Push up pain?

Options
When I do push ups (even the modified ones) I have a pain that feels like touching an electric fence or something that shoots down from my elbow to my pinky finger. It hurts so bad that I can't do a push up and I'm doing the 30DS and I have to do wall push ups (the pain is still there, but it's not as bad). If anybody knows anything that can help it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Replies

• gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would recommend is try changing hand positions to a hammer grip and see if it improves.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Is it from the pressure on your palm or from the bending of the wrist? If the latter, some hand stretches might help alleviate that. If it's your hand, you might want to consider getting it checked out. It could be any number of things in that case (bone spur, planar's wart, etc,) and it would be difficult to determine any more specifically.
  • nitole111
    nitole111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think it's from the bending of my elbow or wrist (since I do both at the same time I can't tell haha). But the pain is coming from my elbow...sooo. haha
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it might help to grab on to some handweights (ones that wont roll) while doing pushups
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    You might be pinching a nerve a bit. I have one in my neck and when I swing my head down too fast, my fingers tingle. Lol I'd just bring it up next time you see you Dr! :) It isn't anything to worry about. Modify the exercise or don't do it. :)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    You could be tweaking the ligaments in the joint or pinching a nerve (as previously suggested). I'd bring it up with your doctor at your next physical, but otherwise, I wouldn't be worried. If you can't do it without pain, don't do it. No sense in hurting yourself.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue with just my left arm. I can feel the ligaments (or something) actually sliding over the end of my elbow when doing push ups . I've always had this problem with just the one arm.

It's not pleasant *understatment*

The only thing that helps me is positioning my arm differently. The form isn't 'correct' but it alleviates the pain.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    This sounds EXACTLY like what I had going on for well over a month, except mine felt like it was starting in my shoulder blade. Eventually, it got so bad part of my hand would fall asleep, or I'd wake up in the middle of the night because of the electrical shock feeling. Turned out it wasn't my shoulder blade at all - it was a repetitive stress injury in my wrist and around my thumb, from knitting. (They can definitely be caused by a lot of things, and carpal tunnel can also cause the same type of feeling.)
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Could just be a tight pec minor...you have a bundle of nerves that runs down the front of your shoulder down to your fingers.

Does this exercise give you the same sensation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReigOk7Krzc
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You have Ulnar Nerve issues. Check out this link:
    http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00069
    You may want to have this looked into.
  • nitole111
    Options
    Okay, so maybe a pinched nerve. I've had one in my shoulder on the other arm before and that's what it feels like but I wasn't sure. :)
    Thank yall!
  • nitole111
    Options
    Could just be a tight pec minor...you have a bundle of nerves that runs down the front of your shoulder down to your fingers.

This made me feel ridiculous but no, it didn't hurt. :)
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    (BUMP) I have had similar experience too. Went away when I quit doing push-ups for a while. I am guessing a pinched nerve caught from a tight shoulder ligament muscle from the scaphoid region (shoulder blade.) Mentioned to my doctor but he didn't give me an answer.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    Options
    (BUMP) I have had similar experience too. Went away when I quit doing push-ups for a while. I am guessing a pinched nerve caught from a tight shoulder ligament muscle from the scaphoid region (shoulder blade.) Mentioned to my doctor but he didn't give me an answer.

scaphoid is a bone in your wrist. Scapula is the word you're looking for.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    Options

This made me feel ridiculous but no, it didn't hurt. :)

That's good, it still sounds like a mobility issue, either in your neck/trap or your shoulder.