Just started juicing in NW Ohio

Options
I just posted a blog explaining my feelings towards juicing - why I started, what my challenges are, what my hopes are, etc. Please feel free to read it & comment with any helpful tips! :glasses:

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I tried juicing my pizza once. I had to buy a new blender so I quit.
  • GrendlStig
    GrendlStig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of juicing haters on MFP, watch out for trolls. I have a juicer and I love homemade kale, beet, ginger (etc...) juice. It's nice to use as a meal replacement once a day or a snack. Good luck with your journey!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Wait. Juicing "haters"? What the wut?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Those of us that don't want to eat through a straw until our teeth fall out and we're bed ridden in diapers. Highly unlikely to happen to those of us who generally move more and eat less.

Look OP, if it works for you then go with it. Just make sure that you're also eating food and getting enough fiber, protein and fat.
  • joe_madre
    joe_madre Posts: 693
    Options
    I'd stay away from the steroids. They're just no good for you.
  • gracieloo8
    gracieloo8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Juicing is a good way to get concentrated nutrients...BUT you lose out on alot of fiber, which aids in weight loss. Also, juicing usually corresponds with high calorie and sugar content. Another thing I noticed is that when I used to juice, it wouldn't fill me up the way a smoothie does (I believe this has to do with a psychological response to drinking your calories versus eating them).

I'm not trying to hate! I just have tried it and I think that green smoothies trump juicing.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options

Those of us that don't want to eat through a straw until our teeth fall out and we're bed ridden in diapers. Highly unlikely to happen to those of us who generally move more and eat less.

Look OP, if it works for you then go with it. Just make sure that you're also eating food and getting enough fiber, protein and fat.

Thank you. I didn't know what a juicing hater was. But your definition doesn't explain why that lady thought there are haters who are trolls? That just sounds like a difference in philosophy to me. Like some people won't drink milk, or don't eat sugar, or think they will die if they drink diet soda. I wouldn't consider them "haters" - just misinformed.

And a "troll" is entirely different, right? Aren't trolls sly and witty and sneaky in a funny kind of silly way? Not in a hating way.

I think she was uninformed about that too.

OP, good luck with your juicing. I am certainly not a juicing hater. In fact, I have done some juicing in my day. I agree with BeachIron that you still need to get whole foods, fiber and protein, but as a supplemental food it is fun and delicious. :flowerforyou:

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Bam. I just meant juicing didn't work for ME.
  • missmindy6
    missmindy6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you'd read my blog post you'd see that I'm on a doctor approved 60-day juice fast because my health is so bad the doc says the weight has to come of NOW. Once the 60 days is up I will ease back into eating solid foods in a more healthy manner. I believe the internet definition of a "troll" is anyone who disagrees with the focus of a group but joins just to post negative crap. I joined the group looking for tips & positive reinforcement, not people who don't understand the journey I'm on and think that THEIR path is the only right one for all.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    If you'd read my blog post you'd see that I'm on a doctor approved 60-day juice fast because my health is so bad the doc says the weight has to come of NOW. Once the 60 days is up I will ease back into eating solid foods in a more healthy manner. I believe the internet definition of a "troll" is anyone who disagrees with the focus of a group but joins just to post negative crap. I joined the group looking for tips & positive reinforcement, not people who don't understand the journey I'm on and think that THEIR path is the only right one for all.

Best of luck with your 2 month juice fast. If it was me, I'd find a new doctor.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

No. That's not a definition of a troll. Disagreeing and posting opinions on a public forum =/= trolling.

FYI- there are groups on MFP dedicated to juicing. You could try advertising your blog there if you don't want comments in regards to how juicing didn't work for people attempting to substitute meals with it rather than adding as part of meal.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Agreed. I'd seek a second opinion from a registered dietitian.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Wait...is juicing different in NW Ohio than in other parts of Ohio, like SW, SE, NE, WW, EE, SS, or NN Ohio?

Or california?

Here it's easy you go to juice stop or jamba juice and it's on.

tumblr_m9ltdkzsRy1qchgv5o1_500.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I mean pimpin' may not be easy, but juicing is snoop-dogg-gin-n-juice-o.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Agreed. I'd seek a second opinion from a registered dietitian.

When I felt I needed to lose weight fast and coerced, convinced, strangleheld my Dr to make them let me do the Dr approved diet that they prescribed to their overweight patients it was not a juice fast it was shakes shakes and nothing but shakes. Like chalk shakes. I got edged out of that anyways be people who were much larger and resented my being in there as my injury was not a result of my weight but vice versa. Good luck with your fast though. :flowerforyou:
  • runsandjumps
    runsandjumps Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I tried juicing last year and it didn't work for me. But I would be interested to learn new recipes.
    I think the main reason it didn't work out is because the person who advised me (long time juicer) recommended adding crystal light to cover the flavor of the veggies. I hated the artificial taste and gave up. I should have given it a few more tries before returning it. I love veggies but am not always the best at including them.
    Juicing is a perfect way to add kale and parsley fast.