In Need of a Healthy French Toast Recipe

Options
merryberry99
merryberry99 Posts: 350 Member
I ADORE french toast and was wondering if anyone has any healthy, yet simple recipes. I'm a terrible cook, so anything complex will not work for this girl. LOL! Thank you in advance for your help!

Replies

• Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just bread dipped in eggy milk? then lightly pan fried. nothing too "unhealthy" about it, And pretty simple i think.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just bread dipped in eggy milk? then lightly pan fried. nothing too "unhealthy" about it, And pretty simple i think.

agreed... Maybe just use a light bread, egg whites instead of a whole egg... and cinnamon. Lots of cinnamon!! :)
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you consider "healthy". It's eggs, bread, and butter. You could use some low-cal bread, dip in egg-beaters and substitute cooking spray for butter, then top with sugar free syrup. Hmmm...I may have to try this myself this weekend.
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    agreed... Maybe just use a light bread, egg whites instead of a whole egg... and cinnamon. Lots of cinnamon!! :)

mmm im so gunna do this!
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's more of a holiday recipe but the Eggnog French Toast fron skinnytaste.com is awesome! Even easier when you use Egg Beaters rather than actual egg whites.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use a 100% whole wheat bread that's not too dense, so it will soak up the egg. Eggbeaters, cooking spray. To eat I just use a little Benecol and maybe half a teaspoon of jam on a slice - you don't need very much jam to get the taste, and I find it easier to control the amount than with syrup. And less messy if you need to eat them on the run!

Also, I make a whole loaf's worth at once, eat a couple, and let the rest cool/dry on a cooling rack. Then I put 2 slices in each baggie and freeze them - ready to pop in the toaster when I want them.
  • PinkyMouse
    PinkyMouse Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Last time I did french toasts it was for my step-familly (the entire familly !). We were 25 persons, so to gain time instead of pan fry the toast I layed them on a biscuit plaque with baking sheet and put them in the oven 400°F.

NO FAT and AS TASTY !!!
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Omg, I just made some very delicious french toast the other morning. For 2 pieces plus the syrup, it was only 171 calories. Feel free to view my diary for the exact items that I used. It was yesterday (Tuesday June 4) listed under meal 1.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Last time I did french toasts it was for my step-familly (the entire familly !). We were 25 persons, so to gain time instead of pan fry the toast I layed them on a biscuit plaque with baking sheet and put them in the oven 400°F.

NO FAT and AS TASTY !!!

But i love fat!
  • ldattarm
    ldattarm Posts: 1
    Options
    1 egg (yes, a whole egg, which will provide you with a number of nutrients and are one of the only natural sources of Vitamin D), 1/4 cup milk (preferably hormone free), 1/8 tsp salt, beat together with a fork, dip bread in to desired saturation and cook in pan using Extra virgin coconut oil.

EV Coconut Oil is composed mainly of medium-chain triglycerides and it currently being used to stem further damage is Alzheimer and MS patients as it is food for the nerve cells.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Damn! Now I'm hungry!!!
  • jkannon5001
    jkannon5001 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use Heiner's 35 calorie wheat bread dipped in egg beaters with a little sugar free syrup. I don't have the exact calorie count, but it's not much.
  • dqgirl1
    dqgirl1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use a light bread or a pepperidge farms swirl bread to make mine usually. I use 1 egg to a cup of egg whites..no need to add milk. I use vanilla extract or almond and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice( depending on my bread type) I top with low sugar preserves or fresh fruit and light whip cream( just a tbsp or 2) about 200 cals for 2 pieces and so yummy:)
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    French toast is healthy, period. Eggs are good for you, bread a necessary staple, milk is calcium. If you feel the need to reduce the fat, do that, but I would think it would make more sense to enjoy the french toast and cut somewhere else.
  • sunshine2224
    Options
    I have been making this for years. My husband loves it.

5 slices of light bread
    2 eggs or 3 egg whites
    1/2 cup pumpkin
    add enough milk to get the right consistency

Spray griddle with pam

when bread is on the griddle, I sprinkle flax seed over bread. this gives it a slight nutty taste.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Healthy and Unhealthy are subjective terms.

A typical French Toast made from a thick bread, eggs, milk, and cinnamon are not unhealthy at all. Just watch how much you are eating and what condiments you are putting on them.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Peach & Raspberry French Toast Bake

serves 5 to 6

Weekend family breakfasts can be made special with something fresh baked, wholesome and delicious. This recipe is simple to prepare in advance or a minute. Feel free to vary the ingredients to what you and your family enjoy. This recipe is also good prepared the night before, refrigerated & covered, and popped into the oven in the morning.

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Ingredients:
    3 to 4 Morning Grain pitas sliced into halves
    or Multigrain OneBuns
    4 extra large eggs
    4 oz or 4 egg whites (can be purchased as liquid egg whites)
    1 cup milk or soy milk
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    Pinch of salt
    3 cups of canned, drained sliced or frozen peaches
    1 cup of frozen raspberries
    3 tbsp brown sugar
    ¼ tsp of cinnamon,
    Grating of nutmeg

Grease a 2 qt casserole pan (8 x 12 inches approximately)
    Place the sliced pitas in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish overlapping edges slightly.
    In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, salt and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture over the sliced pitas.
    Top with peaches and raspberries. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle over entire mixture. Add a grating of nutmeg if desired. Bake at 350° F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until set and slightly puffy. Cut into squares and serve with maple syrup and your favourite breakfast side dish.

Variations
    Change the varieties of fruit and berries, and substitute the peaches if you like with sweet plums, fresh apricots or sliced nectarines. For berries, try blueberries, cranberries or a frozen berry blend.
    Change the topping by substituting homemade oatmeal crumble or adding sliced almonds or walnut crumbs to the brown sugar topping.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I hate that you actually just suggested pita bread for French Toast.