How to start running?

Options
2»

Replies

• CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Came into this thread to say "Couch to 5K".

I see that's been covered, so I think you have some good advice :)
  • shannonahenderson
    Options
    glad you posted this...I want to be a runner too. MFPs gave some great advice. Going to check out C25K now...thanks everyone!
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Also a great companion to the C25k program is a program called Good Form Running. It is a great instructional course on how to run and be injury free. It is a simple set of steps to run better. Many people who have been successful runners for years will take the course, practice the techniques and are amazed by the results.

There are even clinics that are offered in some locations (usually shoe stores, sporting good stores, etc.) and they are usually free!

A good place to start with this program is goodformrunning.com
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    This is the program I used: http://c25kfree.com

It was great for getting me started as someone who had never been a runner or any kind of athlete before. It helped me to build up my endurance. If I struggled with a day or a week, I'd repeat as necessary. However, it tracks the time you run, not the distance. Once I built up enough endurance to run for 20 minutes at a time, I stopped using it and worried about distance. Distance comes first, speed comes later. Running definitely helped me to lose weight, and I feel amazing afterward.

Some tips:
    -Get professionally fitted for shoes and inserts at a place that will not only check the weight distribution on your feet, but also will track your gait to determine if you pronate or run funky or whatever. This will help prevent injury.
    -Get reflective tape or bands for running outside.
    -Run facing oncoming traffic. You can see them coming, even when they can't see you because they're too busy talking or texting on the phone. Even on the sidewalks, do this.
    -Stretch. Before and after. And well. Or suffer the next two days (or more). Shoulders, sides, back, quads, hammies, hips, neck. Don't forget to stretch the bottoms of your feet and your calves and shins. This will help prevent shin splints AND plantar fasciitis, which could take you out for weeks. Roll your feet on a tennis ball or frozen water bottle after every run. Soak them in an epsom salt bath.
    -Hydrate well the night before and during the day before your run, then afterward.
    -Starting out, distance is more important than speed. I'll repeat: Distance is more important than speed. Once you get the endurance, you can increase your speed. You may have to jog so slow you think you could walk faster, just to complete the workout. Just do it.
    -It never gets easier: YOU GET BETTER at it! Make it fun. Get a great play list.
    -The hardest part is that first step out the door.
    -Smile; you never know who you're inspiring :wink: And it hurts/sucks less if you're smiling.

If you're on Facebook, there's a great motivational page called Favorite Run. There are novices and experts and everything in between giving advice and feedback. And they post lots of motivational memes too.

Okay, some good points, but let me point out that there is room for individual variation. For example, recent studies seem to be indicating that if you like stretching then stretch, but if you're a "non-stretcher" then don't stretch. I've never stretched before or after runs.

And IF you are going to wear traditional running shoes, then yes, get fitted at a running store. I don't wear shoes when I run and if I'm in a place with any foot cutting risks then I wear minimalist shoes. I always got shin splits before I switched. Again, it works for me.

My point is find what works for you. Yes, there are certain things that you shouldn't do. Using a heel strike without wearing shoes definitely comes to mind. But there is plenty of room to just let go, breathe and run.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Google the Couch to 5K program. There are even itunes mixes for the C25K that will tell you when to start running and when to walk.

^^ This!
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options

ready-lets-go.jpg

LOVE THIS!!! :)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I love all the programs, but I just went outside and ran. I stopped when I couldn't breathe and then went back out the next day to try again. I just kept that up.

I also did this. I found C25K to be a little too basic for me and couldn't figure out which day I should start on. So I just started running until I couldn't anymore and then would walk for a few minutes to slow my heart rate down and then repeat again for 30-40 min. The best advice that helped me was to slow down. When I was going at a 4.8 pace I could run for 7-8 min straight and felt great. When I went above 5.2, I could only go like 4 min. Good luck!
  • shezll
    shezll Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Okay, some good points, but let me point out that there is room for individual variation. For example, recent studies seem to be indicating that if you like stretching then stretch, but if you're a "non-stretcher" then don't stretch. I've never stretched before or after runs.

And IF you are going to wear traditional running shoes, then yes, get fitted at a running store. I don't wear shoes when I run and if I'm in a place with any foot cutting risks then I wear minimalist shoes. I always got shin splits before I switched. Again, it works for me.

