Why can't I stay on the wagon????

Options
I am having the hardest time, seems like one step forward two steps back type of thing. I don't know what is wrong with me, I will do good for awhile then just have no self control, which starts with one bad meal that leads to several days of eating very bad and not exercising. I am getting really frustrated with myself, why can't I just stick with it???

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    It's a bumpy ride sista - hold on tight!
    (you haven't fallen off if you're still here)
  • Nikki135
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself... Just remember that this is a lifelong thing and we have everyday to improve. You haven't fallen. Your still holding on;-)
  • countrymama08
    Options
    I have been reading the book, The Beck Diet Solution. There is a workbook too. It talks about maintaining motivation. There is a lot in it about responding to negative thoughts.
  • kristelagarcia
    kristelagarcia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking everything? I know when I stopped tracking everything, the weight started to pile on and there were no red numbers to tell me I've reached caloric goals, plus exercising was definitely not on my mind. When I track things, I feel in control of my diet, and exercising just feels like a natural part of that control (plus it allows me to eat a little more if I'm still hungry).

Another thing, you might not be doing a exercise routine you enjoy! I recently started attending these free dance classes at school, and I know I'm burning major calories cause I walk out drenched, but I'm always having the time of my life- it never feels like exercise. You should try Zumba, I hear that's pretty fun too.

Swimming was also really fun- because you burned more in less time- plus it doesn't strain your body like running or something like that.
  • caseysray
    caseysray Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Because it isn't easy! I'm right there with you. I was doing great, but now I eat everything in sight and rarely exercise. However, this isn't the end. We've got to get back to it and remember how great we feel when we treat our bodies right.

You can do this!
  • raqueltabor
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself!!! It's really hard to stay motivated, trust me, I know! Have you tried putting up a picture of yourself (or keeping it in your wallet) when you were closer to your goal weight/at your goal weight? That has motivated me a ton. Also taking care of myself in other ways rather than judging myself for a "bad" meal. Pedicures work wonders!!!!!!!!! Hang in there!!! You CAN do it! :)
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hold on tight!

I have the same problem, but I feel really determined this time around. My problem is that I KNOW when I am falling off, but do it anyway. It usually starts with a cookie for me... What does it start with for you? Fast food? Or ice cream? AVOID THAT LIKE THE PLAGUE. I have noticed my own cookie trend, and I will not come within a mile of a chocolate chip cookie now! I went to a meeting for work last night and there in front of me sat the largest platter of cookies ever... And I trudged over to the salad (which was actually quite delicious, but hard to acknowledge with the smell of cookie-goodness in the air) and sat next to a girl who ate five cookies.

I really wish you luck on your journey. I encourage you to find the things that trigger your "naughty days," because knowing is half the battle!

:)
  • herky
    herky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am the EXACT same way. But really, since you are still on here you haven't completely fallen off the wagon. Get back up and keep going! Im not sure how to stay motivated 100%, if I knew, I would have reached my goal a long time ago!

Good luck and know that we are all fighting the same battle!
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It's difficult for all of us to stay on the wagon. I guess the key for me is to not deny myself, if I'm craving something I eat it I just don't do it every day and when I do the portions are small. If I feel like I'm missing something I freak out and fall right off the wagon. We have to remember that this is a lifestyle change and not a diet. Diets end and we stop being careful about what we put past our teeth and a lifestyle change gives us tools like moderation and control to use for the rest of our lives.

My best to you. Try not to be so hard on yourself. When you get down on yourself think, "Would I say this to a friend?" If the answer is no then you shouldn't be saying it to yourself either. We're here for you, don't forget it!
  • Kawena1435
    Options
    You've lost so much weight already!! Pick up some dumbells that are the same amount of how much you lost already. It's gonna be pretty heavy! Can you imagine yourself carrying that much weight again?! You can do it! We are all here for support! If you've already started to see a difference, wooh! more is on the way!

Just keep in mind why you are the losing weight and that cookie or plate of fatty foods will look unappealing. YOU CAN DO IT! We are with you!
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i can't tell you how many times i've felt like you before. just know that if you acknowledge it and learn from that experience that you can keep right at it! don't let one slip up or a million keep you from where you want to be. it's not easy to lose weight by any means. so just try to find the tiniest bit of motivation and keep at it!!
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Learn to identify those trigger foods and avoid them. For me that's simple carbs. I've learned even a few bites can start me on a binge. If taming the carb monster is the problem, then try Organic Apple Cider Vinegar immediately before or after each meal. I'm being lazy and not typing things I've already said on another thread so just follow this link if you wanna know more:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/83045-apple-cider-vinegar-helps-conquer-carb-cravings
  • JUSTFORME2010
    JUSTFORME2010 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I dont want this to sound mean because I completely understand. My husband is the same way he just cant control himself. I am 47 and fat my whole life and one day somthing happened and I decided that I couldnt keep gaining weight or I would have serious medical problems. I have not missed a day since May 1.

You have to figure out what is important to you and make it more important than food. You need to mark down everything down to the gram that you eat and make choices you can live with.

Good Luck
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Thank you all soooo much!!! You have no idea how much it helps!!