Coffee Addicts Unite!

Options
2»

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at my food diary yesterday trying to figure out how to cut down on the coffee calories. I drink 1-3 cups a day with splenda, sugar free caramel syrup, and 4+ Tbsp half and half.

I bought skim plus fat free half and half and tried it this morning. No dice...just not as tasty. I tried doing a little half and half and then topping off with the skim plus. Better but no better on the calorie front.

I just decided that I will have to limit myself to one cup. I can have a second in the evening after the baby goes to bed if I have the calories left as a treat. Otherwise...it's one cup only. I would rather limit my cups and enjoy it than use fat free and not enjoy the taste as much.

I drink mine black, but one of the women I work with uses evaporated fat free milk (in the can). It's got the consistency of cream...
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Joy Bauer on the Today Show mentioned enhanced skim milk as being thicker than other skim milks and therefore more up your alley (she said brands like Farmland Dairies’ Skim Plus, Over the Moon, and Smart Balance). There is also a fat free half and half.
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I also have one of the hand held milk frothers and I will heat some milk in the bottom of my mug, froth it, and top it with coffee.
  • doodlbug
    doodlbug Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It's funny that you should post this, because I was just thinking about how coffee drinks are my biggest problem. I can't drink it black and I dislike sugar free syrups. However my compromise has been to get nonfat milk and instead of getting a medium or large, I get the smaller sizes. That helps!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I am a coffee snob too! Doc suggested I give it up.... not happening! I have cut down from a whole pot to 3 cups per day. Just can't do food first thing in the morning, coffee first! Some things in life you just can't compromise on, and real cream in my coffee is one. My first cup gets 2 tablespoons, I drink half and refill with coffee. After I empty that cup the next one gets 1 tablespoon of cream. If I have any more coffee during the day I drink it black with a meal or snack. Yes I log it every day. I used to love getting the mochas from the coffee shop but as I changed my food choices the mocha just got too sweet and I couldn't drink it.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I use a little fat free french vanilla or fat free hazelnut w/ skim milk to stretch it! Love my coffee as well :)
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Try one of the soy creamers? Silk's Original is 15cal/1g fat per tablespoon.

Get a French press and a lighter roast coarse ground (instead of the autodrip ground). Coarse ground doesn't brew quite as bitter.

Edit: as far as sweetners go, try Sun Crystals. 5 cals per packet. It's a mix of stevia (natural plant) and regular sugar.

ooooo, where would I find those? At a regular grocery store or do I have to check out the health store?

The Silk Creamer? Sometimes you can find it in where the soy milks are, other times if your grocery store has a separate natural food section, it'll be in there. If not, you can always ask if they'll stock it for you.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Try one of the soy creamers? Silk's Original is 15cal/1g fat per tablespoon.

Get a French press and a lighter roast coarse ground (instead of the autodrip ground). Coarse ground doesn't brew quite as bitter.

Edit: as far as sweetners go, try Sun Crystals. 5 cals per packet. It's a mix of stevia (natural plant) and regular sugar.

ooooo, where would I find those? At a regular grocery store or do I have to check out the health store?

The Silk Creamer? Sometimes you can find it in where the soy milks are, other times if your grocery store has a separate natural food section, it'll be in there. If not, you can always ask if they'll stock it for you.

Aww I actually meant the Sun Crystals, lol :)
  • Kushiel32
    Options
    I also have one of the hand held milk frothers and I will heat some milk in the bottom of my mug, froth it, and top it with coffee.

I have never thought of frothing my milk where would I find one of those and what do they look like. I bet that it tastes really good