Women- What are your BodyFat and Muscle Mass goals?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I don't have specific muscle mass goals, but I do want to build muscle and reduce body fat. I've been weak and over-fat ever since piling on weight after being underweight and anorexic as a teenager (fyi - not great for muscle mass).

I've already gone from about 45% body fat to about 32%, but I'd love to see 20% at some point! When I look at photos, the physiques I seem to like best are reported at around 18-20% BF. Of course, that doesn't give me information as to how much muscle they're carrying around. Also, I'm 5'0" so I'm sure those women are much taller than me as well - not sure how much effect that has on how realistic a goal that would be for me :smile:.
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I'm glad I asked. I would have never thought 20% body fat would be so many women's ideals by the charts online!
  • savemama
    Options
    Sorry, dumb question maybe, but how is muscle mass meassured?

Well I'm no expert but I have a scale at home that uses an electronic pulse to measure your fat/water/bone/muscle %
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My lean body mass is about 135 pounds. I am 5'7" and 180. I am aiming to lose maybe 15 more pounds.

My goal is to keep my lean mass as high as possible. I am nearing 40, and I want muscle to lose. I would be perfectly happy to stay 180 and have my lean mass increase to 145...for me it's all about having the strength to do what I want when I am 80. High bone density and muscle mass now is half the battle.

Editing to add that my Body fat is just about 26 %, and my BMI is just under 29.
  • savemama
    Options
    My lean body mass is about 135 pounds. I am 5'7" and 180. I am aiming to lose maybe 15 more pounds.

My goal is to keep my lean mass as high as possible. I am nearing 40, and I want muscle to lose. I would be perfectly happy to stay 180 and have my lean mass increase to 145...for me it's all about having the strength to do what I want when I am 80. High bone density and muscle mass now is half the battle.

Editing to add that my Body fat is just about 26 %, and my BMI is just under 29.

I'm sorry I'm new at this. Could you explain- lean mass can't be muscle only? That would be too much... I must be missing something.
  • savemama
    Options
    Bump!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I am 5'0 currently at 125 pounds and from online calculations around 25% body fat. I take that with a grain of salt because the online calculator is not as accurate as a water test or a scale test would be.

I am looking to maintain my muscle mass and lose some fat through lifting and HIIT cardio. I remember somewhere online that to get to my ideal body fat percentage, which would be 18-20%, I would need to be 105-114 pounds. I also take this with a grain of salt because the calculator does not know how many pounds of LBM I have right now, so it's inaccurate to guess how many pounds of fat I would need to lose while maintaining my LBM to get to that percentage.

Basically I am just going off of look and feel and not so much weight.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 135 pounds. Currently at around 21%BF with 108 pounds of lean mass. I would eventually like to be at ~17%BF with around 115 pounds of lean mass. It will take a while to build that much muscle.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

I'm sorry I'm new at this. Could you explain- lean mass can't be muscle only? That would be too much... I must be missing something.

It's everything but fat, so, bones organs skin etc
  • savemama
    Options
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!