My point is find what works for you. Yes, there are certain things that you shouldn't do. Using a heel strike without wearing shoes definitely comes to mind. But there is plenty of room to just let go, breathe and run.
    [/quote]

I agree with both posts from this guy! I went from not running a couple of years ago at 211lb and within the year I ran two half marathons. I went out and just started. Each time I pushed myself a little bit more. Until I was fit enough to take on a challenge. After that I loved it!! I never have stretched before a run either. Anyway I took some time out, so I'm starting back again. Good luck with your running.
  • shezll
    shezll Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Doh!! I needed to quote my last post :ohwell:
  • paigemulroe
    paigemulroe Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When I started running six years ago, what I did was use my ipod to help. I would make a goal like run for one song and then walk for the next. I kept increasing the number of run songs until before I knew it I was running for hours without stopping. Trust me once you get into running, there is no way you won't love it. :happy:
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options

Someone else pointed out getting good shoes. Get some minimalist style shoes. I love my Brooks Pure shoes. I had lots of injuries when I started out. I have not been injured since I switched to them.

Minamalist shoes have a place and time, but for a first time, novice runner, I would strongly suggest something cushioned to start with, minimalist shoes aren't a good fit for new runners.

By the way, year ago, the most I'd ever run was 3 miles, now my long runs are up to 18 miles and I registered for my first full marathon this week. Just get started...no matter where you are when you start, you will surprise the hell out of yourself a year later!
  • collteach328
    collteach328 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k!! And find a running buddy or two that can keep you motivated when it gets tough. I started running back in February to prepare for a 5k I wanted to run with my daughter in April. I didn't even get the whole way through the Couch to 5k, but I ran my very first 5k (the Diva 5k in North Myrtle Beach, SC) on April 28. My time was pitiful (41 minutes), but I ran almost the whole time! My daughter (who is only 9) fell and cut up her leg, so we stopped long enough for me to use my pants to wipe up the blood, then we cruised to the finish.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Someone else pointed out getting good shoes. Get some minimalist style shoes. I love my Brooks Pure shoes. I had lots of injuries when I started out. I have not been injured since I switched to them.

Minamalist shoes have a place and time, but for a first time, novice runner, I would strongly suggest something cushioned to start with, minimalist shoes aren't a good fit for new runners.

By the way, year ago, the most I'd ever run was 3 miles, now my long runs are up to 18 miles and I registered for my first full marathon this week. Just get started...no matter where you are when you start, you will surprise the hell out of yourself a year later!

Better to ditch the cushion and to learn the gait right away if that's the direction someone is going. Otherwise, they'll have to build their feet and calves up later which can be frustrating.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

I think it a good idea for the novice runner to start with minimalist shoes. They will quickly learn proper foot plant and stride while not becoming dependent on arch supported, motion control running shoes. Their foot will strengthen and they will have less injury.

I had to lay off running for over 2 years and dreaded starting over because of my near chronic shin splints. Though I had 3 pair of new Asics Kayanos, I bought a pair of NB Minimus and never looked back. No pain, no injury and my feet have never looked so good in all my years of running - thin and muscular with higher arches to better absorb shock loading.

A while back I tried running in the Kayanos and after about 1/2 mile turned around and picked up the Minimus. Felt like I was trying to run in high heeled boots. BTW I weighed around 240lbs when I started in the Minimus.

I now weigh 222lbs and ran a little over 75 miles last month. I expect to run in the Minimus until I wear holes in them.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Better to ditch the cushion and to learn the gait right away if that's the direction someone is going. Otherwise, they'll have to build their feet and calves up later which can be frustrating.

^^^^^This
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    one foot in front of the other ?
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm currently starting to run myself. I tried the C25K thing a few times, but kept getting bored and never made it through. So I'm just running til I can't run anymore then walking for a bit and then running again. I'm enjoying it, although I ran into multiple clouds of bugs tonight - so gross!!! I also just downloaded the Zombies Run! app on my iphone. Not quite convinced yet, but it's fun and distracting - I'm willing to keep giving it a try so far!

Good luck!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    As far as non-running exercises you can do at home with no equipment, nerdfitness.com has several good bodyweight circuits that will give you a great workout without any equipment. I highly recommend them.