 5 lbs and of course lost muscle this last month. A bummer, but not something that has given me motivation yet. Any help? Or just encouragement?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to, you won't.

But just in case...

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth then go out and get what you’re worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that!"
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    Possible motivations:

Healthier foods = more energy, feeling happier, sleeping better, feeling more comfortable, living better, possibly more self-confidence

Exercise = stronger, more energy, sleeping better...

Healthier = more attractive (the fact that you've chosen to fight the good fight and make changes that are not easy and require personal growth and self-control will by default make you more attractive to yourself, and others)

If weight loss and these things don't make you want to, then I don't know what will. Maybe question why you feel apathetic about it.
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to exercise then don't. Start with healthier eating. Slowly cut out processed foods (as quickly as you can). Eat more servings of veggies and protein. Up your activity level. Instead of laying in bed to talk on the phone, pace your bedroom floor. Do small increments of exercise through the day. Instead of one 40-minute workout, maybe try doing 5-minutes or as little or much as you can handle. Try new things. Taebo/ Kickboxing is great. Circuit training is cool, but boring to me sometimes because it isn't fast paced. I like anything and all things dancing, specifically belly dancing/ barre workouts (it will give you killer, dancers legs) or just plain old dance parties in my living room while I'm vacuuming. Once you get more energy, up your workouts. Instead of doing 5-minutes, do 10, and slowly allow you're body to acclimate to working out.

If you're not willing to do at least something like that, then prepare to gain more than 5 pounds.
  • JeanmarieClara
    JeanmarieClara Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Really really appreciate that-sometimes you need a cold hard kick in the butt
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Do a 30 day challenge. Take it one day at a time. one challenge at a time. Say you want to walk around the block two times a day or something easy and add a little more each day or week.

GET ACCOUNTABILITY BUDDIES!!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Accountability partner, yes, I agree.

And I have been there. It sucks. Knowing in your head you should do something but lacking the motivation to follow through leads you to feel like crap, and you almost hate yourself, right? At least, that describes me when I have been in "that place".

If you can afford it, get a gym or club membership maybe, especially one with scheduled classes. That way you have to be there at a certain time to take advantage of the workout. That is, if you are cheap like me. b/c I HATE paying for something I am not getting, and sometimes knowing that I have to pay the club dues and haven't used the facility is what gets my rear out of bed and to workout class in the mornings. Just a suggestion.
  • JeanmarieClara
    JeanmarieClara Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Accountability partner, yes, I agree.

And I have been there. It sucks. Knowing in your head you should do something but lacking the motivation to follow through leads you to feel like crap, and you almost hate yourself, right? At least, that describes me when I have been in "that place".

If you can afford it, get a gym or club membership maybe, especially one with scheduled classes. That way you have to be there at a certain time to take advantage of the workout. That is, if you are cheap like me. b/c I HATE paying for something I am not getting, and sometimes knowing that I have to pay the club dues and haven't used the facility is what gets my rear out of bed and to workout class in the mornings. Just a suggestion.

Accountability Partner is a really good idea. And yes! I HATE my lack of motivation (have learned to love myself pretty darn well :), just hate certain actions!)